Should new members require a post count threshold...

Need some help with the site? or Forum?
Ask Here! Got an idea or suggestion for Lionbackers.com, Tell us about it!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

... before they can put (potentially spammy) hyperlinks in their posts? I've seen this policy on other chat boards whereby you need five or ten posts before you can do this; perhaps the same could be considered here to reduce further (what is already only occasional) outbreaks of poor signal-to-noise content?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rammer
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:... before they can put (potentially spammy) hyperlinks in their posts? I've seen this policy on other chat boards whereby you need five or ten posts before you can do this; perhaps the same could be considered here to reduce further (what is already only occasional) outbreaks of poor signal-to-noise content?
You do that to the detriment of solid new posters. Plus, spammers generally start a new thread which makes it rather easy to locate without even having to.
Entertainment value = an all time low
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Should we flag/report a post a member thinks is spam? There have been a few that are obviously spam...
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Should we flag/report a post a member thinks is spam? There have been a few that are obviously spam...
Mods might like the help, but I think they do a good job of catching them fairly quick as is.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Rammer
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:Should we flag/report a post a member thinks is spam? There have been a few that are obviously spam...
Yes, that helps us. Those memberships are banned immediately.
D
Team Captain

a post count threshold basically means that a new member posting would need his post manually approved, I think that is a deterant to a new members participation and more work for the mods and I.

the spammers seam to come in waves but I think I have found a way to deter the vast majority of them. Now new members must answer a skill testing question ... what is the question you ask?
What trophy do CFL teams play for?
That should not only eliminate spammers but the few non knowledgeable fans as well :wink:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Not to veer off topic what I don't understand is what are the purposes of these bizarre threads that ramble on incoherently about some ethical drug or clothing company like Abercrombie and Fitch? Why do they post it? It is not these companies.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Mods might like the help, but I think they do a good job of catching them fairly quick as is.
Oh yes, I'm not complaining.....
D wrote:... Now new members must answer a skill testing question ... what is the question you ask?
That should not only eliminate spammers but the few non knowledgeable fans as well :wink:
AWESOME :wink:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

D wrote:a post count threshold basically means that a new member posting would need his post manually approved, I think that is a deterant to a new members participation and more work for the mods and I.

the spammers seam to come in waves but I think I have found a way to deter the vast majority of them. Now new members must answer a skill testing question ... what is the question you ask?
You just put that in today since I started this thread, you mean? If so, think it fits the bill :thup:
They'd even have to be careful not to use the US spelling.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
D wrote:a post count threshold basically means that a new member posting would need his post manually approved, I think that is a deterant to a new members participation and more work for the mods and I.

You just put that in today since I started this thread, you mean? If so, think it fits the bill :thup:
I think I can answer my own question here as I just spotted another spam post since I wrote the above — from somebody who joined nearly a week ago. Some transient such stuff might sneak through occasionally for a little while more but should grow even dimmer with time.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Just spotted 2 more spam
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Just spotted 2 more spam
Did you flag them?
David
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:Did you flag them?
No, he just told them they've been released. :wink:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Rammer wrote:Did you flag them?
No, he just told them they've been released. :wink:

DH :cool:

Actually I referred them to Riders.com :wink:
D
Team Captain

If you see spam by all means flag it and a mod will have a look and take appropriate action
sj-roc wrote: You just put that in today since I started this thread, you mean? If so, think it fits the bill :thup:
I did it a few days ago .... this whole thing is like a cat and mouse game ... I do something they eventually figure it out so I change it up and they figure that out so I do something else and round and round we go :sigh:

some of these spambots sign up and post crap right away .... others sign up and sit dormant for a time before they post crap .... i'm hoping that over time we can get this to a minimum
I own The Grey Cup! .com