Happy 10th Anniversary!

From time to time there are some threads worthy of keeping .... they go in here .. as do past Felion Prowl Photo Shoots :)

Moderator: Team Captains

D
Team Captain

It was about 10 years ago that Lionbackers.com was launched

When I first got on the net I thought it was cool what these pages could do so I tried to figure out ..... How'd they do that! ..... after I figured things out ... I wanted to try and build something. I decided to build this site in December of 1999 ... I was going to build a Canucks site because I actually like hockey more than football, because I play hockey and did so as a kid, football as a kid for me was playground stuff and touch football as an adult. but there were already a lot of great Canuck sites like Brians http://www.CanucksCorner.com out there ... so when I realized there wasn't a BC Lions fan site on the net ... I went for it and launched the site

Originally it was just me posting signings and game recaps ... now the site is mostly run via a database but back in the day I remember thinking database .... what the heck do I need a database for .... I don't want anyones name or phone number. I think it was during the 2001 season that a database forum was introduced. The first player to post on the site was Robert Drummond.

Anyhow this has turned into an incredible hobby that has allowed me to meet so many great people and shared a TON of good times and great memories with them. With many more to come :beauty:

Thanks to all the mods for making things easier for me to run and to ALL of YOU for visiting and contributing!

Happy 10th :beer: :roar:
:wave:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Bosco
Team Captain

Kudos Derek for setting up the site to talk Lions football, and happy 10th Anniversary to all Lionbackers. :beer:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Well done, Derek. :beer:

You've built a great site.

Lots of good discussions. Not much about the Lions or the CFL slips past this site without being discussed in detail.

Not that Wally or the coaches are going to do what we say or want, for the most part, but it is fun for us armchair coaches and GMs, as well as just plain fans. And some of the players get involved posting too, beyond the many that read.

There are a few silly threads, and a few silly posters, but that is the nature of the internet. Mostly free speech. And freedom to ignore any threads not personally interesting. By far, for the most part, it's good reading and good issues on here. :beauty:
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

A Canucks site?? Oh the shame of it. :lol:

Happy birthday Lionbackers.com!
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

Happy 10th!!! im glad to say ive been here for 7 years :)
2012 Season Ticket Holder
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Happy 10Th.

I visit pretty much everyday, obviously more often during the Lions season. What amazes me is how often I'll listen to a Sportscaster (like Squire for example) talk about some Lions 'NEWS' that I read about FIRST here on Lionbackers, often days before :shock: . Credit to all the eagle-eyed Lionbackers! Here's to the second
decade :beer:
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Happiest 10th anniversary Derek

Thanks for venue to express our props and whacks, happiness, sorrow, outrage and fun.

It takes heaps of dedication, and attention to detail, but you do a bang up job of it year in and year out, and your site is second to none.

Thank you D :beauty:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

I owe it to this site for helping me to become an even bigger Lions fan than I was before I joined. Here's to 10 more!! :rockin: :yes: :thup:
MacNews
Team Captain

Happy 10th birthday Lionbackers!!!!!! I have only been on the site for a couple years but it has been great fun. :beer:
Rammer
Team Captain

Wow 10 years, who would have thought that would be possible from the humble beginnings. Congratulations Derek, we really appreciate the efforts you have endured over the years on keeping this site up and running, along with looking great.
Entertainment value = an all time low
bcbill1
Rookie

Happy 10th. Derek. Many,many thanks . As I have said before, your site allowed me to " keep the feel "I have for the Lions alive, when I was living in areas where the Lions were never talked about.
Thank you & keep on,keepin' on. :beer: :rockin: :cheer:
Lui05
Rookie

Congrats! And Cheers! :beer:

I've been lurking since 2005 and have found this to be a great place to learn things Lions and CFL. I finally joined very recently as there was something I wanted to say.

Thanks D for setting this up. It's a very informative and impressive site. Onto decade #2....
I went to a restaurant that serves "breakfast at any time". So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance.

Steven Wright
Reider
Starter

Congrats on the milestone Derek. I've enjoyed the BC scoops and news on here over the last few years. :beauty:
D
Team Captain

Thanks Reid .. and everyone else ... cheers
I own The Grey Cup! .com