Who remembers...

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Who remembers Live Aid, the benefit concerts for Ethiopian famine relief held 30 years ago today on Saturday, July 13, 1985 at Wembley Stadium in London and (the since demolished) JFK Stadium in Philadelphia?

None of the video from the live broadcasts of either show was ever supposed to be viewed again, something that would be laughably impossible in today's world, but even back then people had VCRs and then youtube happened haha. This is the full closing set of the Philly concert, Bob Dylan with Keith Richards and Ron Wood (before the final free-for-all We Are the World encore). For good measure, to provide the classic goof moment that such a monumental worldwide-viewed performance calls for, Dylan breaks a guitar string during Blowin' In The Wind, so Woody hands over his own as a roadie scrambles to ready a replacement.

[video][/video]

Additional trivia note: between the first two songs Dylan speculates about maybe setting aside $1 or 2 million of the Live Aid proceeds to help struggling American farmers pay off their mortgages. Bob Geldof, who organised the whole thing, was mightily pissed off at him for going off-message from what Live Aid was about — but those remarks were the genesis of the Farm Aid concerts.

If you want to feel old, Bob Dylan was only 44 at the time of this performance. Richards and Wood were even younger.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Every day that passes is one you can't get back
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Who remembers the late, longtime BC Premier Bill Bennett?

Did you vote for the Social Credit party in 1975, 1979, and 1983?
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Who remembers the late, longtime BC Premier Bill Bennett?

Never voted the Socreds but Bennett did a lot for this province.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Who remembers the late, longtime BC Premier Bill Bennett?

I remember his daddy who I think did even more good for BC

Good political family

too young for vote for W.A.C and was away from BC for most of Bill's years in charge.
jcalhoun
Starter

Hey all,

I was eight years old when Bill Bennett resigned in the spring of 1986, and I still recall being in my elementary school library when suddenly the school's intercom broadcast his resignation speech on --it would have had to have been CKNW 98 back then. Several of the teachers then opened their classroom doors and cheered and exchanged smiles and hoots with each other. The librarian, considerably older than the other teachers then said to them, "what are you cheering for? He's been a great premier." I remember thinking the whole thing mysterious and asking my old man about it over dinner that evening.

It's hard to imagine what BC, and specifically the downtown core, would look like without his government's infrastructure. The dome, skytrain, convention centre, etc.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

jcalhoun wrote:Hey all,

I was eight years old when Bill Bennett resigned in the spring of 1986, and I still recall being in my elementary school library when suddenly the school's intercom broadcast his resignation speech on --it would have had to have been CKNW 98 back then. Several of the teachers then opened their classroom doors and cheered and exchanged smiles and hoots with each other. The librarian, considerably older than the other teachers then said to them, "what are you cheering for? He's been a great premier." I remember thinking the whole thing mysterious and asking my old man about it over dinner that evening.

It's hard to imagine what BC, and specifically the downtown core, would look like without his government's infrastructure. The dome, skytrain, convention centre, etc.
Not to mention that professionals shouldn't bring their partisan politics into the workplace especially when that place happens to be a school full of children.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Teachers have had an ongoing feud with the government in power for years.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I know, just about every large union seems to have an ongoing feud with the Provincial Government. The classroom however should be mitts of for that kind of behaviour. Job action is job action but personal political agenda's have no place in a classroom. I have no problems with discussions of politics and the political process so long as the teacher creates and atmosphere where every point of view is valid. In other words, stay neutral.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:Teachers have had an ongoing feud with the government in power for years.
They have an ongoing feud with any government that isn't of the NDP flavour. I thought the last labour dispute was quite hilarious, not for the kids but rather for the teachers. Teachers started crying poverty about a week into their strike. The teachers had no strike fund built up whatsoever figuring they don't need one because they'll just get legislated back to work. The government called their bluff. Wanna go on strike? Fill yer boots BCTF. That was something the BCTF was absolutely unprepared for. It was like "No you can't let us go on strike. Legislate us back. We have mouths to feed and mortgages to pay. We can't afford to miss a payday." It was a brilliant move by the government.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Teachers have had an ongoing feud with the government in power for years.
They have an ongoing feud with any government that isn't of the NDP flavour. I thought the last labour dispute was quite hilarious, not for the kids but rather for the teachers. Teachers started crying poverty about a week into their strike. The teachers had no strike fund built up whatsoever figuring they don't need one because they'll just get legislated back to work. The government called their bluff. Wanna go on strike? Fill yer boots BCTF. That was something the BCTF was absolutely unprepared for. It was like "No you can't let us go on strike. Legislate us back. We have mouths to feed and mortgages to pay. We can't afford to miss a payday." It was a brilliant move by the government.
Plus that a lot of the union dues were used to get the NDP elected
Robbie
Hall of Famer

In light of the two celebrity passages today, I'm sure you remember their highlights.

I'd say Prince's rise to fame occurred in 1984 when he starred and performed the 1984 movie Purple Rain
[video][/video]

And he hit the spotlight again when he provided the soundtrack for the 1989 Batman
[video][/video]

And for wrestling fans, you all remember Chyna being the first and only woman intercontinental champion, twice
[video][/video]
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

when messier had hair
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

when a welfare check would get you a train ticket between van and tor with money left over for snacks.