Columnist Jim Taylor passes

Info and tributes to former Lions who have past away

Moderator: Team Captains

D
Team Captain

As a youngster I looked forward to reading his columns everyday, there have been many great media members over the years but in my mind none better than Jim Taylor.

https://theprovince.com/news/local-news ... r-has-died
I own The Grey Cup! .com
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Taylor was an icon in sports journalism. Exceptionally witty. Always looked forward to reading his column. He will be missed.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Very sad news. To paraphrase that often over used line of Shakespeare that 'we shall not see his like again' is true of Jim Taylor. The era of the columnists of his stature in the major newspapers who could write on pretty much everything and make it brilliant seem done as newspapers consolidate and they buy these folks out and we live in an era of specialization of analysts.

Jim Taylor knew everyone and pretty much something about every sport as well as being renowned as a story teller and book author!

Jim Kearney was not dissimilar and a few other names escape me.

I used to love the post Lions radio shows where these newspaper columnists were talking with the likes of Bill Good Sr as in those days deadlines weren't instant and columnists I assume had more time to file.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

As with others on here, I used to read his column regularly. I particularly liked his inside views on Eagle Keys, diving into the mind of the man from Turkey Neck Bend, Kentucky.

Bald head. Gapped teeth. Big smile. Good natured. He could brighten your day just looking at him.

Turn of phrase. Human insight. Humour. Great stories. All present. Oh yeah, and some sports reporting also. :thup:

RIP Jim Taylor.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Like many here, I grew up reading Taylor's column every day. He was a gifted writer who could bring any topic to life, and bring a smile to his readers' faces. His own ever-present smile also made him approachable to anyone who wanted to chat.

When he left The Province in 1995 to join the upstart Sports Only weekly magazine, it was seen as a major threat to the local sports market. The Province responded by boosting the space and staffing of its sports section and launching the Go Big advertising campaign, cementing the paper's dominance for the next two decades and squeezing out Sports Only after just one year of publication.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I echo the other sentiments. Taylor was by far my favourite. There was never a close second. I just loved the wit he injected in every column. For those who haven't indulged his book "Honey Give Me Rewrite" is well worth the read. As I read it I imagined Jim's voice as though he was reading it to me.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Here is a fun fact about Jim Taylor, few of you may know. Long time ago, my father I think it was, told me he began his career as a music critic, until he reviewed Elvis Presley. Jim said Elvis could not sing and would not last 6 months. After missing the boat on Elvis, Jim was moved into sports.

Jim was one of the best sports writers with a great sense of humour that I will always remember.

RIP Jim Taylor.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Here's the link to the Times Colonist obit article. My glass is raised high--thankful for the hours of quality wit and writing through the decades. Here's to Jim Taylor. https://www.timescolonist.com/news/loca ... 1.23583104
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ed Willes, who was lured from Winnipeg to replace Jim Taylor as The Province's featured sports columnist 20 years ago, pens a nice tribute to the sportswriting legend:

Ed Willes: Taylor's gift to this province was laughter, and we can use more of that
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Yep, another sure sign of growing older. You recognize more and more people who are no longer with us.

A great and gifted writer.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
David
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:58 am
Jim Taylor knew everyone and pretty much something about every sport as well as being renowned as a story teller and book author!
True. He could write about every sport but it doesn't mean he liked every sport. Jim was a passionate Canadian football enthusiast though, through and through. And while he wasn't in the public spotlight much these past number of years, make no mistake, the CFL community has lost one of its most influential advocates. :sigh:
Ed Willes wrote:Ullrich, who had the unenviable task of trying to supervise Taylor’s subject matter, said the star columnist detested baseball and barely tolerated the Vancouver Canucks and hockey, but the CFL and all its quirky glory was his passion.
Source: Postmedia 1/8/19.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
squishy35
Legend

As a teenager in the 80's, I used to buy the Province just for Jim Taylor's column to see his reviews of Lions' games. He was a very gifted writer with a very unique and appreciated sense of humor.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

A brilliant writer who could find humour in anything.

To me at least, among the most influential people in the club's history.
One of this country's greatest journalists whose No. 1 passion by a significant margin was the Lions and the CFL. Just how many potential fans did he generate interest in the Lions over the years simply because of readers drawn to his wonderful columns and stories?

Can't even think of how many times listening to him with Al Davidson or Bill Good Sr. on the Lions halftime and post-game shows on CKNW, growing up.

RIP to an icon.
BC 1988
Legend

Since coming to BC 31 years ago, I've mostly heard about him after the fact. I did get the chance to read some of his print media output that was included in Thrown to the Lions.
I agree--he was brilliant, and it really helped fill in the gap for me about the Lions early years.
David
Team Captain

One of the stories floated on TSN1040 yesterday was about the Canucks booster club back in the 70s who were giving it to Jim because of perceived negativity. In those days, the booster club would hang signs around the Pacific Coliseum.

One of those signs read, "A Baby Girl For 0'Flahrety" (in reference to a rather ordinary right winger on the Canucks by the name of Gerry O'Flaherty, whose wife had just given birth).

Jim glanced up the banner and quipped, "now that's a trade I'd make!"

:rotf: :rotf:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar