Food/recipes/experiments/combos/etc

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Lionheart wrote:I thought this thread might offer some good experimental type help.

All I get is cans. :roll:

Ok, I'm going to be hosting a house warming party this summer and want to cook the animal (a pig or lamb or both) right in a hole in the ground, covered up.

Now help me with that Mr. can opener. :wink:
http://www.geocities.com/adams_dhanjal/recipes/lovo.htm
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Great... major homework.

Must find...

Mangrove tree (Stanley Park? :cr: )
Coconut Palm fronds (again, Stanley Park :cr: )
Banana leafs
Swamp Dalo leaves (<<< this one might be tough)
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

As an aside, I'm now making some Gravlax for the first time. I'll let ya know how that works out. :thup:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Looks like the house warming party may have to take place in the tropics.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Lionheart wrote:As an aside, I'm now making some Gravlax for the first time. I'll let ya know how that works out. :thup:
a gravol laxative???
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Soundy
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Simply amazing what heating up a can of Campbell's soup does to one's culinary skills ! :wink: :wink: I think I'm going to cook me up some mushroom soup tonight. :lol:
Just remember to open the can before heating it...
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

The Gravlax turned out awesome by the way. Next time I'll be adding more spices. :thup:
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

So we can expect this at the Superbowl bash? :yes: :wink: :beer:
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:So we can expect this at the Superbowl bash? :yes: :wink: :beer:
Zee HD Box and room have just been secured today. :yes:
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

The directions for Imu cooking are below but they missed a couple of steps.

I have taken it upon myself to add them

1. rent borrow or steal a digger, preferably at night.
2. Paint black or disguise with signs saying "Impark"
3. Dig hole for Imu at the site of Lionbackers Tailgater
(make sure not to do too far in advance or risk discovery and repair of said hole).
4. Place "Construction" signs around said hole before and during cooking process.
5. Make sure everybody is wearing a visitors Jersey during the cooking process and run away if the authorities show up.

To build an imu, a lua or round pit, about 2 feet to 4 feet deep with sloping sides, is dug into the earth. The diameter and depth of the lua will match the amount of food to be cooked. The pit must be large enough to contain not only the food, but the rocks and the vegetation. Keep the imu as compact as possible. Place the excavated dirt next to the pit. Later, it will be used to cover the imu. Next, gather kindling material, like twigs, small branches, and any other combustible tinder. Place the kindling material in the bottom center of the pit. Larger wood (preferably hardwood) is built around the kindling wood. Do not use wood that will impart an unpleasant taste to the food. Stones, about the size of a closed fist, are then positioned on top of the larger wood. Vesicular basalt stones are ideal for imu cooking. These porous rocks retain heat and are less likely to break. Stones that contain moisture, which causes the rock to explode when heated, should be avoided. The kindling wood is lighted and the blazing fire heats the pit and the stones. As the wood turns to charcoal, the imu stones drop inward on the hot coals. Firing time varies from 1 1/2 to 3 hours until the stones are at their maximum heat. The hot stones are then leveled out with a stick or wooden tongs to an even floor on top of the coals.

Since the cooking process requires steam and not dry heat, green plant materials are needed to create the steam. The Hawaiians utilized grass and leaves for their imu cooking. Some of the traditional plants were banana stumps, ti leaves, honohono grass, banana leaves, and coconut palm leaf (see the section on "Modern Adaptations on Imu Cooking" for plant substitutes). The common term used today to describe the green vegetation material and its use is hali'i, which is used to mean "to spread like the mat covering the floor".

Preparation is an important process to ensure a successful cooking. While the stones are being heated in the pit, gather and prepare any plant material you will need. If you'll be using banana stumps, they will have to be cut into sections smaller than the diameter of the pit. The sections are sliced lengthwise, either in half or quartered, depending on the size of the trunk. Then, the sliced stumps are pounded with a rock to break up the fibers and to release the moisture in the stumps. If a whole pig is going to be cooked, the skin and the inside cavity area are rubbed with a small amount of rock salt. When the stones are about ready, place all your food and vegetation materials near the pit. Also, lay your covering material next to the imu. Traditionally, the covering material before the final dirt cover were old lauhala mats or worn tapa cloth (see the section on "Modern Adaptations on Imu Cooking" for contemporary covering materials).

When the heated stones are ready, it is time to layer the imu with green vegetation, food, covering material, and dirt. The first layer of hali'i is laid directly over the hot rocks to prevent the food from being scorched and to create steam for cooking. If you have access to a banana trunk, use smashed banana stumps. Next, a second layer of hali'i is placed over the first layer. In Old Hawai'i, the green vegetation was ti leaves. This second layer is important in that it touches the food and adds flavor to the cooking meal. The food is placed on top of the ti leaves. If you are cooking a whole pig, a few hot stones are also placed inside the body cavity to insure the pig is well cooked. A third layer of hali'i covers the food. The old way used ti leaves with young, whole banana leaves on top. The covering material is then laid over the imu. The covering material must extend beyond the diameter of the pit's opening. This will keep any dirt from falling into the imu when the food is unearthed. The final layer is loose dirt, which is shoveled over the entire covering material to prevent any steam from escaping.

Estimating the time it takes to cook the food depends on the heat of the imu, the thickness of the hali'i, the kind of food, and the mass of the food. A large whole pig, in a good hot imu, may take from 6 to 8 hours of steaming time. When the cooking is done, brush away any loose dirt from the edges of the covering material. Remove the dirt from the lauhala mats or tapa cloth. Carefully lift off the covering material and avoid getting any dirt into the imu. Uncover the layers of hali'i and serve up your delicious meal.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
pacific
All Star