Ken Phillips

Info and tributes to former Lions who have past away

Moderator: Team Captains

Riverrat5
prospect

Hello everyone. I was wondering if someone could advise on how Ken Porky Phillips passed away. When I was a kid he was my favorite kicker! I recently heard he had passed away from some time ago but nowhere does it say how he died.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Riverrat5 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:45 pm
Hello everyone. I was wondering if someone could advise on how Ken Porky Phillips passed away. When I was a kid he was my favorite kicker! I recently heard he had passed away from some time ago but nowhere does it say how he died.
I believe it was cancer
Riverrat5
prospect

Thanks for the reply. May he RIP.
David
Team Captain

Riverrat5 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:16 pm
Thanks for the reply. May he RIP.
Yes, I can confirm what TheLionKing wrote. Ken Phillips (aka, "Porky Punter" and "DuMaurier") died after a short battle with lung cancer in 1974, just 10 days shy of his 26th birthday. Apparently, he was a real character and loved by all. He was known during his playing days to sit on the end of the bench smoking cigarettes!

I recall watching #22's sky-high booming punts in warm-ups out at old Empire. Ken was a standout with the Meralomas program, where he played football and soccer. He made the Lions in 1969 and was the West's punter in two All-Star games. His punting average in 1970 was 44.6 yards per punt, which was exceptional back then (don't quote me on this but I think the ball weighed slightly more).

Ken's last game with the Lions was in 1972. I am not sure if he got sick or what, but he only punted 6 times that season for a 35.8-yard average, his longest only being 43 yards.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar