2010 = No School?

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Should Lower Mainland school be closed during the 2010 Olympics?

Yes!
23%
No.
77%

Total votes: 22
CB123
Legend

Im not sure where to put this, so I posted it here.

I was in the car earlier and they were talking about how other Olympic host cities (including Torino) have closed schools during the Olympics too cut down on traffic congestion, and that VANCO will be looking into it.

I think this would be a great idea 1) because it would cut down on traffic big time! Remember during the strike? And 2) it is a once in a life time experience to host the Olympics, and it would be great for kids to get out and see the events and feel the Olympic atmosphere.

The only thing is that it will be hard for parents with kids in elementary school. Also they may have to extend the school year to make up for the lost time, or the option that I am in favor in, which is just moving spring break a few weeks earlier.

I am 100% in favor of closing the schools (im guessing lower mainland, and Whistler area) for 2010, too bad I will have graduated by then. What do all of you think?
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

I can foresee some parents getting upset by this. Having the standard 1.5 week Christmas break, plus 2 more weeks less than 8 weeks later.

Maybe half of the Olympics, presumably the 2nd half (medal round in hockey). However, I'm hearing that it would be a province wide shutdown, as people in the Interior would be whining about why Lower Mainland schools are closed and they're not.

The traffic issue is a wash. Whether they're going to and from school, or just out and about soaking up the Olympic atmosphere, they'll still be out and about causing more delays for those who actually have to work and make money.

VANOC has no power over what the BCTF/Ministry of Education do. They can make recommendations with no legal ramifications.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

How many "kids" can afford tickets ?
MacNews
Team Captain

I think it'd be easier to sell the time off school if students got to learn about the Olympics and sports, or something like that.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

One word: NO
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

One word: YES!

It is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and moving Spring Break up a couple of weeks, and missing a week or two of Summer, is fine as long as people are out of school for the two weeks! :rockin:
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
LFITQ
Team Captain

It's simple ...

You don't close the schools during those days. It serves no prupose than to create day care problems over and above the already large shortage of spaces to begin with.

In addition, those parents that want to take their kids out of school to take in the Olympics can still do so.

All you do is have the teachers modify the curriculum during those two weeks so that stuents who are out (and let's face it not many of them will actually miss the entire 2 weeks) won't miss that much. BAsically have light days and centre things on the Olympics, competition, training to be the best (in whatever you do), work ethic etc ...

And let's face it - many of the events will take place after school hours anyhow.

We are already seeing too many instructional days dropping by the wayside, we can't really afford to lose too many more. While many nations are increasing instructional days for students in grade school, Canada has actually been going in the opposite direction and decreasing instructional days and this has been hurting us in the world stage. Look around the Universities in BC alone - how many students there are coming in from abroad versus our own BC residents??
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:One word: YES!

It is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and moving Spring Break up a couple of weeks, and missing a week or two of Summer, is fine as long as people are out of school for the two weeks! :rockin:
Kids are in a small demographic of people interested in the Olympics. They also won't be able to afford to go to most if any events.

Like many of us, they'll watch video tape replay.

Not going to happen.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Blue In BC wrote:

Kids are in a small demographic of people interested in the Olympics. They also won't be able to afford to go to most if any events.

Not going to happen.
We'll see BIBC, we'll see. Did you read my post in the "Do the Italians care?" topic? I have over 1000 dollars saved up for Memorial Cup and 2010, and I'm only 11. My sister has 700, shes 8. My friends have more than 1000 (5 of them do) and we'll have bus passes, etc. in Grade 10 so if School is out, I wouldn't be surprised if almost every event would be sold out.

Soundy
Hall of Famer

The whole basis of this idea is, ostensibly, to "ease traffic congestion".

How much traffic congestion are the Olympics going to cause me out here in Pitt Meadows? My kid should miss school for this???

Absurd.

Come to think of it... he should be out of school by then, so it's kinda moot, but you get the idea... how many areas are REALLY going to see that big an effect on traffic?
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Soundy wrote:The whole basis of this idea is, ostensibly, to "ease traffic congestion".

How much traffic congestion are the Olympics going to cause me out here in Pitt Meadows? My kid should miss school for this???

Absurd.

Come to think of it... he should be out of school by then, so it's kinda moot, but you get the idea... how many areas are REALLY going to see that big an effect on traffic?
Vancouver, Richmond, Burnaby, West Vancouver, Squamish, Whistler, Surrey, North Vancouver....North Van because it is pretty much a little under 10 minutes from Pacific Coliseum, meaning that it will get congested with people from West Van-Squamish trying to go to Pacific Coliseum without having to drive by all the big stuff downtown.

Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:

Not going to happen.
We'll see BIBC, we'll see. Did you read my post in the "Do the Italians care?" topic? I have over 1000 dollars saved up for Memorial Cup and 2010, and I'm only 11. My sister has 700, shes 8. My friends have more than 1000 (5 of them do) and we'll have bus passes, etc. in Grade 10 so if School is out, I wouldn't be surprised if almost every event would be sold out.
Do you know that tickets for the opening ceremonies in turin cost $650 USA? There goes your $1000 cad.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:
Soundy wrote:The whole basis of this idea is, ostensibly, to "ease traffic congestion".

Absurd.

Vancouver, Richmond, Burnaby, West Vancouver, Squamish, Whistler, Surrey, North Vancouver....North Van because it is pretty much a little under 10 minutes from Pacific Coliseum, meaning that it will get congested with people from West Van-Squamish trying to go to Pacific Coliseum without having to drive by all the big stuff downtown.
On that basis, maybe they should close schools during hockey or football nights in Vancouver.

How many of these events are going to draw 16K - 40K fans to the live events?
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Blue In BC wrote:
Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:

Absurd.

On that basis, maybe they should close schools during hockey or football nights in Vancouver.

How many of these events are going to draw 16K - 40K fans to the live events?
Opening and Closing Ceremonies, All Hockey Finals, you'll be surprised.

Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Blue In BC wrote:
Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:

Not going to happen.
Do you know that tickets for the opening ceremonies in turin cost $650 USA? There goes your $1000 cad.
You assume that I want to go to the Opening Ceremonies, when you don't know what events I want to go to. BTW, 1000 so far! I have 4 years to go!