Sonny Homer Passes

Info and tributes to former Lions who have past away

Moderator: Team Captains

OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

Sad news on the Lions front with the sudden passing of gritty homegrown receiver Sonny Homer, who played from 1958-68. Sonny died of an apparent heart attack Wednesday night at his North Vancouver home.

All the best to his family.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
David
Team Captain

My sincere condolences to his family. Mr. Homer was before my time, but a great Lion.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

I am shocked. My grandmother runs into him all the time in North Van. Always seemed to be in great shape. The last time I saw him was at my grandfathers funeral 3 years ago. He looked no older then 50.

My condolences to the rest of his family.
I have my head up my butt - 120db
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

We will always remember Sonny, forever a Lion great.
Rammer
Team Captain

Always sad to see a former LIon member pass away, I also submit my condolences to his family.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Don Miller
Legend

:sigh: Sonny was a damn good ballplayer. I am glad I had the chance to see him play with Joe and Willie at old empire stadium. Not a very big guy, but had good hands and wasn't afraid to go across the middle of the field. He played with one kidney as I recall. Forever a BC Lion!
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
TheZeppo
Starter

Don Miller wrote::sigh: Sonny was a damn good ballplayer. I am glad I had the chance to see him play with Joe and Willie at old empire stadium. Not a very big guy, but had good hands and wasn't afraid to go across the middle of the field. He played with one kidney as I recall. Forever a BC Lion!
You recall correctly. Sonny was a very solid receiver, and my
favorite Lion during the mid-Sixities. Sad news!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Had the honour of watching Sonny Homer at Empire Stadium. Outstanding receiver. Gutsy receiver playing with one kidney. I'm going to miss #21. Condolences to his family and friends.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

my heart is with his family tonight.
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Obit notice
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Lawrence "Sonny" Homer

HOMER _ Lawrence (Sonny), born July 8, 1936 in Trail, BC. Passed away February 22, 2006 in North Vancouver, BC. Predeceased by his father, Edward Homer and his sister, Marjorie Verrips and survived by his partner Silvia Duarte, his mother Mary Homer and his brother Donald Horner. Sonny was a member of the B.C. Lions Football Club from 1958-1968. A Funeral Mass will take place at Holy Trinity Church, 2725 Lonsdale Ave., North Vancouver on Thursday, March 2 at 11 am, with prayers taking place on Wednesday, March 1st at 6pm. Donations in Sonny's memory to the BC Heart and Stroke Foundation would be appreciated.
Wear orange or wear nothing
Willie_the_wisp
Rookie

I am very sorry to hear of Sonny Homer's passing. It's funny, just this afternoon I was watching a tape of that '64 Grey Cup game in which he played with the injured ribs and one kidney. That's real dedication. He will be greatly missed and my deepest condolences go out to his family.

Dick Fouts, By Bailey, Bill Munsey, Emery Barnes and now Sonny Homer from that '64 team are gone, but they will always live on in our memories.
A long time CFL fan
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Willie_the_wisp wrote:
Dick Fouts, By Bailey, Bill Munsey, Emery Barnes and now Sonny Homer from that '64 team are gone, but they will always live on in our memories.
Mike Martin too
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

There is a guest book for Sonny if anyone cares to say something there.

http://www.legacy.com/CAN-VANCOUVER/Gue ... d=16843709
I have my head up my butt - 120db
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Hi Just got back from the service and reception. Huge service with about 750 people. SRO. Many former players and scribes. Joe Kapp Fieldgate. Carphin, Wilson, General managers Cappozi, Ackles and Loo. Jim Robson Jim taylor and Greg Douglas,John MeCeachie, A very nice Catholic service followed by the reception at Cheers restaurant. Jim Carphin gave the eulogy. Some very funny moments. Joe Kapp was holding court at the reception. Saw Tom Brown and Gerald Roper. It was a whose who of B.C. Lions from the good ole days. The 64 team is getting their long over due GC rings this summer. They had lots of Sonny Homer pics and momentos. He was a very well like man. Anyways a very humbling experience. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing