RIP Gary Robinson

Info and tributes to former Lions who have past away

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

A friend emailed me this from something she just saw on Facebook's 'Growing up in South Burnaby' forum.

My brother Gary Robinson who graduated from Burnaby South in 1964 passed away late last night. Gary played for the BC lions for 9 seasons as a defensive tackle and two seasons with the Hamilton Tigercats as well as four years at Simon Fraser. He taught most of his life quitting at age 69 (grade 12 calculus). Gary died from CTE - concussions he received during his lengthy career.

As some of you may know, I just posted about Gary in "Throwback Thursday" and commented that I never hear of him. Another victim of CTE. So sad. RIP.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Very sad news - including the CTE part. In some ways, I'm a bit surprised that def players like Gary and Rick Klassen suffered CTE as I'd have thought it'd be more problematic for RBs and DBs etc than linemen.

https://www.cflaa.ca/in-memory/ - A CFL memorial site
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Ballistic Bob
Legend

I met Gary at his brother Grant's place in Coquitlam at Xmas circa 1978. He picked me up and benched pressed me through an open door thank god. A gentle giant if their ever was one. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Condolences to family and friends.

RIP
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
David
Team Captain

Robinson in this 1973 pic at Empire tackling quarterback Mike Rae of the Argos and his 1971 player photo taken out at UBC during training camp. He played 135 games in orange and black over 10 seasons (1969 - 1978), playing defensive tackle and defensive end.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar