1994 Western Division Final Last Drive

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CB123
Legend

I'll start uploading more BC Lions clips when I have time.
Thats awesome, Iv been trying to find good Lions clips for so long.
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
rb
Champion

I missed the first half because I was working on a university group assignment. Then, there was a power outage that day in my area; I had to listen to the 2nd half on radio. And the batteries were starting to die toward the end of the game. But what a great moment.

I'll never forget Larscheid yelling "Yes!" at the top of his lungs when Flutie caught the final pass. He must've really buried the needle because the radio operator turned the volume right down so that, a second or two later, you could only faintly hear JP say "Touchdown BC!"

I also remember that Wally apparently had a big smile on his face when Doug Flutie went for about a 50-yard scamper just prior to the blocked FG. Just after the game Larscheid says "Wally Buono doesn't have such a big smile on his face now!"

Thanks for posting this video, Almo.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

A few more thoughts after watching the clip:

#1.
While Darren Flutie had a great WDF, he wasn't too influential in the Grey Cup game as I believe he only caught one pass. Ray Alexander was most influential receiver in the Grey Cup game with at least two long receptions that set up two field goals, with the last catch being rather controversial. That said, why did the Lions let Ray Alexander get away to Ottawa in 1995 after five years of faithful service by him, capped off with a Grey Cup?

#2.
We all know it's been debated to death whether Dickenson or Printers should have started the 2004 Grey Cup. In the 2004 WDF, Printers started while Dickenson finished. In the 1994 WDF, Kent Austin started, became injured, and Danny McManus finished. However, Dave Ritchie still elected to start Kent Austin for the Grey Cup and that was announced several days before the start of the game. I don't recall nearly as much controversy if at all by Lions fans in the days leading up to the game.

One is left to wonder whether Kent Austin would have been pulled from the 1994 Grey Cup had he not been injured. Austin went 7-16 with three interceptions, while McManus went 3-7 with no interceptions.
maddeep73
Champion

While Darren Flutie had a great WDF, he wasn't too influential in the Grey Cup game as I believe he only caught one pass.
He did bootleg on a fake field goal to set up a major in the Grey Cup.
Then, there was a power outage that day in my area;
I was watching at Pigskin Patriots apartment and we had the same problem. We raced over to my folks place and caught the fourth. Awesome.
Keepin' it real
Gerry
Legend

almo89 wrote:I captured the last drive from VHS to mpeg and then uploaded to youtube so all of you can enjoy. I'll start uploading more BC Lions clips when I have time.

Thank you very much, almo. I had to work that day and did not see the game as it was being played. I listened on the radio at work.

That was a great clip. Thanks again.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

In light of this thread, I think a re-post of these pictures presented by ThreeTimesOneMinusOne is in order.

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I missed something. What is that bit about "wrong route"??
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
almo89
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:I missed something. What is that bit about "wrong route"??
i think the pass was originally intended for murphy and somehow Flutie bounced around and got open. I think that's what it is but it's been too long. Gotta search the old tapes for the post game stuff.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

If I recall Flutie was supposed to run another pattern. He cut the pattern off when he saw that he was left uncovered in the end zone. The intended receiver on the play was Yo Murphy.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

A short video on the final play can also be seen at:

http://www.bclions.com/video/video_pop. ... deo/recaps
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The BC Sports Hall of Fame web site just added some clips of the 1994 playoffs. While all of you remember that final drive in the 1994 WDF, I'd say a lot less of you remember the action from earlier in the game. Darren Flutie caught a total of three touchdown passes that day. The low resolution clip shows the two earlier TD passes caught by Darren Flutie, while the high resolution clip includes highlights from the 1994 Grey Cup game as well, and ends with the locker room Grey Cup celebration.

http://www.bcsportshalloffame.com/docs/ ... qtlow.html
http://www.bcsportshalloffame.com/docs/ ... thigh.html

The scoreboard in the background of the scene showing Darren Flutie's second touchdown catch indicates that the score at the time was 34-21 for Calgary with 2:06 remaining in the third quarter. So it was superb of the BC defence to limit Doug Flutie and the Calgary offence to just two singles for the rest of the game that included the entire fourth quarter.