Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

sports & stuff----ric
Champion

vancouver giants at chilliwack bruins-- newyears eve!! after that :shock:

probably nothing :sleep:
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Hmmm, I'll be at the Bruins @ Giants game the night before that... you should have a good game, the Bruins will be looking for some payback after the arse-whoopin' the G-Men are gonna lay on them! :)
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Vancouver canceled it last year. I don't know if it will be held this year. So far, the web site doesn't list any details.

http://www.firstnightvancouver.ca/
According to that web site, it says plans are well underway for an event on December 31, 2006, but there are still no details. Does anybody know if there will be a first night celebration in Vancouver this year?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

That must be the best kept secret of the year.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:
pinkfreud wrote:Any word on where to go for New Year's Eve this year? It must be time to start thinking about such things.
I thought we had talked Rob into having a midnight roofgaiter? :juggle:
I really wanted to do that.. and was seriously thinking of it. But Svenska-Flicka was working eve till 3, and next day start at 3pm over in Sechelt so would have been left out. (or is that me?lol) I also didn't know how to resolve the entertainment issue... hmm

Oh well, I guess it could have been cool. :sigh:
Bosco
Team Captain

Lionheart wrote:
Bosco wrote:
pinkfreud wrote:Any word on where to go for New Year's Eve this year? It must be time to start thinking about such things.
I thought we had talked Rob into having a midnight roofgaiter? :juggle:
I really wanted to do that.. and was seriously thinking of it. But Svenska-Flicka was working eve till 3, and next day start at 3pm over in Sechelt so would have been left out. (or is that me?lol) I also didn't know how to resolve the entertainment issue... hmm

Oh well, I guess it could have been cool. :sigh:
Rob - who needs entertainment? We're all so entertaining on our own! :lol:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

It looks like Surrey and Whistler are the only two cities in the province to hold a First Night event this year.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columb ... night.html
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Vancouver unofficially known as No Fun City.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Vancouver unofficially known as No Fun City.
Except when the Lions entertain, of course! :yes:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Of course. Thank God for the Lions for this culturally deprived city. :lol:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The Whitecaps and Giants supplemented the Lions championship season. But despite the Lions winning the Grey Cup, the city couldn't even organize a formal parade to honour them.

I don't think it's a cultural issue as Vancouver certainly has its own share of cultures. It's more like the provincial and city governments aren't doing anything to attract sponsors to promote events that were once very popular. Remember the Vancouver Sea Festival?
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I dont think it should be up to govt to promote "events". Thats not why I pay outrages amount of taxes for. It should be up to business, clubs, individuals and groups of people to put these events together and promote them. I want my elected politicians to spend their time and money on the needed things that they are elected to take care of.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Soundy
Hall of Famer

I agree with KIA here, but remember that SOME support from at least LOCAL government is required - permits, permission to close streets if necessary, support from civil services like trash collection, police, etc. are all required for any large event like this, and unfortunately Vancouver city council seems to be the NIMBYest of them all in simply not permitting a lot of stuff to be done.

Look at the "Celebration of Light" annual fireworks... questionable from year to year because VPD keep talking about withdrawing support services due to a handful of yahoos (out of well-behanved crowds of over half a million over the four nights). Speaking of government support, we almost lost that one as well, when the FEDERAL government banned tobacco sponsorship of such events. Almost lost the Indy because of that one too (that eventually lost out to falling sponsorship, and to development around the False Creek area, but also to CART's refusal to move the race to someone more accomodating a few years ago).
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

There will always be drunk yahoos that will try to spoil these events. Simply banning them is not the solution. They'll just go to another event.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:There will always be drunk yahoos that will try to spoil these events. Simply banning them is not the solution. They'll just go to another event.
Well exactly, but just try telling the VPD and Vancouver council that. As long as it's not THEIR problem, they don't care.