Terry Sawchuk Movie "Goalie"

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

BC 1988
Legend

This Canadian-made movie was on CBC last night (oddly in every market except Vancouver). It is available on CBC's live streaming site Gem.
https://gem.cbc.ca/media/media/films/go ... 1125cba5bd
It is excellent, not just for hockey fans old enough to remember Sawchuk's career. (I only remember seeing him in a NYR uniform and on the O-Pee-Chee memorial hockey card issued after his 1970 death).

Wikipedia says they couldn't use actual NHL logos "for legal reasons". This is a bit distracting, but only for a few minutes-the story is so engrossing you see past that. Some of the substitute logos are inventive--the Habs "C" is angled to look like a horseshoe; the Leafs are closest to reality --3 maple leafs on a branch; New York uses the old "Americans" shield. The Detriot "winged wheel" replacement is as close as they could make it, at least in shape.

Another thing I'd never heard of before (and looked up afterwards) was the Bruins Newfoundland exhibition tour of April 1956 (when Sawchuk was briefly with Boston).

The film draws on two '90s biographies, and had the support of his family. (His son, Jerry, gave the actor who portrays him some tips about his father's stance in net).

Despite this, it is a brutally honest depiction--really gives you a sense of how much of a battle the game was back then. (I guess one of the reasons I liked it so much was how it was about the NHL my Dad always talked about).