What made you become a B.C. Lions fan?

From time to time there are some threads worthy of keeping .... they go in here .. as do past Felion Prowl Photo Shoots :)

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Jim Robson and Ron Robinson broadcasting "road" games of the Vancouver Mounties from CKWX. WHL Vancouver Canucks featuring Billy McNeil, Bob McCusker, George Gardner etc
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

I came relatively late to this party, having grown up in Ontario as a diehard long-suffering Argo fan in the 60s and 70s. Yes, I rejoiced when they finally won it all in 83, and even when whatsisname dropped that late hail mary pass from Dewalt. But I saw kindred spirit in the Lions (some people called them the Argos of the west) and had a soft spot for the team. I cheered for the Esks for many years, though that got harder when I actually lived in Alberta and saw how arrogant and smarmy their fans and media could be. I moved here in 1990 and started going to Lions games, but it was probably the 1994 cup that made me into a Lions fan.

I cheered for the Leafs until Harold Ballard killed them, and have since then been a Habs fan. I've tried, but I've never managed to care much for the Canucks (and care very little for NHL altogether now).
Rammer
Team Captain

Jim Young trade caught my attention, living afar from the epicenter of Lions football made it a difficult follow in those days. The odd game on TV forced me to watch late night sports updates for a glimpse of a play or two throughout my childhood. The local paper a day or two behind would also give me some extra reading of the Lions. Along the way, the Lions actually got crazy exciting and the Cardiac Kids era just made the ultimate goal of a Grey Cup, so longed for, a real possibility. Those teasing years and finally the emergence of Dewalt and Fernandez felt great to this longtime fan. Having Passaglia on the field only made you wonder what he was going to do next, exciting times that won't be forgotten by me.

I am hooked, the Lions are my team, that is all.
Entertainment value = an all time low
orangepridemama54
prospect

My Dad was a season ticket holder since 1954............so I grew up in his football crazy household and under his tuteledge I have been a fan ever since I can remember. Willie Fleming and Swervyn Mervyn Fernandex were household names. Dad took me to several games at Empire Stadium as a teenager daughter, when his friends were taking their sons.
After he and my Mom died, I took over their season tickets and introduced my husband to the game. He loves the game as much as I do........we are forever Lion fans!
Lions Fan in SK
prospect

Squishy 35, my story is almost the same as yours. We moved to small town Saskatchewan when I was 8. Two TV channels. I remember the whole family watching football and me being bored to tears (being a girl). When I was 14 or 15, my older brother took me to a Lions/Riders game in Regina. He took the time to explain the plays, calls, penalties etc. I loved it instantly. To this day he says he created a monster.

Being from BC, the Lions have always been my team (as hard as that is in Saskatchewan). I began watching around the same time as you. Remember not liking Vic Rapp, or Don Matthews. Loved Fernandez, Passaglia, JH White, Pankratz, "the orange crush" etc. Picked my lottery ticket numbers from those teams of the mid/late '80s. Hebeler was one of my favorites and couldn't use his number(s) 58 or 99 for Lotto 6/49. Dewalt I still feel is one of the most underrated quarterbacks to play. Not the most consistent, but had quite a few good years with the team.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Enjoying this thread immensely, David.

Great idea. :thup:
BCfanInDIXIE
Starter

A friend of mine who played quarterback for my college was drafted in 2007. His name was Omar Haugabook. Unfortunantly he didn't make it, but my loyalty had been secured. I picked a team and stuck with it.

Go Leos. :beauty:
Founder of the Bama BC Fan Club :towel:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

BCfanInDIXIE wrote:A friend of mine who played quarterback for my college was drafted in 2007. His name was Omar Haugabook. Unfortunantly he didn't make it, but my loyalty had been secured. I picked a team and stuck with it.

Go Leos. :beauty:
I remember him from TC. Very athletic. in no contact passing drills, with a pass rush, he kept pulling the ball down and running up the middle. A friend commented: "Wow. Look at him go." I had to say, but there is no contact, no tackling.

In retrospect I expect the Lions thought he needed to hang in there amongst the flying bodies and read the field. I was disappointed he was cut. He was about as athletic as any QB I have seen. Right out of the Chuck Ealey/Tracy Ham mold.
David
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Enjoying this thread immensely, David.
Me too. There are some really great reads so far on this topic. :thup:

I guess it's to be expected in a 60 year history, but everyone seems to have developed an attachment in various years/eras and for different reasons.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Jim Robson and Ron Robinson broadcasting "road" games of the Vancouver Mounties from CKWX. WHL Vancouver Canucks featuring Billy McNeil, Bob McCusker, George Gardner etc
I know all those people - I mean recall them all as well as Bill Goode, Sr and the news writers as far back as Dick Beddoes. Al Pollard was a FB for the Lions and at the top station then, CKLG as Sports Directors.

The Lions players were in the community as were the coaches. Rapp spoke at my mom and dad's church dinner. They loved the guy.

The Mounties games on the road were done by Jim Robson (met him, classy, classy guy) from a studio in Vancouver using a ticker tape to tell him what the pitches were etc and then they dubbed in sound. It was not that long ago World Cup Soccer in Canada done by Steve Armitrage at CBC was off a monitor. Amazing how they could pull it off vs being in the stadiums.

In those days the Lions were #1 and football and Lions were in all the media including radio.

What has changed possibly is the online media where fans today are much more FANatical about THEIR team. This is the world over where there is no respect for opponents or their fans. Also the fans today seem to say I love hockey, I hate football. I love the NFL, but hate... and then look for all the things that help them with their bias.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
squishy35
Legend

Lions Fan in SK wrote:Squishy 35, my story is almost the same as yours. We moved to small town Saskatchewan when I was 8. Two TV channels. I remember the whole family watching football and me being bored to tears (being a girl). When I was 14 or 15, my older brother took me to a Lions/Riders game in Regina. He took the time to explain the plays, calls, penalties etc. I loved it instantly. To this day he says he created a monster.

Being from BC, the Lions have always been my team (as hard as that is in Saskatchewan). I began watching around the same time as you. Remember not liking Vic Rapp, or Don Matthews. Loved Fernandez, Passaglia, JH White, Pankratz, "the orange crush" etc. Picked my lottery ticket numbers from those teams of the mid/late '80s. Hebeler was one of my favorites and couldn't use his number(s) 58 or 99 for Lotto 6/49. Dewalt I still feel is one of the most underrated quarterbacks to play. Not the most consistent, but had quite a few good years with the team.
Wow. Quite the parallell. The two years I spent in Viscount, Sask were instrumental in my following of the Lions. It is really quite something reading these stories. :beer:
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

rammer held a gun to my head :wink:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I too am a big fan of Vic Rapp. He was emotional, dead honest. Harry Holt used to drive Rapp absolutely nuts. So much potential but sometime lacked the interest.
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:I too am a big fan of Vic Rapp. He was emotional, dead honest. Harry Holt used to drive Rapp absolutely nuts. So much potential but sometime lacked the interest.
Holt was an incredible athlete, a real game changer when he was given the ball to do so.

You can't always have the players follow direction to the tee, it is the improvisation that separates the best from the rest.

Although following direction can lead to some laughs.
Entertainment value = an all time low
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:I too am a big fan of Vic Rapp. He was emotional, dead honest. Harry Holt used to drive Rapp absolutely nuts. So much potential but sometime lacked the interest.
Holt was an incredible athlete, a real game changer when he was given the ball to do so.

You can't always have the players follow direction to the tee, it is the improvisation that separates the best from the rest.

Although following direction can lead to some laughs.
which one is bertuzzi?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back