Can David Braley save the Fireworks? Why such a bad idea?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

120dB
Legend

If David Braley could step forward and help with the remaining $ 300,000 to help save the Fireworks Festival this summer, what a marketing opportunity that would be for the Lions.

I have in the past suggested different marketing ideas for the Lions. Many times I was shot down in flames.

But consider the potential of this. Braley saves the Fireworks by becoming a partner with HSBC and at the same time requests that every person who attends the Fireworks come out to one Lions game.

If 1.2 million people attend the fireworks every summer, if 10 per cent acknowledge the request to come out to one Lions game that year, imagine how much of a boost that would give attendance.

Telus has withdrawn their committment and instead is aligning themselves with the Olympics. That is their decision. Why can't the BC Lions step forward and take Telus's place? No reason at all I think.

It would be a tremendous marketing opportunity for the BC Lions. I don't look at it from the standpoint of forking out $ 300,000.

Consider how huge the Fireworks is for Vancouver and the potential of a marketing relationship between the BC Lions and the Summer Fireworks.

So why is this such a bad idea? Go ahead shoot me down...

or mabey try to see the forest from the trees
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The fireworks make alot of noise don't they ? :lol:
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:The fireworks make alot of noise don't they ? :lol:
You forgot the large crowds to boot. 8)
Entertainment value = an all time low
D
Team Captain

It's a good idea IF .... there are home games scheduled around the time of the fireworks
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Gerry
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:The fireworks make alot of noise don't they ? :lol:
How did I know that someone would make this comment? :lol:

If you didn't, I might have.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

You've been watching the game films haven't you ? :wink: Gotta to add a few new wrinkles.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

If they could get their name on the barge, that would be pretty good too! Sounds like a really good idea to me. But then again, lots think I'm and idiot. :roar:
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

If Mr. Braley has $300,000 burning a hole in his pocket I would think he would spend that money DIRECTLY on the Lions and NOT on some ancillary event that MIGHT attract some fans.

Good try for suggesting, but certainly not very cost effective.
Lionut
Hall of Famer

This is the kind of sponsorship that needs a major retailer, the kind of company with revenues in the billions, to go grab. The Lions are really a pretty small business when you think about it, and as Lion Guy says, that $300,000 is probably better spent on game day promotional stuff to get butts directly in the seats.

Consider something else as well -- when a major corporation like Telus, for whom $300,000 is a pretty small amount of money, decides to pull out, you have to start asking yourself how attractive the sponsorship opportunity really is.

I'm not an expert, but I know a little bit about how corporations and organizations think about sponsorship, and the general line of thinking is this -- if you don't own the name and the event, don't bother. In other words, because HSBC is the "title" sponsor here, other organizations feel like their name and logo gets lost in the shuffle. You end up seeing your logo up on a board with half a dozen other companies/organizations, and after a while you start to wonder if there aren't some better uses for the money. You can bet that's what Telus was thinking when they dumped their portion, because as mentioned, it certainly wasn't the cost. They just figure they can better bang for their buck by taking that money and being the sole sponsor of some other event(s), and they are probably right.

Finally, if this event does die, you can thank the former federal government, as it was their legislation that forced Benson & Hedges to drop their long time sponsorship of the event. Yes, I know -- thousands of kids went home from those fireworks in years past and said, "You know what? I don't smoke, but I think I'm going to start because Benson & Hedges sponsored the fireworks tonight." :roll:
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
CB123
Legend

Telus has withdrawn their committment and instead is aligning themselves with the Olympics.
I thought Bell out bid Telus for some contract with the Olympics. I know Telus was a HUGE part of the bid process to get the Olympics, but then after didn?t Bell take some contract out from under them for the actual games? You would think after that Telus would be happy to take their money somewhere else.
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!