Border Wars and End Zones

Got em, Need em, Find em, Get em!

Moderator: Team Captains

Ballistic Bob
Legend

Just picked up Border Wars and End Zones by Ed Willes from Save on Brooksbank f0r 19.95 plus taxes. The book was mentioned in yesterdays sports section. Indigos has a few copies on Robson and MetroTown as well as Save-On. Thnx BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Story on the Province site http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Zones ... story.html. It looks like a good read but the editing is bad, even for the Province. John Cady? Cleveland Crusanders?
Don Miller
Legend

Saw the book at Chapters looks like a good stocking stuffer
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:Story on the Province site http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Zones ... story.html. It looks like a good read but the editing is bad, even for the Province. John Cady? Cleveland Crusanders?
:rotf: I thought the same thing!!! Who is this John Cady guy!?!?! But I figured it out......

I like Wiles articles so I'm hoping I'll enjoy his book.
Ravi
Legend

Has anyone read this yet? I am about 60% of the way through it and love the stories. Lions fans, in particular, will enjoy the stories about the dysfunctional but championship '94 team. I still can't believe what Lui Passaglia did to James Jefferson! :rotf:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Ravi wrote:Has anyone read this yet? I am about 60% of the way through it and love the stories. Lions fans, in particular, will enjoy the stories about the dysfunctional but championship '94 team. I still can't believe what Lui Passaglia did to James Jefferson! :rotf:
I read the excerpts in the Province a while back and couldn't really find anything I hadn't already heard. The Passaglia story in particular is well-known among Lion fans. Probably a good read for newer fans but I'm guessing most hardcore/longtime CFL fans who lived through that era won't come across much they haven't seen before.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I suppose it's a huge privilege for Danny McManus to be selected to appear on the cover, along with ex-Lion Tracy Gravely.

For those of you who do not know about the altercation between Lui Passaglia and James Jefferson:
In 1994, the B.C. Lions met the Baltimore CFLers in the Grey Cup game in Vancouver. Given the CFL’s sudden love affair with American franchises, there was a widely held belief this would be the last time a Canadian team would compete for Canada’s oldest trophy. The Lions were also an unusual choice to defend our national pride.

Certainly, there was talent on the team. (Quarterback Danny) McManus, (kicker Lui) Passaglia, (defensive back Less) Browne and (receiver Darren) Flutie are all in the CFL Hall of Fame. (Quarterback Kent) Austin isn’t far off, and if there’s justice in our world, (running back Sean) Millington will get there. But there was more to the team than its stars. A lot more.

The Lions, in fact, were a weird amalgam of polished pros, born-again Christians and, without putting too fine an edge on things, certifiable whack jobs. True, the volatile mix of personalities would jell in the storied playoff run, but no one is quite certain how or why it all came together.

“That was the year of all the crazies,” says (Jamie) Taras, the team’s right guard.

“I’m not sure if I’ve ever played on a more talented team,” says Darren Flutie. “I mean, look at the personnel. The problem was chemistry. There was a fight every week for the first half of the season.”

If anything, Flutie undersells the point because there were just as many scraps in the second half of the season. The charter members of the Lions’ fight club were Canadian special teamers (Brian) Forde, (Ryan) Hanson and (Donovan) Wright, along with (Andrew) Stewart, a fearsome defensive lineman when his head was right; and (James) Jefferson, who’d won a Grey Cup with Winnipeg in ‘90 before spending a handful of seasons with the NFL’s Seattle Seahawks. The group, by all accounts, were friends, but it didn’t take much to set off the fireworks.

“It was like brothers,” says (quarterback Giulio) Caravatta. “They’d start kidding, then somebody would take something personally, and there’d be a fight. Then they’d make up and they were friends again.”

They played hard. That wasn’t the problem. Millington, who was on special teams that year, remembers running down the field on kick coverage and having his belt pulled back by a teammate who wanted to beat him to the return man.

But they also made things interesting in the locker room.

“It was,” says Millington, “like a gang of convicts.”

Quite so. On Oct. 15, the Lions were s--t-kicked 38-27 the Roughriders in Regina, a game in which Jefferson got into a fight with a Saskatchewan fan. Although their record was still 9-4, the Lions came off the field in a surly mood and Jefferson entered cursing a blue streak. Passaglia, who’d had a miserable day punting, was just about the enter the shower with a towel wrapped around his waist when he determined he’d had enough. Jumping on a table in the middle of the locker room, the Lions’ 40-year old kicker started screaming at Jefferson: “You want to (f-bombing) fight someone J.J., fight (f-bombing) me.”

Jefferson looked up at the animated kicker and started laughing. “I’m not going to fight you, Lui,” he said.

“Why, are you (f-bombing) chicken?” Passaglia said.

“No, you’re naked,” said Jefferson, pointing to the towel which had fallen to the great kicker’s feet.
I wonder how many other shouting matches Lui had in his 25-year playing career.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Hendu
prospect

Fun book for CFL fans to read!!
I'll never forget that 1994 GC.. Lions v. Baltimore -- us against.. THEM!!
And the chapter about it makes buying to book worthwhile in itself.. though the whole package is excellent CFL reading.
If you haven't picked one up??
Put it on your "Santa List" ASAP.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I finally got a hold of this book by Ed Willes which contains 7 chapters and 208 pages. I think for the first time, I will provide a book review. :wink:

The full name of this book is End Zones & Border Wars The Era of American Expansion in the CFL, written by Province columnist Ed Willes. But contrary to the title, it mentions a lot more than the American expansion and there is definitely an imbalance of coverage of the CFL teams at the time. Specifically, there's definitely a bias by Willes in that I'd say he talks about the BC Lions about 70% of the time, whereas there are certain teams such as the Sacramento Gold Miners who, despite being the first U.S. based team to enter the CFL in 1993, has limited coverage. A more accurate title would be something like: BC Lions and the CFL in the mid-1990's.

Chapter 1 has a decent recap of the difficulties the league faced starting in the late 1980's resulting in many teams to be privatized by being bought by private owners, specifically Pezim for the Lions and Bruce McNall for the Argonauts. It then mentions how Larry Smith was brought in as commissioner as the savior for the league.

Chapter 2 starts with the USA expansion in 1993, but then goes back in time to 1991 in great detail of the purchase of the Argonauts by Bruce McNall, John Candy, and Wayne Gretzky and the huge difficulties that the team faced after winning the 1991 Grey Cup with McNall running into personal financial difficulty. It also explains how Dunigan asked for a huge raise after winning the Grey Cup but Argonauts management was far behind what he was asking for. 1992 was a terrible season for the Argonauts this is an accurate statement: Rickey Foggie replaced Dunigan as the Argos' quarterback and quickly proved why he's been a career backup.

Chapter 3 is okay with more information on the expansion, but mostly about the team from Baltimore.

But starting in chapter 4, it the start of essentially all BC Lions for the next two chapters. It starts about how Bill Comrie bought the Lions in September 1992 and rebuilt the 3-15 team and mentions a lot about Pezim's financial difficulties and also how he would often interrupt Bob O'Billovich's meetings. Every Lions' fan was disappointed why Doug Flutie couldn't be re-signed after 1991. Here's the reason: By '92 his stock holdings were in a down cycle and the Lions' owner could no longer afford Flutie's US $375,000 salary. Ryckman, who'd bought the Stampeders the year before, swept in and signed Flutie to a personal-services contract that topped out a million per. Good information on the re-build of the Lions by obtaining key players at various positions. And an excellent, detailed summary of both the 1994 WDSF and WDF. Willes details the 1994 WDF in great detail about how the Lions trailed 17-7 but then fought back to actually lead 21-17 before Calgary took the lead again 24-21 at halftime.

In the past, I'd often mention Kent Austin vs. Danny McManus. This book clearly explains that in the Lions' locker room, all players preferred McManus over Austin at QB: McManus was also utterly fearless on the field and never once *beeotch* or complained about the travel or the weather conditions or the crummy locker rooms or any of the other realities of life in the CFL. This set him apart from Austin, who could be a prima donna. During that season, several of the receivers came to Browne, who was know to have Ritchie's ear, and told the cornerback they wanted McManus to be the starter. The weren't the only ones. And according to Sean Millington: In my opinion, the team was behind Danny Mac. You could just feel the team waiting for Danny to get in the game. There was a perceptible change in the dynamics. It's not a comment on Kent. I just felt Danny brought a different chemistry to the huddle.

One possible mistake is that Willes said with the score 34-21, McManus hit Darren Flutie with a 49-yard touchdown strike to cut the lead to six. But from what I recall, it was only a 5-yard TD strike in that particular play. And an obvious mistake was Willes misspelled receiver Matt Clark with Matt Clarke. There was indeed a Matt Clarke on the Lions roster as well, but he was the long snapper and not the receiver that Willes mentions a few times.

Chapter 5 is all about the 1994 Grey Cup - before, during, and after. And when I say after, Willes clearly mentions the two post-game fiasco incidents. First the fans storming the field and prevented the on-field Grey Cup presentation. And then the MVP and MVC award selection mistakes. Millington was still mad after 18 years later: They gave the truck to a defensive playe ron the losing team. How does that make sense? There's a reason you lost. Figure it out. In my opinion, Baltimore made a big stink adn they changed the vote to pacify them. But I sure hope that winning the 2000 MVC softened his anger and sadness.....somewhat.

Chapter 6 mentions the difficulties and eventual foldings of all the American teams in 1995. An excellent example involved Matt Dunigan and the Birmingham Barracudas with whom he signed a 3-year deal for a total $2.9 million. Dunigan received $1.2 million, but the team owner was refused to pay the remaining about because he lost $9 million. Dunigan eventually had to take the owner to court in order to receive his remaining $1.7 million. The remaining chapter mentions the 1995 Grey Cup but it only mentions it in a few paragraphs and it's only about 10% in detail compared to what he wrote about the 1994 Grey Cup.

The final chapter 7 summarizes the difficulties that all the CFL owners including Bill Comrie: Sixteen months after the team's stirring '94 Grey up victory, BIll Comrie let it be known he wanted out as the Lions' owner. Comrie, and Edmontonian, had bought the Leos out of a sense of duty in 1992 and never intended to be the team's permanent caretaker. He's also lost an estimated $7.5 million over his three years in Vancouver and wanted to turn it over to a local concern. The rest of the chapter mentions the changes the Lions made in the late 1990's, as well as the difficulties in Montreal and the 1996 Grey Cup.

There are two sets of photographs attached in the book. And as the old saying goes, a picture speaks a thousand words and Willes' bias for the Lions is clearly demonstrated. The first section is fairly divided in that it shows players from various teams. But despite a book about American expansion, there's only one example of such an American team with a picture of Mike Pringle in a Stallions in the 1995 GC. There's also a smaller picture of two players from Sacramento Surge of World League in 1992, but not part of the America-based CFL teams. But the second set of pictures of ALL about the BC Lions and all but one of the pictures is about the 1994 Grey Cup game and celebration. These second set of pictures all but seals the deal on how Willes is writing the book entirely biased as a BC Lions fan.

Final verdict: 3.5 stars out of 5. This is a great book for Lions fans especially those who want to re-live the 1994 season and there's decent, informative information the things he did write. But his book is not representative for a fair, unbiased view for all the teams in the CFL league at the time because as indicated, 70% is only about the BC Lions and the remaining involves just some more detailed information about Toronto and Calgary. And there's actually little mention about some of the American-based teams especially especially the Sacramento Gold-Miners who were the first in 1993 and they beat the Lions on both meetings.
Last edited by Robbie on Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

It sounds worth a read and by all accounts that team was all that Ed Willes says it was based on all I've heard.

Austin as a player wasn't the guy who was most personally accountable versus what other guys did and his personality in contrast to Danny Mac is considerable - yet they have had a good Ticat working relationship.

That '94 WDF is some of the greatest football footage ever in my view including the play by play by Chris Cuthbert and former Esk great LB Dan Kepley where Cuthbert asks for a play call from Kepley on the final toss to Darren Flutie for the winner.

That 8 min video had the Ray Alexander blocked FG, Doug Flutie smartly batting it forward out of bounds - but not for a first down so Lions get it back. HC Dave Ritchie screaming at his assistant Jody (?) and the win.

The 94 GC win was made harder as big Lu missed his first shot at the winning FG.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:17 am
Austin as a player wasn't the guy who was most personally accountable versus what other guys did and his personality in contrast to Danny Mac is considerable - yet they have had a good Ticat working relationship.
Perhaps since Austin already established himself as a proven great QB with his 1989 GC win and his 5000+, he had an arrogance issue. Whereas McManus was always the backup including in 1994 and as such, he had earn his teammates respect.
Toppy Vann wrote:
That 8 min video had the Ray Alexander blocked FG, Doug Flutie smartly batting it forward out of bounds - but not for a first down so Lions get it back. HC Dave Ritchie screaming at his assistant Jody (?) and the win.
Do you know exactly why Dave Ritchie was screaming? From my impression, it was nothing but screaming out of anger. Exactly what was the anger? Was it at the officials on that Doug Flutie's actions were illega?
Toppy Vann wrote:
The 94 GC win was made harder as big Lu missed his first shot at the winning FG.
It was a blessing in disguise as had he did score the field goal, Baltimore still had a fair amount of time to get a game-tying FG or even a game-winning TD. Or suppose, Lui's second attempt with no time off the clock also missed but this time, it sailed out of the end zone or the returner couldn't take it out of the end zone, giving the Lions a 1-point rouge win. That would feel unusual - you miss but still win.
祝你龍年行大運。
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Check the video of the 94 WDF as it's right at the start.

BC Sports Hall of Fame:
"On to McMahon Stadium for the Western Final against the mighty Stampeders. By halftime, the offensive shootout was in full flight, Calgary leading 24-20 with Lions’ TDs by Millington and Darren Flutie.

Behind 34-21, on came Danny McManus and down came the snow. A Flutie touchdown and a Passaglia field goal cut the lead to 36-31.

With 1:34 remaining and Calgary threatening, magic again intervened, the Lions’ Ray Alexander blocking a Stamps’ field goal with a remarkable one-armed leap.

McManus then engineered a drive for the ages punctuated by a last-second TD strike to—who else?—Flutie, capping an unforgettable 37-36 win in one of the most dramatic playoff finishes in CFL history."
Jody Allen was going nuts and Ritchie and others were trying to settle him down. I think Jody Allen was thinking that the batting of the ball forward so that Stamps would get a 1st down from it - they didn't- was his thinking in the heat of that moment.

It wasn't Ritchie who lost it but Allen methinks.

http://www.bcsportshalloffame.com/induc ... &type=team
Team Members:

Ray Alexander, Jody Allen (special teams coach), Michael Allen, Zock Allen,

Sean Bevan (assistant trainer), Less Browne, Giulio Caravatta, Tyrone Chatman, Dave Chaytors, Denny Chronopoulos, Matt Clarke, Peter Classen (president), Tony Collier, Bill Comrie (owner), Mike Crumb,

Dave Easley (linebacker coach), Tommy Europe, Darren Flutie, Brian Forde, Sean Foudy, Todd Furdyk, Gene Gaines (defensive back coach), Charles Gordon, Michael Gray (defensive line coach), Brian Hamilton (assistant equipment manager), Ryan Hanson, Doug Hocking, Gary Hoffman (offensive line coach), Enis Jackson, James Jefferson,

Kato Kasuya (equipment manager), Cory Mantyka, Spencer McLennan, Danny McManus, Sean Millington, Yo Murphy, Henry Newby, Creighton O’Malley (equipment manager), Lui Passaglia, John Payne (offensive coordinator), Doug Peterson, Cory Philpot,

Bill Quinter (director of player personnel), Bill Reichelt (head trainer), Dave Ritchie (head coach), Virgil Robertson, Glen Scrivener, Kelly Sims, Ian Sinclair, Rob Smith, Angelo Snipes, Vic Stevenson, Andrew Stewart, Jamie Taras,

Eric Tillman (general manager), Mike Trevathan, Kent Warnock, Ricardo Washington, Barry Wilburn, Donovan Wright

Written and researched by Jason Beck, Curator of the BC Sports Hall of Fame.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:41 pm
Team Members:

Sean Bevan (assistant trainer), Less Browne, Giulio Caravatta, Tyrone Chatman, Dave Chaytors, Denny Chronopoulos, Matt Clarke, Peter Classen (president), Tony Collier, Bill Comrie (owner), Mike Crumb,

Dave Easley (linebacker coach), Tommy Europe, Darren Flutie, Brian Forde, Sean Foudy, Todd Furdyk, Gene Gaines (defensive back coach), Charles Gordon, Michael Gray (defensive line coach), Brian Hamilton (assistant equipment manager), Ryan Hanson, Doug Hocking, Gary Hoffman (offensive line coach), Enis Jackson, James Jefferson,

Kato Kasuya (equipment manager), Cory Mantyka, Spencer McLennan, Danny McManus, Sean Millington, Yo Murphy, Henry Newby, Creighton O’Malley (equipment manager), Lui Passaglia, John Payne (offensive coordinator), Doug Peterson, Cory Philpot,

Bill Quinter (director of player personnel), Bill Reichelt (head trainer), Dave Ritchie (head coach), Virgil Robertson, Glen Scrivener, Kelly Sims, Ian Sinclair, Rob Smith, Angelo Snipes, Vic Stevenson, Andrew Stewart, Jamie Taras,

Eric Tillman (general manager), Mike Trevathan, Kent Warnock, Ricardo Washington, Barry Wilburn, Donovan Wright

Very inaccurate by Jason Beck.

What about the starting QB, Kent Austin?
What about the starting slotback, Matt Clark (with no 'e' to distinguish him from the long snapper)?
祝你龍年行大運。
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:12 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:41 pm
Team Members:

Very inaccurate by Jason Beck.

What about the starting QB, Kent Austin?
What about the starting slotback, Matt Clark (with no 'e' to distinguish him from the long snapper)?
I checked to see if I missed his name in the copy and paste but didn't. I had thought that the number of names looks a bit light in the way it's put together.

In Beck's story he mentions (not names) two star QBs.
Two seasons removed from a desultory 3-15 campaign, general manager Eric Tillman and coach Dave Ritchie assembled a galaxy of star players—two starting quarterbacks, perhaps the best CFL defensive secondary ever assembled, a high octane offense, strong O and D lines. There was one problem: the ’94 Lions were riddled with inner turmoil. At one point it took a towel-less Lui Passaglia sprinting from the shower to break up a potential locker room brawl.