Empire Stadium Replay Screen

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

On another thread David cited a book on Lions history that says their was a replay screen used at Empire Stadium in 1970. A CFL first.

But no one seems to remember seeing this screen. So I did a bit of digging. I contacted my brother in law who works in promotion at the Province to see if there were any Sun or Province archives about a screen at Empire. Well, that would involve a labour intesive micro-fiche search and no one was willing to do that. But he did contact Lowell Ulrich and Terri Baker at the Lions on my behalf.

Lowell said the following:
"from my faded childhood memory i do recall a replay screen when the lions went big time towards the end of empire stadium's days. they had a screen that was covered by a rollup garage door when they added a scoreboard at the south (hastings st.) end"

But Terri checked with Bob Ackles and this was the reply:
"Found out that, yes, there was a replay screen built into Empire Stadium in the 70's... Apparently it was put there by the building without consulting the club first, and it became quite a political debate over the rights to it... The screen was never used by the Lions and remained there for the rest of its days. Apparently it was a 'state of the art' screen in its time..."

So the mystery of this history remains somewhat unsolved....
David
Team Captain

Thanks for the update BCL. That is very interesting. Contrary to what Bob remembers, they must have used it once - according to the book.

The next rainy Sunday (after football season), I shall go down to Library Square to see what I can dig up on microfiche. It's really not that hard to do as I have the date I need to research, and both papers (Sun and Province) are catalogued. I have done it in the past looking for other early Lion and Canuck stories I remember from my youth.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
D
Team Captain

I remeber some sort of screen at the hastings end but don't remember ever seeing it in use :juggle:

I do however remember riding the roller coaster pre and post game :yahoo:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Bosco
Team Captain

David wrote:The next rainy Sunday (after football season), I shall go down to Library Square to see what I can dig up on microfiche.
DH 8)
Dave - are you forecasting that every Sunday between next week and the start of the CFL season will be rain free? :bb:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:
David wrote:The next rainy Sunday (after football season), I shall go down to Library Square to see what I can dig up on microfiche.
DH 8)
Dave - are you forecasting that every Sunday between next week and the start of the CFL season will be rain free? :bb:
Quite the opposite, I think -- if he didn't add that modifier methinks that he'd miss the Super Bowl.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I don't recall a replay screen and I've been to many games at Empire Stadium prior to the Lions relocating to their present location.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

You were under it. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

I remember as an added feature they used it in a late season game in the mid 70's, maybe 1976. Had the resolution of the old Commonwealth Stadium screen. Some might remember that there was a "Players Filter" billboard placed over it in Empire's dying days.
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
TheZeppo
Starter

Belize City Lion wrote:On another thread David cited a book on Lions history that says their was a replay screen used at Empire Stadium in 1970. A CFL first.

But no one seems to remember seeing this screen. So I did a bit of digging. I contacted my brother in law who works in promotion at the Province to see if there were any Sun or Province archives about a screen at Empire. Well, that would involve a labour intesive micro-fiche search and no one was willing to do that. But he did contact Lowell Ulrich and Terri Baker at the Lions on my behalf.

Lowell said the following:
"from my faded childhood memory i do recall a replay screen when the lions went big time towards the end of empire stadium's days. they had a screen that was covered by a rollup garage door when they added a scoreboard at the south (hastings st.) end"

But Terri checked with Bob Ackles and this was the reply:
"Found out that, yes, there was a replay screen built into Empire Stadium in the 70's... Apparently it was put there by the building without consulting the club first, and it became quite a political debate over the rights to it... The screen was never used by the Lions and remained there for the rest of its days. Apparently it was a 'state of the art' screen in its time..."

So the mystery of this history remains somewhat unsolved....

Thanks for doing all this digging BCL. I am prepared to take Ackles'
version of the screen saga as being the correct one. I do vaguely
remember something on the south end scoreboard that could have
been a screen, although as I have stated before, I am certain that
I never saw it in use.
However, with that said, I would not be the least bit surprised if David's
search uncovered definitive proof that the screen was used at least once during a Lions' game. I certainly did not attend every game at
Empire Stadium during the early 70's, and as for Ackles, he may
have just forgotten.
Wouldn't it be great if David, or someone else, could dig up a photo
of the south end scoreboard? I would love to see it again.
sports & stuff----ric
Champion

i dont recall the screen either , even though i was at almost all the games at empire between 1973 to 1982
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

They used it for one game, late in the a season. There were even newspaper ads for it. So if you're suffling thru microfiche you might see the evidence of the use.
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
firstandgoal
Rookie

There was a replay screen at Empire. I recall only seeing it used once. I have a picture of it but I am not having any luck on attaching it here. Any suggestions?
Lead, follow or get out of the way!
Rammer
Team Captain

firstandgoal wrote:There was a replay screen at Empire. I recall only seeing it used once. I have a picture of it but I am not having any luck on attaching it here. Any suggestions?
Are you uinfamiliar with the attachment feature, or is it too large a file for the site? If the latter you could resize it and try again if that is possible.

Here is the breakdown of sizing....

Allowed Extension Groups and their Sizes
Archives -> Maximum Upload Size: 256 KB
ace gtar gz rar tar zip
Documents -> Maximum Upload Size: 256 KB
ai doc dot pdf ppt ps xls
Images -> Maximum Upload Size: 512 KB
gif jpeg jpg png tga tif
Plain Text -> Maximum Upload Size: 256 KB
c cpp diz h hpp txt
Entertainment value = an all time low
sports & stuff----ric
Champion

was the screen on top of the scoreclock in the endzone above the quarterback club seats ?? I must be getting old as i still cant remember it. :sigh: :sigh:
firstandgoal
Rookie

Here it is. Grey square looking area on the right side of the scoreboard.
Lead, follow or get out of the way!