Sony PlayStation 3

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

BBBob

Just computer games for me, awesome graphics with high-res (if you have the horsepower) - games like Oblivion look spectacular.

Having said that, I would like to try a Wii out, the controller is intriguing.

Have fun!
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

BBBob wrote:Just computer games for me, awesome graphics with high-res (if you have the horsepower) - games like Oblivion look spectacular.
What sort of rig (system) do you have?

My POS system goes as follows:
AMD X2 4600+
M2V mobo
1GB DDR2 RAM
360GB HDDs (30GB ATA, 80GB SATA, 250GB SATA)
Radeon X1600 512MB
Samsung Writemaster 16X DVDR
Creative XtremeMusic
Antec 1050B case
Robbie
Hall of Famer

bbgirl wrote:I miss my original NES. :sigh:
Yeah, the NES system of the late 1980's was very popular. That was during the third generation of video game consoles. I had the various accessories that went with that system such as the light gun (NES Zapper) and the Power Pad.

The second generation of video game consoles was from 1976 to 1984, and consisted of three main competitors: Atari 2600, Mattel's Intellivision and ColecoVision.
BBBob

Canuck_4_Life wrote:
BBBob wrote:Just computer games for me, awesome graphics with high-res (if you have the horsepower) - games like Oblivion look spectacular.

AMD X2 4600+
M2V mobo
1GB DDR2 RAM
Radeon X1600 512MB
Creative XtremeMusic
Antec 1050B case
I need to build a new rig soon, however this one has served me well:
P4 2.4 ghz
1 gig RAM
80 gig HD
Nvidia 6600 GT 128 meg (factory over-clocked)
Soundblaster Live 1024 voice
Logitech Marble mouse (trackball - kicks arse)

Nothing fancy but it works!

My next rig will be a gaming monster!

:beer:
bbgirl
Legend

Wow! You're all hooked up, Bob. I need more power for my games. Then again, I probably download too much extra stuff. :oops:
Rammer
Team Captain

BBBob wrote:
Canuck_4_Life wrote:

AMD X2 4600+
M2V mobo
1GB DDR2 RAM
Radeon X1600 512MB
Creative XtremeMusic
Antec 1050B case
I need to build a new rig soon, however this one has served me well:
P4 2.4 ghz
1 gig RAM
80 gig HD
Nvidia 6600 GT 128 meg (factory over-clocked)
Soundblaster Live 1024 voice
Logitech Marble mouse (trackball - kicks arse)

Nothing fancy but it works!

My next rig will be a gaming monster!

I resent that comment Bob.....unless we are talking about the GC. ;)
Entertainment value = an all time low
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

My system upgrade is gonna be a sick four-part adventure, starting with RAM (as much Kingston HyperX as I can put on my m/b), then going onto dual monitors (21-23"), SLI or Crossfire video cards and a compatible m/b.
MacNews
Team Captain

Canuck_4_Life wrote:My system upgrade is gonna be a sick four-part adventure, starting with RAM (as much Kingston HyperX as I can put on my m/b), then going onto dual monitors (21-23"), SLI or Crossfire video cards and a compatible m/b.
RAM is good but you don't need too much, 2 or 3GB will do ya. Don't forget about getting a good CPU, and don't count out ATI either.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

I'm thinking either 2 or 4 GB when I'm all said and done. My m/b has 4 slots, 8GB DDR2 max.
MacNews
Team Captain

No need to buy it all at once, buy 2GB now (For Vista) and upgrade later, if you need to, as prices lower.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

First priority: 2006 locker room sale/renewal of ST
Second priority: Grey Cup 2007
jim604
All Star

the wii is pretty well done.. zelda is hard to put down. the control system is much better than i thought it would be...i love the speaker in it too. it is tiny too... 3 dvd cases. if it werent for the glowing blue light on it when i have a measage, i probably wouldnt notice it... oh ya...the wireless networking, out of the box is pretty slick too. too bad we have to wait until the new year for some online multiplayer games.

no games for the ps3, if you can even find one :) so it will be at least a year before i even thought about it...probably wont get around to it. too expensive...and im not sold on blue-ray, which is included in its hefty price.

the xbox 360 woops its butt for games at the moment... the ps3's top game for a shooter, resistence: fall of man, is about a year back when compared to 360 games. reminds me of the LAST version of COD2. so if its the crazy HD graphics you are looking for...the 360 has it (3 x 3.2 ghz cores... $800 pc equivilent ATI graphics)...Gears of War...chainsaw gun...thats all i have to say. :beer:
BBBob

Canuck_4_Life wrote:My system upgrade is gonna be a sick four-part adventure, starting with RAM (as much Kingston HyperX as I can put on my m/b), then going onto dual monitors (21-23"), SLI or Crossfire video cards and a compatible m/b.
Cool! This is probably redundant, but may I suggest when it is time to build that gaming rig that you checkout this site:
http://www.tomshardware.com/

Btw, the BEST FREE FPS game out there IMHO is Americas Army:
http://www.americasarmy.com

I've been playing this for about 4 years and never get bored with it. This game is very realistic and is much fun. There is a learning curve, easy to learn, hard to master.
Fyi, I played AA for 3+ years on 56K dialup :shock: ... and I did pretty good too! On the SF Recon map I was at one time 7th overall in the world, now I am 18th , but i haven't played that map in over a year.
There are over 7 million registered players in AA and hundreds, if not thousands of free high speed servers to play on.

AA version 2.7 came out about 2 months ago - version 2.8 (2.75?) ought to be out very soon.

Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Okay, back to the topic at hand...........PS3 vs Wii vs whatever.............
LFITQ
Team Captain

Good info on the Wii Jim604.

That's the one I am thinking of getting, just waiting for the stores to actually get some in. Personally I hate this artificial demand the gaming companies have created. Not sure if they really get any benefit from it as it seems to be individuals that are price gouging. Perhaps for the extra bit of "news" items that they get as people point out how ludicrous some people are in paying big $$ to get it first.

Personally it would be nice to be able to put a Wii under the tree for Xmas, but I'm in no hurry.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??