Tony Proudfoot, CFL Alumni, relying on his team to fight

From time to time there are some threads worthy of keeping .... they go in here .. as do past Felion Prowl Photo Shoots :)

Moderator: Team Captains

D
Team Captain

Tony Proudfoot, CFL Alumni, relying on his team to fight the battle.
ALS has forced Tony from the field to the sidelines, but he refuses to go quietly.

Montreal (November 20, 2009) Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)—also known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease—is devastating. For Tony Proudfoot, former Alouettes and BC Lions player, he knows the impact all too well. “In 2007, I was diagnosed with ALS and from that moment on my life changed forever,” says Tony. “I never thought that I would be forced to stand on the sidelines so early in my life.” But Tony refuses to stand quietly. As with his football career, he is fighting to win this one but he needs to recruit a committed team.

“Team Proudfoot Inspired Mosaic.”

“With this team I am asking for people to help raise awareness surrounding ALS,” says Tony. “With the Inspired Mosaic all those touched by ALS, no matter how they communicate, what their mobility or strength is, can take part.”
Awareness breeds knowledge, knowledge fosters change. The desired outcome: enhanced research, improved clinical care, upgraded services. Be part of this team, we have a significant challenge in front of us!

Since Tony became public with his diagnosis, he has inspired thousands of people coast to coast through his words, his actions, and his positive outlook on life. It has now been two years since he was diagnosed with ALS. “I am continuing to slide downhill, communicating only with the aid of my computer, eating with a feeding tube (I have lost 50 lbs, and counting) and struggling to breathe even on the smallest of exertions,” he says. “Luckily I can still move about and I keep on doing the activities that I love with the people I care about. I enjoy my association with the Alouettes, working as an adviser and I writing about football on CJAD’s website.”

As the hype for the Grey Cup nears, Tony welcomes the opportunity to “talk” football, “talk” about living with ALS and/or “talk” about “Team Proudfoot Inspired Mosaic.”

For information, contact:

Tony Proudfoot: tonyproud24@hotmail.com (text message: 514-919-2093)
Claudine Cook, Executive Director, ALS Society of QC: ccook@sla-quebec.ca , mobile 514-298-0540
Dr. Angela Genge: Director of the ALS Clinic, Montreal Neurological Institute Hospital 514-398-3868

What is ALS?
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis is a rapidly progressing, neuromuscular illness that is always fatal. Known in France as Charcot’s Disease – after the neurologist who first described it 130 years ago – and in America as Lou Gehrig’s Disease – after the famous baseball player who died of it in the 1940s, it is characterized by the progressive degeneration of the neurons controlling the motor muscles, gradually leading to total paralysis of the body while leaving the intellectual faculties untouched. ALS can strike anyone, regardless of age, sex or ethnic origin. Although ALS generally develops between the ages of 50 and 75, it can occur in people as young as 20. ALS usually leads to death within three to five years of the diagnosis, although for some unknown reason, 10 to 15% of patients survive about 10 years after they have been diagnosed.
How to be part of “Team Proudfoot Inspired Mosaic”
To be part of “Team Proudfoot Inspired Mosaic" only takes a few minutes. Simply upload a photo and send a message to Tony, someone touched by ALS, a loved one or to someone who has inspired you. The photo then becomes a permanent part of the tapestry of the "Inspired Mosaic" and a lasting tribute to caring individuals who are or have been touched by ALS.

To upload a picture and message:

1.go to: http://www.sla-quebec.ca/mosaic/?lang=en (english) or
http://www.sla-quebec.ca/mosaic/?lang=fr (french)

2. Follow the easy steps … then watch Team Proudfoot and our Inspired Mosaic build!

3. You can view the Inspired Mosaic by visiting http://www.sla-quebec.ca (click on the icon)
4. With a donation of $50 or more, donors will receive a print of the Inspired Mosaic autographed by Tony Proudfoot
tp_helmet.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I own The Grey Cup! .com