anti wide screen rant\vent\whatever

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:tsk tsk tsk, so easily offended you are. Thats what I get for simply trying to reason with you I guess. Some people are just determined to find insult where none is meant, sigh.
And some people don't know when to let go.

Move on KIA, you've, cough cough, made your point.
Why are you saying that???
West Coast Blue Fan wrote:And this link is provided for your benefit, as you did write that you are "having picture taken away from you"

http://www.widescreen.org/downloads/wid ... nation.swf
I never said I was having any "picture" taken from me. Apparently, I have NOT made my point. I had\have smaller tvs where the height of the picture is only about 12.5 inches. Too small. So I went out and bought not a 32 inch, but a 36 inch tv so that now my height is 23inches. Much better. Except, when they put wide screen on, it goes back down to 17inch. I therefore lose 6 inches of what I had gained and which was why I bought my TV in the first place. That means I am once again watching a SMALLER picture than I am supposed to on my TV. If I had wanted to see only 17 inches in height, I would have bought a 27 inch tv. I Dont need to see the extra, I just need to be able to see the main part better. Vision problems makes it hard for me to see the hockey puck or read lettering when the picture is small,etc. I need the picture to stay big. I have a right to expect the picture to stay big.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

you all have convinced me that maybe in this case, there are not as many sheeple involved as there are with many other situations. You also have convinced me that there is more advantage to wide screen than I want to admit. However, it still comes down to choice. I beleive that my choice to continue to use the "inferior" product should not be taken from me. I believe that they should continue to broadcast full screen for as many yrs as the average full screen tv is expect to last, from the day they quit making them. I understand you can still get smaller ones. I am guessing that most tvs can last up to 20 yrs. In other words, I should still get full picture on my TV into the 2020's, at which point I expect to no longer care anyhow. In spite of the suggested difficulty in dual broadcasting, I still say, if they can do it with HD, then they can do it with widescreen. They could find a way, if they had to.
Gerry
Legend

By 2010 I doubt that anything will be produced in 4:3 anymore. Any new programming you see on your older style TV will have the bars top and bottom. (And if you want to watch the old shows on your new style TV in the proper aspect, you'll have bars at the sides.)

Just like all sound is now stereo at a minimum, all pictures are in colour, and most vehicles have automatic transmissions. That's just the way it is because most people want it that way.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

because most people want it that way.
there's the rub, sigh
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Gerry wrote:That's just the way it is because most people want it that way.
No we don't... we've just all been CONVINCED that we want it that way. We're all sheep. Haven't you been paying attention?

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Soundy wrote:
Gerry wrote:That's just the way it is because most people want it that way.
No we don't... we've just all been CONVINCED that we want it that way. We're all sheep. Haven't you been paying attention?

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
clearly, you have not :roll:
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Maybe it's time to upgrade your big 36 incher.......

I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Rammer
Team Captain

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:Maybe it's time to upgrade your big 36 incher.......

Looks like a Bombers TV over the past few seasons....:lol:
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I almost kick in my television when Damon Allen got caught for another delay of game penalty. :lol:
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:

I almost kick in my television when Damon Allen got caught for another delay of game penalty. :lol:
I don't worry about that anymore, in fact I kind of enjoy it.
Entertainment value = an all time low
obs
Champion

So I went out and bought not a 32 inch, but a 36 inch tv so that now my height is 23inches. Much better. Except, when they put wide screen on, it goes back down to 17inch.

That's your own fault for not seeing the change in weather. It was never a secret that widescreen was the direction that things are shifting to.

However, it still comes down to choice. I beleive that my choice to continue to use the "inferior" product should not be taken from me. I believe that they should continue to broadcast full screen for as many yrs as the average full screen tv is expect to last, from the day they quit making them.

It comes to money. If you want FS, there's nothing stopping you from contacting all the studios/stations and offering them money for what you want.

I still say, if they can do it with HD, then they can do it with widescreen.

You can say it all you want, but it's not going to happen with the extra costs involved with re-doing each and every widescreen episode for pan and scan. It's a lot different than just setting up two broadcast feeds, one in HD and one in SD. You can always do it yourself with a computer + software.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

obs wrote: So I went out and bought not a 32 inch, but a 36 inch tv so that now my height is 23inches. Much better. Except, when they put wide screen on, it goes back down to 17inch.

That's your own fault for not seeing the change in weather. It was never a secret that widescreen was the direction that things are shifting to.
I didnt just buy my TV yesterday, it was about 34 months ago. It was no secret that wide screen and other new technology was becoming popular, but noone at that time said that they were going to stop making regular TVs and that basic TV stations were going to start broadcasting in wide screen. Just didnt see that one coming.
obs wrote:However, it still comes down to choice. I beleive that my choice to continue to use the "inferior" product should not be taken from me. I believe that they should continue to broadcast full screen for as many yrs as the average full screen tv is expect to last, from the day they quit making them.

It comes to money. If you want FS, there's nothing stopping you from contacting all the studios/stations and offering them money for what you want.
oh yeah....I will be contacting some of t hem as well as CRTC, but it wont be to offer anyone any mone. In fact, as much as I know this will cause many eyes to roll, I intend to look into the possibility of legal action. If that dont work, well...who knows :twisted:
obs wrote:I still say, if they can do it with HD, then they can do it with widescreen.

You can say it all you want, but it's not going to happen with the extra costs involved with re-doing each and every widescreen episode for pan and scan. It's a lot different than just setting up two broadcast feeds, one in HD and one in SD. You can always do it yourself with a computer + software.
its not that hard for the stations to do. They already been doing it to movies all this time. They can keep doing it as they have been and duel broadcast with the wide screen as well.

as for doing it myself, I would love to know how, if it is really possible. There should be an attachment, like a digital converter, to add to reg tv that converts wide screen to full screen. Better yet if it would allow one to scroll the pic sideways. Technology is there. If no one else is doing so, maybe I can make a buck :cr:
Soundy
Hall of Famer

So I went out and bought not a 32 inch, but a 36 inch tv so that now my height is 23inches. Much better. Except, when they put wide screen on, it goes back down to 17inch.
Maybe I'm just not as fussy because I got my 36" Sony Wega for FREE :) :) :) :)
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

ok, 11 years later and I still love my non hd 36 in crt full screen.

Got a good larger wide screen downstairs but I mostly just use it for hockey and football games.

Still watch a lot of older shows on such stations as metv as well as having many old series on DVD.

I hope my tv outlives me.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:47 pm

ok, 11 years later and I still love my non hd 36 in crt full screen.

Got a good larger wide screen downstairs but I mostly just use it for hockey and football games.

Still watch a lot of older shows on such stations as metv as well as having many old series on DVD.

I hope my tv outlives me.
just wanna say that I am still enjoying same TV. They can bury it with me :cr: