anti wide screen rant\vent\whatever

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Soundy
Hall of Famer

Canuck_4_Life wrote:Let me get this straight, you're against widescreen tvs (advancement of technology and TV manufacturers ultimate direction) and you will be until it gets forced on you...
Hey, if he's that opposed to advancements in technology, I think an aunt of mine has an early-70s vintage black-and-white TV complete with rabbit ears and both VHF *and* UHF tuning; I'm sure she'd let you come and take it out of her garage for free. After all, who needs all these newfangled technological gimmicks being forced on them anyway? Stuff like color, remotes, cable... it's all a rip-off. Hey, if you want, I could probably source an old reel-to-reel VTR too - you'll have a *beeotch* of a time finding tape for it, but you know, advancements like VHS have just been shoved down our throats all these years...
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

I'm just wondering what he's doing with cordless phones in his house and 2 cell phones, when they're the next step (which hasn't been rammed down our collective throats) in the ever changing techno-landscape.
LFITQ
Team Captain

So the guy has an issue with one "advancement". He never said he has a problem with ALL "advancements". He obviously doesn't have one with personal computers considering he is here.

So some people jump down his throat and because they can't give a good viable argument against the matter at hand, try and redirect the issue to something that clearly the original post wasn't about.

I suggest those of you that are trying to "weigh in" on the discussion, take a step backand come up with a thoughtful argument pro or con the widescreen issue before going all of on a tangent in an attempt to "pressure" the OP.

You don't win points by not discussing the original point.

Keep it to Pro or con widescreen Television shows. I have already thrown my hat in with KIA on the side that prefers "formatted to fit your screen" TV shows and a MUST have widescreen for movies. Does tha make me a technophobe like many of you are trying to make KIA out to be?
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Does tha make me a technophobe like many of you are trying to make KIA out to be?
whats funny about that is that my wife and I are computer professionals :yes:

We bought our first PC, a good ole 386, back in 90. Of course, even though I got new computers, I still cant bring myself to get rid of the first one, sigh
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Canuck_4_Life wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:I have no idea what you are saying??? You seem to be in disagreement with me, but have made no point to that end.
Basically, if I understand him correctly, why should you care what your neighbour has?
I dont, except when it takes away from me. If you guys really been reading and comprehending my posts, you would get that already
Canuck_4_Life wrote:If you want to continue on with your 65lb (or whatever they weigh) 26" TV, so be it. Good luck finding parts for it when it craps out, or the quality goes to hell.
thats 36", and you just partially answered your above question. Its the fact that all or most of my neighbours, like sheep, are switching over that will make my finding parts improbably, grrrr
Canuck_4_Life wrote:Let me get this straight, you're against widescreen tvs (advancement of technology and TV manufacturers ultimate direction) and you will be until it gets forced on you and yet you have 2 cell phones (hopefully one of which was forced on you by your occupation), when the average person has 1. It seems to me that you resist change in certain aspects (widescreen tv) and willingly accept change in different aspects (cell phones) both of which are becoming mainstream to the point where widescreen tvs are just considered "tvs" and some people don't have a landline and use their cell phones instead.
I already explained all that as well, dont you pay attention? In the case of the TV, something is being taken away from me, choice. With the phones, I still have the choice, for now, of land lines. As long as I have that choice, I dont mind the other as well. Yes, I do roll my eyes at the way others, specially teenagers overuse cell phones, and text messages, etc. However, they make sense to have one in each car. Stupid not to actually. I keep my only in my car. My wife sometimes carries here with her. We don't give the numbers out, except my wife has given hers to a few of the people who work under her for work emergencys.

You might be surprised to know that I also drive power steering and automatic transmission. However, I would agree with anyone who complained if they could not get Manual. Is that so hard to understand?

If the TV stations would continue to broadcast for my tv and dual broadcast another signal for widescreen, much the way some do with HD, then you wouldnt hear a peep out of me, other than to give my personal opinion that I do not prefer such tvs when someone else brought the subject up.

My post here was about two points. First, my choice being taken from me. Second, part of the reason for my choice being taken from me is what I see as sheep mentality.

Wide screen tech = advancement? Not IMO.

I don't need to see Bruce Willis on the screen while the driver is talking. I saw him get in the car, I know he is there, I know what he looks like, and I see him in most every other seen. Maybe if he was sitting there getting heavy with a couple of naked girls......naahhh, at my point in life, I dont need to see that either.
Jedrock43

The first time I cruised through the forum and saw the title of this thread It thought it was going to be about wide receiver screen passing plays.

I hate those too.

As far as the wide screen debate goes- I think that choice is always a good thing.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

The first time I cruised through the forum and saw the title of this thread It thought it was going to be about wide receiver screen passing plays.

I hate those too.
:lol: :lol: :lol: good one :yes:
Soundy
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Canuck_4_Life wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:I have no idea what you are saying??? You seem to be in disagreement with me, but have made no point to that end.
Basically, if I understand him correctly, why should you care what your neighbour has?
I dont, except when it takes away from me. If you guys really been reading and comprehending my posts, you would get that already
I still don't see how this is "taking away" anything. Screens are getting more real estate. Shows are giving more visual information. Visual data in general is getting more detail and clarity. The widescreen format more closely matches our area of vision.

