Fidel Castro resigns Cuban presidency

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Case in point. Trudeau's remarks don't necessarily praise the less generous aspects of Castro nor venerate him but correctly point out that in the 20th century, Castro was an important figure in the area of International Relations and Politics. You can hate the man but still call those true statements. Cruz and Rubio are rather pathetic in their condemnation of the opinion of our Prime Minister. The very things that they complain about Castro, suppressing individuality and personal freedoms is exactly what they have just done themselves. Typical American behaviour. Take a difference of opinion and turn it into a zealous "our way or no way" issue. The man is dead. The Revolution took place long before many of those who feel strong emotion about it were even alive including Mr. Rubio and Mr. Cruz. I wonder how many Cuban American's today would choose to go back to Cuba even if suddenly the island became a full fledged democracy acceptable to American's. I suspect not many. I'm sure that there are some that have some faint hope that someday, that lands that may have been lost by family or businesses that were nationalized will be regained. Unlikely but possible I suppose. Sometimes, the past can be instructive, others times an anchor. I believe the latter is more appropriate here. Focusing on some of the injustices of last century is not going to be productive going forward. Trying to continue the punishing ways of the past is pure bitterness. What American's like Cruz and Rubio fail to understand is that Cuba was not American, it never was. There are plenty of places in the world that suffer from a lack of democracy. They don't froth equally about many of those situations but with Cuba it is personal and simultaneously hypocritical. In 1959, they got poked in the eye by Cuba and they are still seething over the fact that Cuba rejected the "American" way. Time to try and find a way forward, not live in the past.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:Case in point. Trudeau's remarks don't necessarily praise the less generous aspects of Castro nor venerate him but correctly point out that in the 20th century, Castro was an important figure in the area of International Relations and Politics. You can hate the man but still call those true statements. Cruz and Rubio are rather pathetic in their condemnation of the opinion of our Prime Minister. The very things that they complain about Castro, suppressing individuality and personal freedoms is exactly what they have just done themselves. Typical American behaviour. Take a difference of opinion and turn it into a zealous "our way or no way" issue. The man is dead. The Revolution took place long before many of those who feel strong emotion about it were even alive including Mr. Rubio and Mr. Cruz. I wonder how many Cuban American's today would choose to go back to Cuba even if suddenly the island became a full fledged democracy acceptable to American's. I suspect not many. I'm sure that there are some that have some faint hope that someday, that lands that may have been lost by family or businesses that were nationalized will be regained. Unlikely but possible I suppose. Sometimes, the past can be instructive, others times an anchor. I believe the latter is more appropriate here. Focusing on some of the injustices of last century is not going to be productive going forward. Trying to continue the punishing ways of the past is pure bitterness. What American's like Cruz and Rubio fail to understand is that Cuba was not American, it never was. There are plenty of places in the world that suffer from a lack of democracy. They don't froth equally about many of those situations but with Cuba it is personal and simultaneously hypocritical. In 1959, they got poked in the eye by Cuba and they are still seething over the fact that Cuba rejected the "American" way. Time to try and find a way forward, not live in the past.
makes sense to me
Every day that passes is one you can't get back