Passing of a Lion legend from some of the darker years - Greg Findlay

Info and tributes to former Lions who have past away

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I stumbled across this a few minutes ago while Googling for the CFLPA.

Former Lion and one of their better players from the 1960s and early 1970s Greg Findlay passed away on May 11th in Langley. Findlay was a Lion from 1962 thru 1973. One of the things I remember about Findlay was that in the latter part of his career he wasn't overly fond of going through was the grind of training camp. Calling it a grind is likely an understatement as it often consisted of fully padded two-a-day sessions. Findlay would regularly retire at the start of training camp and unretire as the new season approached.

You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Greg Findlay was a mainstay of the B.C. defence when I started following the team in 1963. He still ranks among the team leaders in number of games played (176).

He would be shocked at the laid-back atmosphere of training camp today, where contact sessions are strictly limited and two-a-days consist mostly of walk-through instructional sessions and one-on-ones.

Fun fact: Although he played several positions, Findlay is best known during his career from 1962 to 1973 as an outside linebacker, where he was part of a succession of Vancouver College alums, including Paul Giroday (1975-1979), Kevin Konar (1980-89) and present-day Lion Adam Konar, Kevin's son.
David
Team Captain

I recall Greg's son Brooks also played for the Leos back in 1997.

I would classify Greg as an "under-rated" Lion. RIP.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
zeppo
Starter

When I was growing up my two favourite Lions were Jim Young and Greg Findlay. I will always remember Findlay as a
supremely tough , nasty individual who would make running backs pay if they tried his side of the field.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I remember watching Mack Herron making a cut in the backfield and he was just about to hit the hole when he was clotheslined by Greg Findlay. Herron had to be helped onto his feet after the hit. His eyes was glassy from the hit.