miss teen USA from so. carolina

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

MacNews
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:Among the statistics when it comes to Americans and geography:
Interesting stats but I would not be able to find many of those countries on a map either. I just recently finished K-12 and knowing the placement of countries or regions was never a priority in any socials or history class.
  • Two-thirds didn’t know that the earthquake that killed 70,000 people in October 2005 occurred in Pakistan.
  • Six in 10 could not find Iraq on a map of the Middle East.
  • While Israeli-Palestinian strife has been in the news for the entire lives of the respondents, 75 percent were unable to locate Israel on a map of the Middle East.
  • Seventy percent could not find Iran or Israel.
  • Nearly three-quarters incorrectly named English as the most widely spoken native language.
  • Six in 10 did not know the border between North and South Korea is the most heavily fortified in the world. Thirty percent thought the most heavily fortified border was between the United States and Mexico.
  • 63 percent of Americans aged 18 to 24 failed to correctly locate the country on a map of the Middle East.
  • Remember the December 2004 tsunami and the widespread images of devastation in Indonesia? Three-quarters of respondents failed to find that country on a map. And three-quarters were unaware that a majority of Indonesia's population is Muslim, making it the largest Muslim country in the world.
I wouldn't be able to pass any of those questions. It's funny they mention Israel 3 times, they really drive the point home.

And if English is not the most spoken language, then what is? Chinese?
Charlene

Soundy wrote:
Dan Russell wrote:Yea she cracked under the pressure and now will be ridiculed for the rest of her time.
For a second there, I thought you were talking ABOUT Charlene...

<ducking>

hahaha, me too!
pinkfreud

MacNews wrote:Interesting stats but I would not be able to find many of those countries on a map either. I just recently finished K-12 and knowing the placement of countries or regions was never a priority in any socials or history class.

I wouldn't be able to pass any of those questions. It's funny they mention Israel 3 times, they really drive the point home.

And if English is not the most spoken language, then what is? Chinese?
I don't think many Canadians would be able to either. I think Americans get unfairly mocked for not being able to identify other countries on a map. However, I think it's a concrete example people probably use to allude to the often articulated view that their government (not necessarily the people themselves) has a self-centred perspective of their relative importance in the world. What made me laugh about her second (modified) answer was that it had the same self-centred quality to it - well, my friends and I can read maps so someone should fix it so other people can too - not much insight or vision beyond the end of her own nose. But, in her defense, she's only 17 and that's an appropriately self-centred time in the life of a girl her age.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I find it astonishing that anyone who can read english, can have a map in english, and not find anything that is on it??

Same with city maps. I always tell people, never mind giving me directions, just give the address and a map, and I be there. I dont get why this is difficult for anyone. I am a high school dropout, sucked at social studies, never passed grade 9, and a bad memory for facts, if I can read a map, if I have basic understanding where most countries are in the world, anyone should be able to find any country, as long as the word is on the map. I just cant comprehend most of the stats that Robbie posted :? :?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:I find it astonishing that anyone who can read english, can have a map in english, and not find anything that is on it??

Same with city maps. I always tell people, never mind giving me directions, just give the address and a map, and I be there. I dont get why this is difficult for anyone. I am a high school dropout, sucked at social studies, never passed grade 9, and a bad memory for facts, if I can read a map, if I have basic understanding where most countries are in the world, anyone should be able to find any country, as long as the word is on the map. I just cant comprehend most of the stats that Robbie posted :? :?
They're probably being asked to pick it out of an unlabelled map with only the coastlines and borders marked in.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

MacNews wrote:And if English is not the most spoken language, then what is? Chinese?
Yes, Mandarin Chinese.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

but english is the most common outside china, right???
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Robbie
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:but english is the most common outside china, right???
Hmmmm....I'm not so sure about that. In many cities in Canada, especially Vancouver, I hear more Chinese in public places than English.
CartWheelFan
All Star

Well, all I can say/think/add to this thread/topic, is that I think most of these girls are pre-programed for questions where the automatic answer is; "world peace" so I heard someone say that she said she only heard two words of the question, and that may well be true, if you're expecting to hear something, and ready with your answer (world peace) in your mind, you might let your concentration lapse a little.
CartWheelFan
All Star

MacNews wrote:Forget a few years, she can join my squad any day. :rockin:
I second that!
nelson95
Legend

IMHO beauty pagents are stupid
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
MacNews
Team Captain

nelson95 wrote:IMHO beauty pagents are stupid
Why, I'd rather watch that then Big Brother XXIIVIVIIIVVIVIII.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

nelson95 wrote:IMHO beauty pagents are stupid
Miss Grey Cup ? or is it Ms. Grey Cup ?
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Since you all seem to be so interested, here are a lot more pictures of her.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Reviving this old thread in light of the recent dramatic moments of beauty pageants....

In the 2007 Miss Teen USA contestant from South Carolina made some rather dumb statements in her interview question. But the response didn't directly affect or hurt anybody other than herself.

But in 2015 Miss Universe host Steve Harvey made an extremely huge blunder than indeed devastated a young lady. :puke:
Host Steve Harvey announced in international television that Miss Colombia had won the Miss Universe title and had her title crown and sash placed on her....only then to announce that he made a mistake and the actual winner was Miss Philippines. :bawl:
Last edited by Robbie on Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。