Back Support for Lions Supporters

Got em, Need em, Find em, Get em!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

I ran across a piece of 70s Lions memorabilia that I have never seen before while on holiday this summer. I had to pick it up as it was (at least in my mind) bit of an oddball piece and I was wondering if anyone has any memories of using it while going to Empire.

It is a piece of corrugated cardboard that folds down into a seat; much like those low profile chairs you can use at open air concerts. I took a couple of pictures....
Photo on 2017-08-03 at 12.53 PM.jpg
Photo on 2017-08-03 at 12.52 PM.jpg
Were these fairly common back in the day? They obviously were meant to be fairly ephemeral and being made of cardboard they likely didn't last long.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
QB Club 63
All Star

I wouldn't say they were common but yeah, we used them at old Empire. Our seats were in the far northeast corner, section EE, aka the CKNW 98 Club. Back in the day the seating was basically a wooden plank (painted 2x8?) and your back would get sore from lack of support so these would make it a bit more comfortable. Since we were in the last covered section, the rain would blow in under the roof from the north, turning the cardboard to mush, so I'm surprised the ones you found were in pretty good shape.

I can't find examples on the web but over the years we also had other versions of folding stadium seat. The best was a heavy-gauge metal wire frame with canvas seat and back, sort of like a director's chair uses. I think the seat was black and the back was orange with a big Lions logo on it. And I think for a couple of seasons we had a seat with a cushion for your butt. Numb bum was a common problem on those cold, hard planks.

The 98 Club had lots of prize giveaways, like record albums, CKNW stickers, and coupon books for Texan Burgers. I remember stopping off at the Texan on West Georgia, a couple of locks from Stanley Park, where we would redeem our coupons then take our food to the park for a picnic.
CardiacKid
Legend

QB Club 63 wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:48 am
I wouldn't say they were common but yeah, we used them at old Empire. Our seats were in the far northeast corner, section EE, aka the CKNW 98 Club. Back in the day the seating was basically a wooden plank (painted 2x8?) and your back would get sore from lack of support so these would make it a bit more comfortable. Since we were in the last covered section, the rain would blow in under the roof from the north, turning the cardboard to mush, so I'm surprised the ones you found were in pretty good shape.

I can't find examples on the web but over the years we also had other versions of folding stadium seat. The best was a heavy-gauge metal wire frame with canvas seat and back, sort of like a director's chair uses. I think the seat was black and the back was orange with a big Lions logo on it. And I think for a couple of seasons we had a seat with a cushion for your butt. Numb bum was a common problem on those cold, hard planks.

The 98 Club had lots of prize giveaways, like record albums, CKNW stickers, and coupon books for Texan Burgers. I remember stopping off at the Texan on West Georgia, a couple of locks from Stanley Park, where we would redeem our coupons then take our food to the park for a picnic.
There were a couple of CKNW branded pieces on eBay recently related to the Leo's. A couple of those cushions if I remember correct;y. The seller was wanting upwards of $75-$100 but no idea if they sold. Probably worthwhile rooting around to see if you still have them.
BuhlerBob
prospect

I have 2 of the CKNW98 back supports. I will sell them, anyone interested?
David
Team Captain

I have a couple of the foam seat cushions (not the cardboard one). One is from the '60s with the lion astride a football logo and the other from the early 80s.

I don't have the director's chair-style one QB Club 63 describes but I have seen a pretty cool one. It's not exactly how he describes. I think it was manufactured for CKNW. If memory serves me, it's all burnt orange with the "Top Dog" CKNW logo on it somewhere (on the back?).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar