Who remembers...

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Speaking of money, do you remember that the Canadian federal government used to give "Family Allowances" cheques equaling about $35 per child to families that had kids? That generous program was scrapped around 1993.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:I have forgotten if this has been brought up in this thread, but forgive me if it has. Does anyone recall or still have their BCRIC shares given out to BC residents in 79?
I believe I still have mine. Probably not worth a cup of coffee.
Dierk

pinkfreud wrote:Frank Baker's Restaurant on Cambie Street a block or two south of W. 12th.
I used to request old 50's songs there for the lady to play on the piano. I (unsuccessfully) sang there once too when they switched from simple piano playing to Karaoke. I remember their buffet very well, newspaper articles on the walls and in the bathrooms... I even wrote a school report on Frank Baker himself.

I miss that place so much... :sigh:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Speaking of restaurants, do you remember the restaurant that Dan Russell would often endorse on his Sportstalk show in the 1980's? That was the Italian restaurant Tommy O's Off Broadway near Broadway and Commercial. I never got to eat at that restaurant before it closed. Did any of you?

Sportstalk also at one time had a "caller of the night" award in which a caller would win a $25 gift certificate to the Fogg n' Suds. That franchise still exists, but doesn't have as many locations as it used to.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Sportstalk also at one time had a "caller of the night" award in which a caller would win a $25 gift certificate to the Fogg n' Suds. That franchise still exists, but doesn't have as many locations as it used to.
The only FnS that I'm aware of is in the Holiday Inn, on Cambie Road in Richmond. I was there over the Easter Weekend. The company I work for was in the process of moving and had finished most of the hard part, and wanted to reward the warehouse staff for their efforts. What it turned out to be, was more of an food and drink session for the staff from Toronto and the management staff of 3 from here to get together and discuss various stuff.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

It was also 11 years ago today, on October 30, 1995, when Quebec held a referendum to see if they should secede from Canada and become an independent state. Quebec's independence was defeated by an extremely small margin, 50.58% "No" to 49.42% "Yes".
祝你龍年行大運。
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:It was also 11 years ago today, on October 30, 1995, when Quebec held a referendum to see if they should secede from Canada and become an independent state. Quebec's independence was defeated by an extremely small margin, 50.58% "No" to 49.42% "Yes".
"L'argent, et la vote ethnique."- J. Parizeau.

Je me souviens. Les gars bons gagne. :rockin:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Listening to Jim Robson and his broadcast of home Canuck games, I remember he would host his post-game show at the Centre Ice Restaurant in the Pacific Coliseum.

Did any of you eat at that restaurant when it existed?
祝你龍年行大運。
David
Team Captain

Okay, you're going to have to be older than 35 to remember this....probably closer to 45.

I vividly remember rainy Saturday afternoons in the winter watching The Bugs Bunny Roadrunner Hour at 4:00pm on CBC. Remember it used to be brought to you by Kraft with "the hands" that showed you Kraft recipes? They'd show you say, how to make Rice Krispy treats with Kraft marshmellows? :lol: Immediately followed by Hockey Night In Canada at 5:00pm, usually from the Montreal Forum. No double-header.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:Okay, you're going to have to be older than 35 to remember this....probably closer to 45.

I vividly remember rainy Saturday afternoons in the winter watching The Bugs Bunny Roadrunner Hour at 4:00pm on CBC. Remember it used to be brought to you by Kraft with "the hands" that showed you Kraft recipes? They'd show you say, how to make Rice Krispy treats with Kraft marshmellows? :lol: Immediately followed by Hockey Night In Canada at 5:00pm, usually from the Montreal Forum. No double-header.

DH 8)
See that show was 5:00PM for me.....45 it is.... :sigh:
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

"On with the show this is it!...." :lol:

You must have lived in "Mountain Time" Phil. It was always 4:00pm Pacific here.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:"On with the show this is it!...." :lol:

You must have lived in "Mountain Time" Phil. It was always 4:00pm Pacific here.

DH 8)
Correct, Mountain Time 5:00PM. I also recall the full cartoons that we don't always get now on Buggs and Company, especially the Roadrunner segments. They must have warped my mindset somewhere, just not sure which one to choose. :wink:

How about the Esso Tiger squirt guns in the 60's, they were a must have around my neighbourhood.
Entertainment value = an all time low
pinkfreud

Rammer wrote:
David wrote:Okay, you're going to have to be older than 35 to remember this....probably closer to 45.

DH 8)
Which bunny ears were longer? Bugs' or the ones on top of your TV?

:lol:
bbgirl
Legend

pinkfreud wrote:
Rammer wrote:

DH 8)

Which bunny ears were longer? Bugs' or the ones on top of your TV?

Robbie
Hall of Famer

You got me there, David. Despite my great memory on many things, I do not recall ever seeing that Kraft segment. I suppose I'm not that old yet, and no re-runs ever aired.

Speaking of shows that aired on Saturday afternoons prior to Hockey Night in Canada, I remember a weekly half hour segment called "NHL Breakaway" that aired during the 1988-89 season. That was a local show on CBC hosted by Steve Armitage that would feature recaps, interviews, and previews of the Vancouver Canucks that week. That was very similar to a show featuring the BC Lions that I mentioned in other forums that aired in 1987 called "Lions Playbook".
祝你龍年行大運。