1971 Chevron Bonus Cards - Ebay

Got em, Need em, Find em, Get em!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Did anyone see that 6 of the 9 rare Chevron bonus cards issued in the 1971 season recently sold on Ebay? They went for big bucks.

It appears that each one sold for about $200 Canadian with taxes and fees (except Larry Highbaugh which went for about $275 Canadian). Here are the cards that were up for auction (and some of these guys played just a couple/few games for the Leos toward the latter part of the season).

QB - Howard "Rusty" Clark
WR - Larry Highbaugh
RB - Lawrence James (sadly, just passed away in April)
WR - Brian Kelsey
FB - Dick Lyons
DB - Jim Tomlin

Missing:

DT - Ross Boise
G - Steve Duich
LB - Carl Weathers

Can you imagine what the Carl Weathers card would have sold for?!?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
PGSSS74
Rookie

Hi David. A Carl Weathers just sold on epay for US $930.00, Approximately C $1,145.71.

I repeat here the blurb by the seller, about the card. Can anybody confirm that the cards were only available in "select areas?"

"""During the 1971 Canadian Football League season, Chevron/Standard Oil issued a set of BC Lions football cards. The cards were only issued in Vancouver and select areas of British Columbia (BC). Near the end of the promotion, the company issued nine (9) new cards. These featured players the team had added during the season. These BONUS cards were only available if kids wrote to Chevron requesting them. The print run must have been extremely small as even the most advanced CFL and football collectors do not own a single one of these bonus cards or know of their existence! Carl Weathers was one of the 9 bonus cards issued and is by far, the key to the set! His year and one game stint in the NFL was not long enough for him to appear on a Topps football card."""
David
Team Captain

Hey PGSSS74. I believe everything the seller posted about the story of Chevron cards is correct.

These bonus cards are as rare as hen's teeth. I know of only one other person who owns (owned?) them.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar