ATTENDANCE THREAD FOR WESTERN FINAL

Buy or Sell Tickets (non profit) Info about the BC Lions in the Community and where Lions fans gather for events like tailgaters

Moderator: Team Captains

The_Pauser
Legend

Not to continue beating a dead horse, but I too agree that there hasn't been enough marketing of the game. I predict a crowd of 38,542. A little up from what we're used to in the regular season, but still well below what we would expect for the last game before the championship.

Here's to hoping its a BC/Calgary WDF and that maybe the storyline between the two teams will be enough to generate atleast 12,000 more ticket sales.
Roar you Lions roar!
SammyGreene
Team Captain

What a difference a year makes.

Lions now selling $29 seats up top starting in the usual silver price category at the 20-yard-line. A great deal for a sudden death playoff game.

A year of ago.... these seats were going for $45.... as was every other in the upper deck.
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

Team 1040 was reporting 28,000 sold as of today...thats 4,000 more than the last report a few days ago...hopefully that's a good sign.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

OrangeShoes99 wrote:Team 1040 was reporting 28,000 sold as of today...thats 4,000 more than the last report a few days ago...hopefully that's a good sign.
:thup:

Today's news regarding the award finalists can only help the cause.

With the Stones concert now postponed... wouldn't be surprised to learn the Lions will be holding all their practices in the dome leading up to the WF. That should make them even more media friendly.
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

Also full props to Don Taylor who stated:

"Anyone that hasn't been to a Western Final, if I had the choice to see a Western Final or a regular season NHL game...it's no contest, it would be the Western Final every time."
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
pinkfreud

OrangeShoes99 wrote:Also full props to Don Taylor who stated:

"Anyone that hasn't been to a Western Final, if I had the choice to see a Western Final or a regular season NHL game...it's no contest, it would be the Western Final every time."
Not to be overly negative about hockey, but I'm convinced that the only reason hockey is more popular than football is because of the differences in marketing.
David
Team Captain

Interesting point PF. That definitely factors into it (there's undboubtedly a certain sheep herd mentality when it comes to Canada's national sport), but I have to admit, for the uninitiated hockey is an easier game to grasp, flows better and, for the most part, contains more exciting plays (but I still prefer football!). I am always amazed at the wide chasm between the fervour the sport of hockey brings about in Canada as compared to the almost complete indifference from American sports fans. I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

As for football, I commend female fans such as yourself that have taken an interest in the CFL, have taken the time to learn the terminology and strategy, and care enough to come on and talk football. Okay, and shoes. :lol:

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
BEEECEEE
All Star

OrangeShoes99 wrote:Team 1040 was reporting 28,000 sold as of today...thats 4,000 more than the last report a few days ago...hopefully that's a good sign.
Thats a good number. Makes me believe we will have over 40,000.
I'll say 42,024
Formely sfu_guy
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

David wrote:As for football, I commend female fans such as yourself that have taken an interest in the CFL, have taken the time to learn the terminology and strategy, and care enough to come on and talk football. Okay, and shoes. :lol: DH 8)
David I know your comment was more directed at PF, but I include myself in the "such as yourself" comment. I was lucky enough to grow up with a peripheral appreciation of the CFL. I say 'peripheral', because I was aware it was on when I was little, and I remember my grandparents' Grey Cup parties, but I didn't have any apprecaiation of the nuances of the game at all until I met Lawrence. Taking Football 101 and 202 really cemented my knowledge as well, and I am most grateful for that. I'm learning more all the time, and the one bit of knowledge I am most proud of this: Being a Bomber fan is not genetic. Somehow my dad passed the gene on to my brother, but it bypassed me. :twisted: I appreciate all of you 'learned' fans putting up with my stupid questions, and helping to improve my ever-growing appreciation of this game and team we love. Thanks!

And for the record, I only have about 6 pairs of shoes. Work shoes, sneakers, running shoes, 2 pairs of heels and my hiking boots. That probably revokes my membership in the "Girl Club", but shoes have never done anything for me. My mother "Imelda" on the other hand...... :roll:
Real women wear orange!!
almo89
Legend

pinkfreud wrote:
OrangeShoes99 wrote:Also full props to Don Taylor who stated:

Not to be overly negative about hockey, but I'm convinced that the only reason hockey is more popular than football is because of the differences in marketing.
Totally agree. I mean if the NFL had a team here in Vancouver, it would sellout everygame. Why? Because there would be so much more money to market the team. It's not even so much about the product on the field. I mean what more can the Lions do to make the product better? They are already the best in the league.
Wally!
Starter

If you guys are ever interested in a good read that explores a lot of the "why" when it comes to Canada's perceived preference of the NFL, read a book called the CFL - The Phoenix of Pro Football Leagues by Steve O'Brien.

As for the WDF ? didn?t they sell 20K-25K tickets in the week prior to the game in ?04? I remember the old bclions.com site had a tickets sold counter that didn?t really start escalating until 4-5 days before. Once an opponent is finalized, tickets should start selling faster. A few ?Dome Field Advantage? billboards around town wouldn?t hurt either.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

The casual CFL fan in Vancouver will NOT buy tickets to this game until 3 -4 days out, or on gameday. The game to them will be a last minute decision based on their schedules and lives. This is not Regina people.

The hardcores have their tickets, or are about to get them. The "usual" crowd of people will be there...approx. 35k...another 7k will get their tickets over the next week, after this weekend, and gameday will see a walkup of approx 2k. So in my estimation that is 44,000...+- 2k and you have yourself a very good crowd.

MARKETING will get you near the 50k range.
bc49
Hall of Famer

Dome Field Advantage!!
It kills me the club uses this slogan yet does nothing to detour the wave during offensive series.
David
Team Captain

Lion Guy wrote:The casual CFL fan in Vancouver will NOT buy tickets to this game until 3 -4 days out, or on gameday. The game to them will be a last minute decision based on their schedules and lives. This is not Regina people.

The hardcores have their tickets, or are about to get them. The "usual" crowd of people will be there...approx. 35k...another 7k will get their tickets over the next week, after this weekend, and gameday will see a walkup of approx 2k. So in my estimation that is 44,000...+- 2k and you have yourself a very good crowd.

MARKETING will get you near the 50k range.
I agree 100% Lion Guy. Other than season ticket holders, the bulk of tickets for this game will be moved next week, after the West Semi-Final has been decided. But to be sure, there will be thousands of fence-sitters licking their finger and sticking it in the air deciding which way the wind is blowing. They're willing to part with their dough to watch a football game but they need to feel a palpable buzz like there was in '04.

I'm holding out hope that the Lions front office will really step up their efforts (and media spend) in the week leading up to the West Final.

DH 8)
Last edited by David on Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roar, You Lions, Roar
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

I'll say it again, the game has to be marketed as an event not to miss.

I can't believe any of the 50,000 plus that were there in 2004 aren't buying tickets for this game. Anyone who was there that day felt the electricity in that building , and why would you not want to be part of it again, even if you were only there because of the NHL Lockout?

Some how some way the team has to get the word out that this will be the sporting event of the year in BC....