You're upset because you have to see things a little bit smaller in widescreen-formatted video, yet you have no problem with widescreen content that's been heavily cropped, "taking away" a significant and sometimes meaningful part of the content. I'm sorry, but that's just ridiculous.

Canuck_4_Life wrote:If you want to continue on with your 65lb (or whatever they weigh) 26" TV, so be it. Good luck finding parts for it when it craps out, or the quality goes to hell.
thats 36", and you just partially answered your above question. Its the fact that all or most of my neighbours, like sheep, are switching over that will make my finding parts improbably, grrrr
I guess everyone who switched from VHS to DVD are sheep too, then. And those who switched from LP and cassette to CD.

People are not switching because the TVs are wider. They're switching because the new sets are thinner, lighter, more energy-efficient, and most importantly, HIGH-DEFINITION. In short, because the new standards are BETTER.
I already explained all that as well, dont you pay attention? In the case of the TV, something is being taken away from me, choice.
It is? You mean the Best Buy Police are banging down your door, carting off your CRT, and bolting LCDs down all over the place?
If the TV stations would continue to broadcast for my tv and dual broadcast another signal for widescreen, much the way some do with HD, then you wouldnt hear a peep out of me, other than to give my personal opinion that I do not prefer such tvs when someone else brought the subject up.
You know, if you want choice, and you like your content fullscreen without the black bars, you can always get a new set that will "zoom" the picture to fill up the screen, basically the same thing as pan-and-scan content. But then you'd have a widescreen TV anyway, and it wouldn't matter.
My post here was about two points. First, my choice being taken from me.
No, it's not. Your old TV still works and will for a long time. You still have all the same channels and the same content available. It's not going anywhere for a long time.
Second, part of the reason for my choice being taken from me is what I see as sheep mentality.
Why are people "sheep" because they like to have improvements in their viewing experience?
Wide screen tech = advancement? Not IMO.
Then don't buy it. Nobody's forcing you to.
D
Team Captain

Soundy wrote:
D wrote:
Soundy wrote:So... Canucks PPV tomorrow night at D's place?
I don't do PPV ..... I don't like to encourage them .... if they can charge to watch the games then eventually they won't be on for free :wink:
They make far more money selling the broadcast rights to the various networks than they would ever get from PPV, especially when you consider the extremely limited (by comparison) audience the PPV is available to. People outside the "home market" can't get the PPVs; people without *digital* cable or satellite can't get the PPV.

Besides, you ARE paying for the "free" games: that's what the commercials are for. Your $10 buys you a complete lack of them.
That's $10 per game .... I am old enough to have paid that much to see the Canucks Live :lol: .... PS I am going tonight :rockin:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Soundy, you dont see what is being taken from me? I try again to explain.

Ya see, I have a 36 inch full screen, that means that my picture is 29 inches wide and 22 inches high. Now, tv stations are starting to broadcast more and more in wide screen, and I have now the first 6 seasons of Stargate on DVD, all wide screen. This means than now I only get about 17 or less inches in height. This is taking away from me. I can not just go out and buy a wide screen that will give me 22 inches in height because a) I just invested in my present tv a couple of yrs ago, and b) I dont have room for a TV that wide.

I am in the process of collecting as much fav TV series as I can. So far Star Trek and McGyver are ok, but dammit, Stargate is in wide format, WTF. Its a tv show made before the popularity of wide screen TVs :roll: I dont know if Stargate is available in full format or not. My family got me the first 6 yrs as gifts. It should be, but probably is not, sigh. What a rip off. Nothing on the outside packaging indicates any choice. Only on the inside does it say "enhanced for 16 blah blah blah" grrrr Now I wonder, how far back are they going to do this. Will they do this to shows from the 60's, 50's. Taking away my choice is what it is.

It is rare that anything "cut" for tv is a needed part of a show. Its all extra. They usually do a good job of editing so that you see what you need to see for the story. And how the hell do they enhance a tv show that wasnt filmed in wide screen in the first place?? Or is someone gonna tell me that all these yrs, they been filming tv shows in wide screen just waiting for todays tvs?

As for zoom, it dont work good on my in-laws tv. They have about 4 or 5 different settings and none of them are good.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

People are not switching because the TVs are wider. They're switching because the new sets are thinner, lighter, more energy-efficient, and most importantly, HIGH-DEFINITION. In short, because the new standards are BETTER.
a tv doesnt have to be wide screen in order to be " thinner, lighter, more energy-efficient, and most importantly, HIGH-DEFINITION", and if stations only transmitted in HD, it wouldnt take anything away from me.
D
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:
a tv doesnt have to be wide screen in order to be " thinner, lighter, more energy-efficient, and most importantly, HIGH-DEFINITION", and if stations only transmitted in HD, it wouldnt take anything away from me.
Ya know ..... with most of these sets you could switch viewing mode to 4 x 3 :yes:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

D wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:
Ya know ..... with most of these sets you could switch viewing mode to 4 x 3 :yes:
yeah. I hear its not good if you do that too much tho?? Doesnt help me with my present set either, sigh.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Guy across the street from me has a really huge full screen. I often watch it from my kitchen :yes:

Have to ask him what he thinks of it all sometime.
Rick James
Legend

KIA was probably complaining back when they started to sell bread already sliced too. :juggle: