2017 BC Provincial Election Thread

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Which party will you vote for in the 2017 British Columbia general election on May 9, 2017?

Poll ended at Tue May 09, 2017 3:17 pm

Liberal (Christy Clark)
50%
New Democratic (John Horgan)
50%
Green (Andrew Weaver)
No votes

Total votes: 8
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I think your dead on about the 'got your backs' reasoning

It may bite her in the long run.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

So the NDP led by premier John Horgan is back in power after a 16-year hiatus, with help of their allies the Green Party. Their previous reign from 1991-2001 was just under 10 years and notwithstanding the two short-term NDP premiers Dan Miller and Ujjal Dosanjh, the elected premiers Mike Harcourt and Glen Clark eventually resigned over scandals and ended up with just two seats in 2001. Let's see how well the NDP would do this time round.

After Alberta, BC is only the second NDP provincial government. And the NDP winning the Alberta general election in 2015 was an amazing dethroning of the Progressive Conservative's 44-year dynasty.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

LIkely to be followed up by another de-throning in Alberta next election. It was a one off for the NDP there and I have my doubts that we are going to get a 4 year run out of the current arrangement here either. There will be a by-election or two at some point. If the NDP/Green alliance sees a provincial downturn (regardless if it is their fault), then their opponents will jump on that like a ton of bricks. The margins are so tight that the slightest slip will lead to downfall.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Former Liberal leader Gordon Wilson is back in the spotlight after being fired by the B.C. NDP a lucrative job in the liquefied natural gas industry.

Who remembers in 1991, Gordon Wilson and the Liberals became the official opposition, but then resigned after an affair with Judi Tyabji and then crossed to the NDP as cabinet minister.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I remember well one of the few knockout lines in an election debate that vaulted a relative longshot into prominence.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1769059820
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Robbie wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:29 pm
Former Liberal leader Gordon Wilson is back in the spotlight after being fired by the B.C. NDP a lucrative job in the liquefied natural gas industry.

Who remembers in 1991, Gordon Wilson and the Liberals became the official opposition, but then resigned after an affair with Judi Tyabji and then crossed to the NDP as cabinet minister.
He wouldn't be much of a plumber either. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I knew someone who was on his team when he shot to prominence. He couldn't say enough good things about him at that time. Later on, this same person basically called him a "two faced, lying sack of you know what". Don't really know how he got there but I took it as someone who was in a position to know.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The new NDP has made an immediate impact by raising taxes for high earners and corporations to help pay for $51.9B balanced budget. People earning more than $150,000 a year will now face a personal income tax rate of 16.8 per cent up from 14.7 per cent.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:13 pm
Things like "Road Taxes", "ICBC Premiums", and the like that are billed for specific things and them disappear in the maw of general revenue to get used on who knows what.
Thanks to ICBC, for those of who have hyphenated names, you must now change your name to a non-hyphenated one as your hyphenated name is no longer valid in BC.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... 95?cmp=rss
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Another immediate impact by the NDP government:

The B.C. government will build a new replacement for the Pattullo Bridge, with construction scheduled to begin in the summer of 2019 and completion slated for 2023.
祝你龍年行大運。
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I don't think that anybody can argue that it is desperately needed. However it would have cost less 15 years ago when it was "desperately needed".
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I am sure you will be very interested in the BC budget release tomorrow, the first by the NDP in several years. ICBC rates will likely increase. :bang: :roll: :-?
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:08 pm
I am sure you will be very interested in the BC budget release tomorrow, the first by the NDP in several years. ICBC rates will likely increase.
In the end, the budget didn't immediately mention ICBC rates but as expected, other increases occurred:

Effective Feb. 21, there will be a hike on the property-transfer tax from three per cent to five per cent on properties worth more than $3 million.

The government will impose an employer health tax to allow for the full elimination of Medical Services Plan (MSP) premiums, which is expected to save individuals up to $900 per year and families up to $1,800 per year.

Effective April 1, 2018, the tobacco tax rates will be increased by 2.8 cents, to 27.5 cents per cigarette, and by 12.8 cents, to 37.5 cents per gram, for all tobacco other than cigars and cigarettes.

High-end luxury cars will be taxed at a higher rate. Sales tax on vehicles over $125,000 will increase to 15 per cent. Sales tax for vehicles with a purchase price of over $150,000 will be increased to 20 per cent.

At least the BC ferry fares on the three major routes won't increase. :cr:
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:23 am
Robbie wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:29 pm

He wouldn't be much of a plumber either. BB
Former B.C. Liberal leader Gordon Wilson says his $5-million libel lawsuit against Premier John Horgan and others will cost taxpayers millions in legal fees, if it goes to trial.

I'd say most who were around in 1991 will have no pity towards him and he deserves to be embarrassed, even though Horgan's comments was not related to his affair.
祝你龍年行大運。