RIP: Bob Ackles dead of heart attack

Info and tributes to former Lions who have past away

Moderator: Team Captains

sports & stuff----ric
Champion

sad , sad ,day. Heard the news playing ball tourny this afternoon. Couldnt believe it. I wish kay and family all the best . Bobby was great when he came to the store last year as everyone who talked to him would agree! He was even nice enough to stop in the store about 3 weeks ago to see how we were as he was in chilliwack. dont know what to say other than
RIP Mr Ackles, you were a great man!!
mightybuck
Legend

Those of us from Crescent City join all of you in the loss of Bob Ackles. His family will be in our thoughts and prayers. Very sad day for his wife, children and grandchildren, the Lions and the CFL
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out
firstdown45

what should we expect Neil McRae to say about this tommorow morning at 8:15 ?
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

J5V wrote:Can somebody do a quick edit of the lion on the BC Lions' logo and put a tear under the lions' eye ?

That pretty much sums it ups.
J5V

Thank you Solar Max.

It's an almost impossible thing to balance working hard at a career and having a family life. Bobby looks to have mastered both.

Bobby is proof that the world still has role models.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Funny how the emotions play out at a time like this, because of how important Bob was to the game that we all care about so very much.

I am deeply saddened, of course, but I feel cheated as a fan, because he was taken from us before his time. Almost an anger at having lost someone so important in all of our lives, and at the same time, horrendous grief.
Bosco
Team Captain

Bob Ackles and my son, Craig.

Lionheart
Hall of Famer

I too am in this "holy *poop*" can't believe it state. Man It's just so weird you would never think it. Nothing more I can add that hasn't been said already.

Thanks for everything.
strait8
Starter

Bobby Ackles defined class everywhere he went. His greatest legacy will be the fact he saved football here in BC. Today we heard from the CFL, tomorrow we will hear from his friends in the NFL. People like Jimmy Johnson, for whom he helped build a team, he left his mark everywhere. He was a true living legend.

I hope that the current roster of the Lions take it on themselves, to dedicate themselves to making Bobby Ackles very proud of them. They now have a wake-up call and a mission. I doubt that Wally will let them forget they let Bobby go, seeing them lose two games in a row.

Can you dream yes, Can you make your dreams come true? Sure just ask the waterboy. Super Bowl Rings, Grey Cup rings, and respect throuhout Canada and the USA.

Thanks for coming home Bobby. I for one will always remember what you did for BC Football, and the CFL.
Last edited by strait8 on Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Willie Fleming is the Best Lion ever!!
lucky leo
Rookie

Bobby ACKLES was a great football man this is sad news. I was at the lions game on friday and he was doing an interview with CBC. Bobby shook my hand and we talked about football. I am in shock....Well forever miss ya...
Mully
prospect

As someone who knew Bobby for the best part of forty years to say I am saddened and shocked by his sudden passing would be a gross understatement.

Most CFL fans are familar with Bobby's accomplishments and successes with the CFL and NFL but few may know of his amazing work in support of amateur football and the community at large.

When I first met Bobby he was the amateur football coordinator for the Lions and was instrumental in starting the BC Lions Development Camp which has since become the Senior Bowl.

His energy and commitment to amateur football never waned over the years and about threee or four years ago he created the Orange Helmet Awards and dinner to honor the accomplishments of amateur football players and coaches from all levels of amateur football. Co-incidently, all the funds raised from the dinner go directly to help fund amateur football programs.

Whenever Bobby was asked to help at an amateur football fund raiser he always made himself available. He really never forgot his roots as a kid growing up in Vancouver. He always gave back to his community.

I don't have the words to adequately eulogize Bobby.....I am sure there will be many more eloquent. Suffice it say that our heartfelt condolences and prayers go to Kay and the family.

Bobby, you were a very special guy and I and all your friends are going to miss you terribly.

Rest in Peace my friend.
Hutch85
All Star

Ian Mulgrew's column in the Sun is very poignant:

Ackles an inspiration 'in every way'

Column: Ackles an inspiration 'in every way'

Ian Mulgrew
Vancouver Sun

Sunday, July 06, 2008

His real name was Robin, like the bird. He hated it: "Call me Bob."

Bob Ackles, the Waterboy, is gone - the one person more than any other who embodied the spirit, the heart and the soul of the B.C. Lions.

Now, for the first time since the team was formed in 1954, Bob Ackles will not be cheering them on.

The lowest member of the football team; the kid who couldn't eat with the players after practice, so he went hungry; the man who helped build championship teams in Vancouver and Dallas; the man who returned after 15 years in the NFL to restore the glory to B.C. Place, my friend has left.

Suddenly, and without warning, Bob is dead. I am still in shock.

I came to know Bob personally only a few years ago but the impression he made on me was deep and profound.

Our pal Allan Fotheringham put us together because Bob wanted to write a book and Allan thought I was the guy to help him do it.

He was right - Bob and I hit it off.

Bob opened up his life to me and we became friends as well as collaborators. A book can be an incredible amount of work, but with Bob it was a joy.

The memories I have of the exuberant dinners, the belly laughs over photographs and memorabilia, the pain of last year's loss to Saskatchewan, the satisfaction of our book's success.

I have been replaying the moments, the good times and the bittersweet. It is difficult to believe we will share no more. It's over.

The moment I heard, I called Kay.

They met as teenagers, married and built a life together - their's was a true partnership.

She was shattered. We cried together over the phone line.

"I'm so happy he did the book Ian," she said between sobs.

I was in California and wanted nothing more than to throw my arms around her. She would be OK, their sons, Steve and Scott - real chips off the towering block that was their dad - were there.

Bob always said he was named Robin because of his insatiable appetite, like the bird, mouth opening and closing all the time.

It was apt: Not because of his hunger for food, but for life.

No one lived a life fuller or with more enthusiasm. And no one can claim to be as much of a stand-up guy.

I have yet to meet a single person who had a sour word to say about Bob. And I don't know anyone else I can say that about, especially me.

Bob cared. He cared about what people thought. He cared about doing the right thing. He cared about his family, about his neighbours, about his community.

In every way, he was an inspiration. We should all give back so freely and so gladly.

Bob leaves a large hole in my life and in the hearts of his family.

More than that, he leaves an emptiness on our public stage - he strove to make the world a better place and it is poorer without him.

His legacy is much more than a successful football franchise.

John Donne got it right when he said every death diminishes us, every passing erodes another piece of the main.

Already, I miss Bob immensely and I want to rage against the dying of his light.
Lion_Pride_26
Legend

This is from a Dallas Cowboys blog...

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archi ... -dies.html
chimpy

i am truley sorry for the ackles family, i am shocked for what has happend, i am not shure were to begin, i can not even think about football right know, but i know what bob ackles would want is, the next home game against winnipeg, lets get out and pack the place for him, weather win or lose that is what he wants. and of course the lions to win the grey cup this year.

he was such a gentalmen to all the fan's, builging our team to were it is, i know he would also want to keep this growing, and do not look back and maybe eventualy hitting the 30,000 season ticket base.

we will a;ways remember you Bob .
FirstDownLions
Rookie

Condolences to Kay & the entire Ackles clan during this difficult time.

I had the good fortune to meet Bobby a few times last season and he was always quick with a hand shake but even more so with a smile and a good story about days gone by.

Bobby you will be missed by Lions, CFL and NFL fans alike. You were a true gentleman & class act! :beauty: