Boston Marathon bombings ... Rolling Stone Cover

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Images and YouTube video ...

One would now expect these guys to be found, or turned in.

It seems to me that the entire developed world will be on tape 24/7 before long. In some ways that is reassuring. However my jaywalking or driving habits might get me into trouble. :wink:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hand or hands in pockets. Weapons in case of confrontation? Were they prepared to detonate if accosted? Do they even mind if they are identified?

It seems evident the attack was well planned. Walked the route. Location nearby. Supported or just two guys?

Still in the country?

Welcome to the 21st Century ...

Causes of terrorism? We all have our own ideas. Oftentimes it seems related to people feeling oppressed. Northern Ireland. Israel. Palestinians. Russia. Former USSR Republics. Dissatisfied American nationals. Quebec decades ago.

One thing about nowadays, though, is that it is very hard to keep anything secret or covert.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The one guy from the video with the bowed out right leg should be a slam dunk to ID.

Not sure why there is so much media bashing - they have a job to do - and with these two photos and the FBI statements about what they have believe they did - it is probably exactly what John King was told by someone who probably was a bit out of line doing the information release as they no doubt wanted to make sure it came out in a way that would help them such as how they have done it now.

There are multi-agencies and perspectives and at times this does get out wrong or premature.

It is looking tonight like the fertilizer plant deaths are very likely to be well upwards of 35.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Spud387
Champion

bingo bango bongo
http://i.imgur.com/I1dF69f.jpg

Suspect, post bombing, minus a backpack
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

According to Global tonight a Boston newspaper is reporting that there was a attempted killing of a university police officer. Apparently there is a police chase with shots fired. They arrested the suspect. Early reports indicate that it may be one of the wanted suspect in the marathon bombing.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

One police officer has been killed and another critically wounded. One suspect has been shot and taken into custody. Police ERT is going door to door in the town of Watertown seeking suspect #2
Robbie
Hall of Famer

One suspect is dead. The other on the run and authorities are going on a manhunt.
Civilians are told to stay home. Let's see if the Bruins and Red Sox home games tonight will be cancelled.

AMERICA'S MOST WANTED
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

How are these guys repressed? Given a new life in America. So they reject life as they know it, but then want to take people with them, as they express their anger. And they express their anger at innocent American people (and many from other parts of the world participating in the Boston Marathon).

I can sympathize with repressed people (not these guys), but even then, I totally reject the idea of terrorism, especially against innocent people. It is one of the sicknesses of our times.

And then they run away. How stupid is that? They should have stayed in the crowd and shouted, "We did it." Show the courage of their convictions instead of the cowardice to run.

Abuses back and forth between Chechens and Russian soldiers when you were children? So take out your anger in the U.S. years later? :dizzy:

Do they hate life so much they would do this to their own families? Why not blow up a family dinner? :dizzy:

Or they did it for a deeper religious purpose? Extremist Muslim anger at whatever? :dizzy: Strike out at the evil United States, as exemplified by these people enjoying the Marathon? :dizzy: Idiots.

Off to Heaven? I don't think so. To a different place.

I would not be surprised if the surviving brother wants to give up. He has not forced a confrontation. He is hiding. :dizzy:

One good thing: These idiots are giving terrorism a bad name. (Irony and sarcasm both intended).

The actions of these two stupid guys do nothing to better the lives of repressed people anywhere.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I will take CNN over Fox news.

However,

Erin Burnett :thdn:

Wolf Blitzer C- for this coverage

Not watching any stations... a lot of blather.

The idiot boy wannabe terrorist will probably be dead by the end of the day. Although I do suspect that this kid is not determined to die. He may have no choice now. He may not be able to surrender.

I am somewhat disgusted with many elements in the present state of the world, and the state of humanity, as we stumble on in our evolution.

I heard their uncle speak, and I respect him and what he says. He says if the boys associate their actions with the Muslim religion that is a fraud by them. He says they bring shame on their family and on Chechen people everywhere. He says the United States gives opportunities to all people.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lots of speculation on CNN and not much real news.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/1 ... ?hpt=hp_t2
Muslim leaders condemn bombing suspects

By Eric Marrapodi, CNN Belief Blog Editor

Washington (CNN) - Muslim leaders in Boston and elsewhere distanced themselves on Friday from the suspects in the Boston Marathon bombing, condemning the deadly terror attack and saying they feared reprisals against their communities.

"I don't care who or what these criminals claim to be, but I can never recognize these criminals as part of my city or my faith community," said Yusufi Vali, executive director for the Islamic Society of Boston Cultural Center, the largest mosque in the Boston area.

"All of us Bostonians want these criminals to be brought to justice immediately. I am infuriated at the criminals of these bombings for trying to rip our city apart. We will remain united and not let them change who we are as Bostonians."

Vali said none of his staff were familiar with the suspects, identified by sources as brothers Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, and Dzhokar Tsarnaev, 19. The elder brother died at a Boston hospital overnight after a gunbattle with police. Authorities were still searching for the younger man on Friday.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Few details are known about the brothers' religious practices, apart from remarks by relatives and comments attributed to the elder brother by a photographer, none of which portrayed the brothers as particularly devout.

