Official 2006-07 Vancouver Canucks Season Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Is anyone surprised that Roberto Luongo had a hiccup in the home opener given the almost non-stop media gushing since his first game as a Canuck? Yes, he looked wonderful against Minnesota and the main reason it even went to overtime. But c'mon. He was beaten like a rented mule in OT apart from one dynamic save. This was conveniently glossed over.

Suddenly it was though he was coming home for his coronation. To hear Tommy Larsheid's over-the-top fawning before the radio broadcast last night, you'd think streets should be named in his honour, his goalie pads would be sent to the Hall Of Fame in Toronto, and his name already enshrined on the Vezina trophy. Give me a break.

No wonder the poor guy crushed under weight of expectations in his first home game. So vexed by his first period performance, he even switched his goalie pads in the intermission. It's time everyone just took a deep breath with this guy and let him play his game.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
smphantom
Legend

Vancouver is a Goalie Graveyard.............
Stay thirsty my friends.
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Is anyone surprised that Roberto Luongo had a hiccup in the home opener given the almost non-stop media gushing since his first game as a Canuck? Yes, he looked wonderful against Minnesota and the main reason it even went to overtime. But c'mon. He was beaten like a rented mule in OT apart from one dynamic save. This was conveniently glossed over.

Suddenly it was though he was coming home for his coronation. To hear Tommy Larsheid's over-the-top fawning before the radio broadcast last night, you'd think streets should be named in his honour, his goalie pads would be sent to the Hall Of Fame in Toronto, and his name already enshrined on the Vezina trophy. Give me a break.

No wonder the poor guy crushed under weight of expectations in his first home game. So vexed by his first period performance, he even switched his goalie pads in the intermission. It's time everyone just took a deep breath with this guy and let him play his game.

DH 8)
Couldn't agree more David...Larcshied's fawning over the guy was nauseating. I don't read a thing into last night's game. Home opener, players too hyped up, trying to impress the crowd. For whatever reason Luongo couldn't play the saviour last night.

I'll say this...if that had been Dan Cloutier in net last night he would have been crucified. :roll:
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
Dan Russell
Legend

Vancouver is a Goalie Graveyard.............
Definately can't argue that but Luongo didn't have much help out their friday. However he will prevail as an elite goalie IMO in his stay at Vancouver.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Two words missing ...

Bryan Allen.

They gave up far too much for Luongo. And now the team is going to rely on him FAR too much.

They have some good young prospects on the team, I just hope they (the team and the fans) are willing to let them develop properly.

No more CAM NEELY's please ...
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I dont see it happening, but I would be tickled pink if AA became the next best goalie in the NHL :thup: :yes:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
randymeeks
Legend

Two words missing ...

Bryan Allen.

They gave up far too much for Luongo. And now the team is going to rely on him FAR too much.

Time will tell but I don't think they gave up too much for Luongo. Bryan Allen was a steady defenceman but I would hardly consider him part of the core. Kraijcek (sp?) has looked pretty good so far and I believe he will be more than an adequate replacement although he is a very different kind of player for Allen.

This is the reality of the salary cap. Just about every single team in the league is close to missing the playoffs. A key season ending injury to one or two players (Luongo and Naslund in our case) and any chance of making the playoffs is over for virtually any team in the league.

I'm looking forward to seeing Luongo and the rest of the team play here in Edmonton on Tuesday. :wink:
"I have social skills, jackass!"
-Malcolm (Malcolm In The Middle)
LFITQ
Team Captain

randymeeks wrote:This is the reality of the salary cap. Just about every single team in the league is close to missing the playoffs. A key season ending injury to one or two players (Luongo and Naslund in our case) and any chance of making the playoffs is over for virtually any team in the league.
I guess this is one thing that kind of disturbs me in the "New Salary Cap" league.

We have a slaray cap to try and make more parity in the league. We also have had recruiting going on world wide for a few years now, so not every team is focussing just on Canada like in years past. Other countries have supposedly increased their "production" of top calibre players.

But it really seems difficult for NHL clubs to have more than 1 or 2 "top" lines.

It seems like there is a real drought of talented players ready to make the "big leagues". Now I know there are other leagues out there offering up some larger dollars which could account for some player loss, but the numbers just don't seem to add up to what I am seeing on the ice. It seems to me that the NHL just isn't the top league anymore and they are having a hard time getting quality players.

I dunno, maybe it's just me.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Dan Russell
Legend

Great 2-1 win for the Canucks last night. Good effort all around and the only downside was some people didn't see the game due to pay per view problems.
Dan Russell
Legend

The Canucks lose 2-1 in Edmonton. Complete opposite effort of 2 nights ago. Niether team looked like they wanted to win.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Dan Russell wrote:The Canucks lose 2-1 in Edmonton. Complete opposite effort of 2 nights ago. Niether team looked like they wanted to win.
You mean just one night ago as the same two teams played on both Monday and Tuesday night.
Dan Russell
Legend

You mean just one night ago as the same two teams played on both Monday and Tuesday night.
I posted that on WEDNESDAY morning.
Dan Russell
Legend

Canucks win last night 4-3 in OT over the Nasville Predators with another hard played game. Luongo held the Canucks when they were short handed with some big saves as well as in OT. Vokoun looked shaky for the Predators in goal.
MacNews
Team Captain

The problem with the Canucks is they've over-paid some players (Kesler, Morrison, Cooke, Chouinard, Linden)

So now with no cap-room you cannot get that injury-replacement like we did last year. Better get injury-bug vaccinations. :cr:
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Linden is "overpaid"? He's getting $600,000... that's the minimum wage in the NHL.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.