anti wide screen rant\vent\whatever

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

User avatar
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7336
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:32 pm
Location: Delta

Rick James wrote:KIA was probably complaining back when they started to sell bread already sliced too. :juggle:
youbet, dammit. takes all the fun out of playing with knives, grrr

and I really hated it when they came out with polio vacine(sp?) too :x

and electricity, sheesh, whats up with that.

Bring back the outhouse :thup:


Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Rick James
Legend
Posts: 1244
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:49 pm

:thup:


User avatar
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend
Posts: 2051
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:37 pm
Location: Turn left at the Pattullo

Maybe your next purchase could be a "full screen" version of Stargate. Almost all dvd's nowadays come in both formats. Hint: it's listed on the outside of the box. Unless you're still using VHS. :wink:

Widescreen for sheep.
Fullscreen for dinosaurs.

You seem to post more during the off season than during the season....guess you don't really watch that much tv anyways.


I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
User avatar
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7336
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:32 pm
Location: Delta

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:Maybe your next purchase could be a "full screen" version of Stargate. Almost all dvd's nowadays come in both formats. Hint: it's listed on the outside of the box. Unless you're still using VHS. :wink:

Widescreen for sheep.
Fullscreen for dinosaurs.

You seem to post more during the off season than during the season....guess you don't really watch that much tv anyways.
like I said, Each season comes in a box and it isnt untill you take off the wrapping and pull the individual case out do you see it say "enhanced" Otherwise, I would take them and try to trade them. Unfortunately, my wife bought them all at difference places over the last yr+, sigh They all exactly the same tho.


Every day that passes is one you can't get back
User avatar
Soundy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Watching on TSNHD.
Contact:

KnowItAll wrote:Soundy, you dont see what is being taken from me? I try again to explain.
Movies have been shot in widescreen since before TV existed. TV has TAKEN AWAY from that experience by forcing them to either be chopped or shrunken, and watched at lower quality that they were intended. TV is only just now starting to match a format that predates it.

The only thing being taken away is the limitations.

Get over it already.


User avatar
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7336
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:32 pm
Location: Delta

Get over it already.
now what would be the fun in that

No matter how you put it, 5 inches of my screens height is being taken away from me.

I have not yet begun to fight :wink: :twisted: :yes:


Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer
Posts: 3093
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:07 am
Location: Parts Unknown

I've come to this conclusion:
KIA is not going to change. Let's just let him live in his current medium while everyone else proceeds to the slaughterhouse (in this case, the future) like the sheep that we are.


User avatar
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7336
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:32 pm
Location: Delta

Let's just let him live in his current medium
thats all I ask of the TV stations :thup: :yes:

ya know, the future isnt all its cracked up to be. More environment issues, less ozone, more antibiotic resistant desease, more war, more crime, more suffering world wide, over population, water issues, etc.

Then there is that whole biblical 7 yrs of tribulation stuff, and armegeddon, and......


Future...you can have. I would love to go back a few decades, if not centuries :yes:

Fresh air, clear unpoluted water, no need for sunscreen. People more active and generally healthier. Kids could be usually safe to take off by themselves for the afternoon. Ahh yes, the good ole days over the future anytime :thup:


Every day that passes is one you can't get back
User avatar
Soundy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Watching on TSNHD.
Contact:

Canuck_4_Life wrote:I've come to this conclusion:
KIA is not going to change. Let's just let him live in his current medium while everyone else proceeds to the slaughterhouse (in this case, the future) like the sheep that we are.
I'll baa baa baa all you want if you'll buy me a 60-inch plasma set...


User avatar
Rammer
MVP
MVP
Posts: 22221
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:04 pm
Location: Coquitlam, B.C.

Soundy wrote:
Canuck_4_Life wrote:I've come to this conclusion:
KIA is not going to change. Let's just let him live in his current medium while everyone else proceeds to the slaughterhouse (in this case, the future) like the sheep that we are.
I'll baa baa baa all you want if you'll buy me a 60-inch plasma set...
One of the big box stores just had a listing in their flyer for a 65 inch screen. If KIA would purchase that one, he could gain back that 5 inches on his current screen that he has been missing and more. Of course the price point of just under $12K may be preventitive, and if not there is the 103" plasma for $70K US that is available.


Entertainment value = an all time low
Gerry
Legend
Posts: 1040
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:26 pm
Location: Surrey, BC

KnowItAll wrote:
That way you can really live in the past.
I realize you trying to be insulting for some reason, but it is a common misconception that whats newer is better and that it is for some reason a minus to continue to appreciate something that has been around for a while. I am proud that I stick to my tastes and dont jump from one new thing to the next with the rest of the sheep.

New doesnt always = progress
Progress doesnt always = good

It is a young persons mentality that not going with the new is a minus.
I apologise. I don't mean to insult you, but you have been insulting everyone else with your sheep comment since you started this silly thread.

Most of what you say is ridiculous. No one is taking anything away from you by putting out a product in a different aspect ratio than what your TV provides you. No one forces you to buy or view those products.

I am one of the "sheep" you refer to. I like the wide screen view because I like to see the whole movie, not a cropped version. I like the wide screen view of sports programming and especially the high definition improvement in picture quality. If a new technology comes along, and they do with regularity, it only makes sense to do it in a format that more closely approximates our natural field of view and the product most often viewed for it's visual impact (movies).

You can still watch whatever you want on your older style TV and those of us that have the newer style still have to put up with the black bars on the sides until most programming becomes widescreen. By then your old TV will crap out and you'll be buying a widescreen at a much lower price than I paid for mine. Lucky you.


CB123
Legend
Posts: 1632
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:07 pm
Location: Sec.17 Row.G Seats.101-102

No matter how you put it, 5 inches of my screens height is being taken away from me.
Yeah I didnt like that about the 1st 5 times I watched movies with widescreen. But then I woke up and realized that im getting the whole movie, and its way better lol.


BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
almo89
Legend
Posts: 1921
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:51 am
Location: Coquitlam

giwiens wrote:Would like to add my two bits to this mutli-person rant.

Widescreen TV's are fine as long as what is on them is presented in a matching format i.e. a 16x9 (widescreen) ratio screen should be showing a 16x9 ratio program. As someone who shows movies for a living (both film and video projection) it really, really bugs me to see a 4x3 ratio show stretched to fill a 16x9 ratio screen making even Celine Dion seem very wide.

KIA, I understand your frustration with the letter box black bars at the top and bottom but I'm sure you will agree that seeing it stretched would look even worse.
WORD! We had 4x3 TVs for the longest time and watched movies in 2.35:1 ratio all the time with black bars. Didn't bug me at all. I know that I'm seeing everything the way it was intended. Pan and scan just pisses me off. Now that we have a 16x9 TV, anamorphic movies are better than ever. And what about those old TV show that were in 4x3? We watch them now on 4x3 with bars on the sides. Doesn't bug me at all. I hate it when you take a 4x3 ratio program and stretch it.


User avatar
Soundy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Watching on TSNHD.
Contact:

almo89 wrote: WORD! We had 4x3 TVs for the longest time and watched movies in 2.35:1 ratio all the time with black bars. Didn't bug me at all. I know that I'm seeing everything the way it was intended. Pan and scan just pisses me off. Now that we have a 16x9 TV, anamorphic movies are better than ever. And what about those old TV show that were in 4x3? We watch them now on 4x3 with bars on the sides. Doesn't bug me at all. I hate it when you take a 4x3 ratio program and stretch it.
Yeah, see, that's even worse: you spend all this money for a new TV with higher resolution and more real estate, and then you have to lose an even bigger percentage of it to black bars on the ends because so many stupid TV programs are still being shot and broadcast in 4:3?? Bastards! They're taking away my choice to watch shows on the full size of my TV!!


User avatar
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer
Posts: 4361
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:06 pm
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba

Rammer wrote:
Soundy wrote:
Canuck_4_Life wrote:I've come to this conclusion:
KIA is not going to change. Let's just let him live in his current medium while everyone else proceeds to the slaughterhouse (in this case, the future) like the sheep that we are.
I'll baa baa baa all you want if you'll buy me a 60-inch plasma set...
One of the big box stores just had a listing in their flyer for a 65 inch screen. If KIA would purchase that one, he could gain back that 5 inches on his current screen that he has been missing and more. Of course the price point of just under $12K may be preventitive, and if not there is the 103" plasma for $70K US that is available.
I'll "one up" you........108" LCD !!!

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040_22-6147 ... ag=nl.e622

IMHO, the "changing of the guard" to widescreen HD Dolby 5.1 from the 4x3 low def mono/stereo is every bit an improvement as when TV's went to color from B&W way back when.

The improvement is huge.

IMHO, for someone to say that they prefer the older technology is ludicrous.......and most likely a result of being in a state of denial due to a recent unwise investment in old technology.


Lloyd
Post Reply