Messages on a Twitter account attributed to Tamerlan Tsarnaev, and posted in the days after the bombings, were broadly secular. Various interviews with high school and college classmates of Dzhokar Tsarnaev offered no hints of a particular interest in religion. Leaders of Boston's Muslim community contacted on Friday said they didn't know the brothers.

However, other parts of the older brother's online and social media presence indicate that he was deeply religious, especially in recent years. His aunt said within the past two years he had begun to pray five times a day. Some of the links on his YouTube channels are to lectures by radical preachers, but the content of those lectures is more to do with religious practice than jihad or Islamist militancy.

Muslim leaders are worried because of past reprisals against their community after terror attacks attributed to members of their faith.

On Friday, the suspects' mother, Zubeidat Tsarnaeva, told Russian Television that her oldest son "got involved in religion five years ago."

"My youngest was raised from 8 years in America, my oldest he was really properly raised in our house," Tsarnaeva said.

"Nobody talked about terrorism. Tamerlan got involved in religion five years ago. Started following his own religion, never told me he could be on side of jihad. He was followed by FBI for three years, knew what he was doing, where on Internet he was going. How could this happen, they were controlling every step of him, now they are saying this is a terrorist act.

"It's impossible for them to do such things. I am really telling you that this is a setup. My son would never keep it in secret. My son, you tell me, my son wouldn't keep it secret. Who would be knowing? If there is anyone who would know it would be me. He wouldn't hide it. But there was never a word."

The suspects' uncle, Ruslan Tsarni, described his nephews as "losers" who happened to be Muslims.

Tsarni told reporters outside his home in Montgomery Village, Maryland, that his nephews' religion played no role in the attacks.

"Anything else to do with religion, with Islam, it's a fraud, it's a fake," said Tsarni, who described the family as peace-loving, ethnic Chechens.

"Somebody radicalized them, but it's not my brother, who just moved back to Russia, who spent his life bringing bread to their table, fixing cars," he said. "My family had nothing to do with that family. Of course, we're ashamed, yes, we're ashamed they're children of my brother."

Asked what might have motivated his nephews to carry out such an attack, he said: "Being losers; hatred to those who were able to settle themselves. These are the only reasons I can imagine."

Tsarni said his brother's family arrived in the United States in 2003 and was granted asylum. He said he had not seen them since December 2005 and last spoke with them in 2009.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev talked briefly about his faith - and his aspiration to become a U.S. citizen and box for the U.S. Olympic team - with a photographer while training at a Boston gym to compete in a Golden Gloves competition.

Photographer Johannes Hirn posted an online photo essay of Tamerlan Tsarnaev titled "Will Box for Passport."

One of the captions for the photos reads "Tsarnaev, a Muslim, doesn't drink or smoke. 'God said no alcohol,' he says."

By Friday afternoon, a a link to the photos said the gallery was "private and cannot be viewed."

In Washington, Muslim leaders again condemned the attacks, sent condolences to the victims and said they were concerned with reprisal attacks against Muslims in the United States.

"Those responsible for the terrorist attacks in Boston must face justice," Nihad Awad, executive director of the Council on American Islamic Relations, referred to as CAIR, told reporters at a hastily called news conference.

"The question will always come up if they are associated with our community," Awad said.

"Our community and our faith detest and deplore these actions and these individuals. We do not know the motives of these individuals but our position has been consistent. Any act of violence against innocent people is deplorable and is condemned in our faith.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

"As God tells us in the Quran, if you murder one person it is as if you murdered all humanity. And if you saved one person, one innocent life, it is like you saved all of humanity," Awad said.

Imam Magid of the Islamic Society of North America said his group has set up a fund to help the bombing victims.

"These are acts of crime, not acts of religion," Benjamin Abdul-Haqq, an imam at Masjid Muhammad mosque in Washington, told the news conference.

Corey Saylor, legislative director for CAIR, said the group feared reprisals.

"We're very concerned, because in past instances some individuals have decided to go out and target further innocent people because they look different or belong to a faith that is a minority," Saylor said.

One reporter asked the leaders gathered at the news conference how they could combat radical videos that pop up on social media.

Saylor said community leaders have forcefully pushed back against what they consider radical elements of the faith.

"Unfortunately every faith has within in it heretical elements, and unfortunately young people in general will listen to those elements."

Saylor said he and other leaders would continue to push back against the heretical element "loudly and clearly."

"We will stand up, we will push back against extremists, and I'm very comfortable we'll win against them eventually."
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Suspect #2 in custody ... Alive, as I had speculated. Not determined to die. He wants to live. Very willing to have others die, or be maimed. Where is the courage of your convictions? Idiot ...

Despite all the blather, which is continuing, I am going to credit the media for intense coverage. I actually did not watch much, but checked in online intermittently.

I am also going to credit the law enforcement officers, and the public for their work and cooperation.

Sigh ... lots of problems in the world.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Officers evacuating neighbours and residents ...

The uncle of the boys condeming their behaviour, and commenting on how the United States has always given people opportunities. :thup:

The parents and one aunt, meanwhile are blaming "others," including blaming a setup by the FBI. :dizzy: