NW Feb. 14 - Thelwell to sign with Stamps for six-figures.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Jim Mullin
Team Captain

Sources close to BC Lion free agent receiver Ryan Thelwell say he is ready to agree to a new deal with the Calgary Stampeders.

It is speculated as a six figure deal, above what the Non-import receiver was asking for in his latest round of negotiations.

The deal may be announced as soon as Friday.
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Great scoop Jim...

Stamps will certainly be doing this under the radar. I've always liked Brett Ralph and thought they under used him last year, obviously Higgins feels they need an upgrade instead.

Great news for Thelwell and his family given the proximity to Vancouver. Bad news for us in that he stays in the West.
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

Confirmed
Rammer
Team Captain

Yep, not liking him staying in the West playing against us 4 times this season....but it will be nice to see him live twice this season. :thup:
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Well that is a good deal for RT now that he is paired with the League's top QB or so the voting by the players, etc. suggested. ...lol.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Dhaliwal's reports Thelwell's deal is $115,000 and the Stamps were the only team willing to offer him six figures.

Sounds like the Lions were closer to retaining him than I thought they would be.
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

Sportsnet.ca -- The Calgary Stampeders have agreed to terms with wide receiver Ryan Thelwell, CKNW Radio in Vancouver is reporting. The deal is expected to be one year plus an option that will pay the London, Ontario native $115,000 next season.

While the free agency period in the Canadian Footlball League does not begin until Thursday at midnight, the B.C. Lions had given the Stampeders permission to talk to the six-year CFL veteran. The deal is expected to be announced Thursday.

Known to the Lions faithful as "Automatic" because he always seems to catch the ball, Thelwell is a two-time West All-Star. His numbers dipped a bit last season after setting career highs in 2005 with 1,035 receiving yards and seven touchdowns.

During is college stint at Minnesota , Thelwell set a school record with 1,051 receiving yards and was a second team All-Big Ten selection in 1996. That season he was ranked third in his conference and 18th nationally, averaging 95.6 receiving yards per game. He was later drafted by the San Francisco 49ers of the National Football League.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Good receiver, better team and community person. IIRC Alfred Jackson helped him out earlier in his stay here and gave him the confidence he needed to be a force.

I'll miss his abilities, but its time to move on I suppose.

You know its that Lion King thing, circle of life kinda deal.

Josh Boden awaits................................
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I wish Thelwell the best except the four times he plays the Lions.
lion24
Legend

geez, i have a printers,clermont and thelwell jersey and clermont seems to be on his way out. i just got a simon third jersey so if he leaves just blame me!!!
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
SammyGreene
Team Captain

lion24 wrote:geez, i have a printers,clermont and thelwell jersey and clermont seems to be on his way out. i just got a simon third jersey so if he leaves just blame me!!!
:lol: :lol:

Geroy signed a 3-year deal so he is safe for a while.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

lion24 wrote:geez, i have a printers,clermont and thelwell jersey and clermont seems to be on his way out. i just got a simon third jersey so if he leaves just blame me!!!
Do us a favour and don't buy anymore Lions jerseys. :roll: :wink: