1994 - Canada vs USA

Details and Discussions of Each Season of BC Lions Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

A brief summary.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

A good but at the same time disappointing picture of the Lions 1994 Grey Cup celebration. As sj-roc said, thanks to the 1994 Stanley Cup riot the presentation was done in the locker room.

Since another riot just happened this year, should the Lions manage to go all the way again this season, will the presentation be done in the locker room again?
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

A long and extensive but somewhat inaccurate article written in the Vancouver Courier last summer on the Lions 1994 Grey Cup playoff run and their induction to the B.C. Sports Hall of Fame.

http://www.vancourier.com/sports/Team+p ... story.html

As members of the 1994 Grey Cup champion B.C. Lions prepare for induction into the B.C. Sports Hall of Fame, players and coaches remember a remarkable playoff run capped by an overtime field goal for the ages

By Megan Stewart, Vancouver Courier August 20, 2010
The game did not go into overtime.
With one minute and two seconds remaining in the fourth quarter, he marched to the 39-yardline to kick the field goal and secure the 1994 Grey Cup over Baltimore, a team of American athletes menacing for top spot of the Canadian Football League in the first year of U.S. expansion.
The Lions second-to-last drive ended at Baltimore's 30-yard line for Passaglia's second-to-last field goal attempt at 37 yards.
The B.C. Lions head coach for three years in the 1990s also calls the 1994 season final the greatest Grey Cup ever played in the history of the CFL. Each playoff win, including the championship itself, came down to the final play of the game with no time left on the clock.

To reach the November final at B.C. Place, the Lions twice knocked off opponents after coming from behind, each time on the last play of the fourth quarter to win the contest by a single point.

The Lions had never won a playoff match-up in Edmonton. Against the Eskimos in the quarter-final, a late-minute interception and a 41-yard run by Charlie Gordon led to near-purrfect football by the Lions. An injured Kent Austin drove for 49-yards and Passaglia put home a 27-yard field goal to go ahead by one point and end Edmonton's season.
In the 1994 WDSF in Edmonton after Passaglia made a field goal to lead 24-23, Damon Allen and the Eskimos had more than enough time to get back to FG goal range of their own, but the Lions defence rose to the occasion and forced them to give the ball away on downs. The Lions kneeled to put the time away. It's good that the article mentioned and acknowledged the role of Kent Austin. :thup:
And the Lions certainly did win a playoff game against Edmonton before in the 1988 WDF.
With 12 seconds remaining, McManus wound up for the last play of the game. He found Darren Flutie, brother of the opposing quarterback Doug, between two Calgary defenders just inside the line. "He was supposed to be in the deep corner of the end zone," McManus said this week. "But I saw something, he saw something and we saw it at the same time."
While with 12 seconds remaining at scrimmage McManus completed a pass to Darren Flutie, it certainly wasn't the last play of the game. The last play started with 5 seconds left.

The rest of the article is good, although it could have mentioned: 1) The reasons why Ritchie opted for Austin to start the game for the Lions, 2) the locker room GC presentation, and the 3) Grey Cup MVP fiasco.
祝你龍年行大運。
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Western div final - GM E. Tillman, HC Dave Ritchie vs. Wally's Stampeders in the snow and ice.

Former Sask HC and experienced asso't John Payne was OC and that offense down near the goal line showed how to spread out a defense.

Darren Flutie had before his final two catches I think something like 9 catches and 137 yards. On that last drive to win passes went to Matt Clark (NI), Yo Murphy, Flutie (3 x's including the winning TD). Ray Alexander dropped one and was out of bounds in the end zone. Fantastic stuff - even hear the coaches yelling.

The assistants were Michael Gray and Jody Allen (ST).

This for any football league or team that has a snow game is some of the most exciting and best played offense you will ever see.

With Wally winning 36 - 31 why on frigging earth did Wally go for a FG that the Lions blocked? I couldn't believe my eyes when they went for a FG.

Just punt the frigging thing. The cagey Dave Ritchie put rec. Ray Alexander in there to block the kick - he did.

I love the play call from Dan Kepley colour guy at the end where he could teach Chap something. I still feel like yelling NO to the QB draw "if worse comes to worse" as I believed then Danny was too slow to make it.

It was 2 years in a row that Ritchie's Lions did it to Wally in Calgary in the WDF. Good coaching.

When the brothers embrace apparently Doug Flutie asked Darren if it was him that caught the ball. Yes. And Doug said ' you a......" although deep down even then he was proud of him.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

what a memory. I was working in Fort Nelson on a survey crew. we bugged out early. I watched the game in my room and ended up with my face about 2 feet from the screen - in disbelief. Calgary was so powerful. for me - the 2nd GC in my 25 years of rooting. if the Lions last 100 years they will say this was their finest hour.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:With Wally winning 36 - 31 why on frigging earth did Wally go for a FG that the Lions blocked? I couldn't believe my eyes when they went for a FG.
I guess it's because Wally wanted to give their Stampeders a eight point lead if the FG was successful, forcing the Lions to make them a two-scoring play to tie the game. With an eight point lead, even if the Lions managed to get a TD they still had to complete a 2-point conversion, and that would only tie the game. So I'd say that did make sense at the time.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

This is the article from the Baltimore Sun on the day after the 1994 Grey Cup. The article mentions Alexander's controversial catch and goes into detail about the MVP selection.

Although he probably didn't lose too much sleep over the MVP selection given the fact that it was certainly secondary compared to kicking the Grey Cup for the Lions, I can still empathize for Lui Passaglia if he still felt some sadness and disappointment to have the keys to the truck given to him, but then to have to give it back. :bang: After all, he's only human. And unlike the million+ dollar salaries from athletes from other professional leagues who can easily buy a new truck, I wouldn't Passaglia is a man who can easily buy a new truck just like that. I remember afterwards his teammates gave him a toy truck.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1994-1 ... -alexander
Catch no controversy for B.C.'s Alexander
November 28, 1994|By Roch Eric Kubatko and Ken Murray | Roch Eric Kubatko and Ken Murray,Sun Staff Writers

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Replays were inconclusive, but B.C. Lions receiver Ray Alexander didn't need a second look.

Alexander insisted that he held on to a 34-yard pass from Danny McManus with 1:36 left in last night's Grey Cup, even though the ball popped free as he and Baltimore CFLs cornerback Irvin Smith hit the turf at B.C. Place.

The controversial play didn't lead directly to a score -- kicker Lui Passaglia missed wide right from 37 yards -- but when Charles Anthony was tackled at the Baltimore 2 on his return, B.C. was in business.

Two plays later, Baltimore had to punt. The Lions took over on the CFLs' 34, and after two short runs, Passaglia won the game with a 38-yard kick.

Baltimore players argued that the pass to Alexander, who took advantage of his 6-foot-4, 200-pound frame, should have been ruled incomplete, but he disagreed.

"We both had our hands on it when we went down," he said. "He had one hand in there, I got two on it. I had it when I went down and hit the ground."

Alexander, a 10-year pro out of Florida A&M, had a game-high five catches for 119 yards.

MVP confusion

In a confusing awards announcement, Passaglia was named Most Valuable Player on post-game television by the Canadian Broadcasting Corp., but the Football Reporters of Canada checked the ballots and concluded that Baltimore's Karl Anthony had won. Passaglia was voted the game's top Canadian.

League officials said Anthony won even though Passaglia was presented with the keys to a truck on television.

"All I know is that without Lui, we've got nothing," B.C. coach Dave Ritchie said.

On the defensive

After the Lions' 48-31 loss to Baltimore last month, Ritchie said the Lions could beat the CFLs "as long as they have 3 and 33," referring to cornerback Karl Anthony and halfback Ken Watson.

Each of the Baltimore defensive backs had a first-half interception yesterday, but the CFLs lost anyway.

Redskins connection

The CFLs' Alvin Walton and B.C.'s Barry Wilburn were teammates when the Washington Redskins won the Super Bowl in 1988. Yesterday, Walton outdid his friend, intercepting a pass and lateraling to Karl Anthony for a touchdown. Wilburn was called for pass interference in the end zone to keep alive a Baltimore scoring drive.

End of the line for 3 Lions

At least three Lions played their last game yesterday. Cornerback Less Browne, offensive tackle Rob Smith and safety Sean Foudy each announced his retirement this season.

Browne leaves as the CFL's all-time leader in interceptions with 87, 21 more than runner-up Larry Highbaugh. He had 11 this year.

Smith was voted the league's Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman in 1992 while with the Ottawa Rough Riders.

Foudy has been limited to 13 regular-season games in the past two years because of injuries, including seven shoulder dislocations.

Drummond in familiar role

Just a couple of months ago, Robert Drummond was out of a job. Yesterday, he reinforced his image as the CFLs' super sub, filling in at fullback for ailing Peter Tuipulotu.

Drummond was signed by Baltimore as a free agent on Sept. 4 and appeared in seven regular-season games, catching nine passes for 149 yards, including a 41-yard touchdown against B.C. on Oct. 22.

Yesterday wasn't the first time he has bailed out the CFLs. In the Eastern Division semifinal Nov. 12 against the Toronto Argonauts at Memorial Stadium, Drummond stepped in for injured tailback Mike Pringle and rushed for 111 yards and two touchdowns.

He was back at his more familiar, receiving-oriented position yesterday, though it was his first start there. He had two catches for 38 yards and carried once for 12 yards.

Et cetera

John Congemi and Jearld Baylis served as Baltimore's captains for the coin toss, which B.C. won. . . Neither team had a sack in the first half, but B.C.'s Henry Newby, Doug Petersen, Angelo Snipes and Andrew Stewart had one each in the second. So did Baltimore's O. J. Brigance. . . Much-maligned B.C. running back Cory Philpot ran for 109 yards, and backfield mate Sean Millington had 85. . . . Tickets that normally sold for $100 were going at half-price yesterday morning. . . . Jan Carinci, a Toronto native and a member of B.C.'s radio broadcast crew, is a former Maryland Terrapin who was a three-year starter for Jerry Claiborne. Carinci played wingback at Maryland from 1977 to 1980.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Another article about that incident. Aside from Lui I feel bad about Sean Millington having to give back his Top Canadian award. At least Millington managed to win it after the 2000 GC.
For One Football Player, Pickup Was Just A Mirage
December 09, 1994

Baltimore's Karl Anthony received an impressive parting gift for his efforts in a losing cause while playing the 82nd Grey Cup in Vancouver, British Columbia:

A pickup truck.

The B.C. Lions' Lui Passaglia's received an impressive parting gift for his efforts in a winning cause while playing the 82nd Grey Cup in Vancouver, British Columbia:

A pickup truck.

The only logistical setback: There was only one pickup truck.

Canadian writers, voting for the game's Most Outstanding Player with about two minutes left in the game, picked Anthony (who delivered two big plays in the first half).

After Passaglia's game-winning 38-yard field goal, the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. announced that Passaglia had won the Most Outstanding Player award, and with it, the Dodge Ram pickup. Passaglia even got the keys.

When the mistake was realized, he had to give them back.

Anthony was told by a league official last week that he would eventually get the truck. Passaglia didn't lose out, either. He was named the top Canadian in the game, and Chrysler has announced that it is going to give him a truck for a year.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Yet another article about the fiasco. It was very dumb and disgusting that they voted the game MVP before evaluating the entire game. What if the game went into overtime? It's sort of like if there are 10 divers in a tournament, and the results are decided after 8 divers without taking into consideration the final two competitors. A similar screwup occurred in the 2002 NHL All-Star Game when Eric Daze (2G, 1A) was awarded MVP when the voting was done 5 minutes before the third period, even though Markus Naslund (2G, 1A) should have won the award given the fact that he made some last minute heroics and scored the game winning goal.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1994-1 ... ckup-truck
Anthony remains in idle while awaiting his pickup
ON THE CFL

December 04, 1994|By KEN MURRAY

Karl Anthony lost a Grey Cup ring but gained a pickup truck last Sunday night.

At least he thinks he gained a pickup truck.

The veteran Baltimore cornerback was voted the Most Outstanding Player in the 82nd Grey Cup, a 26-23 loss to the B.C. Lions in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Anthony made two big plays in the first half -- a diving interception in the first quarter and a 36-yard touchdown run with a lateral after Alvin Walton's second-quarter pickoff.

The voting, by Canadian writers, was done with two minutes left BTC in the game -- before Lui Passaglia's game-winning 38-yard field goal.

In the chaotic aftermath, the Canadian Broadcasting Corp., which telecast the game, announced that Passaglia had won the Most Outstanding Player award, and with it, the Dodge Ram pickup. Somehow, Passaglia even got the keys.

Then, when the mistake was realized, he had to give them back.

Anthony was told in the locker room that he had won the award, but no presentation was ever made. Contrary to a popular rumor, he did not refuse the truck.

"If I was awarded the truck, I would not not accept it," he said. "That would be crazy. No one talked to me about it."

Until he talked with a league official Thursday, Anthony was still in the dark. But Paul Brule, the Canadian Football League's vice president for business development, told Anthony he would get the truck after all. Brule just didn't know when.

Passaglia was named the top Canadian in the game. According to Greg Fulton, another CFL executive, Chrysler is going to give Passaglia a truck for a year.
祝你龍年行大運。
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:With Wally winning 36 - 31 why on frigging earth did Wally go for a FG that the Lions blocked? I couldn't believe my eyes when they went for a FG.
I guess it's because Wally wanted to give their Stampeders a eight point lead if the FG was successful, forcing the Lions to make them a two-scoring play to tie the game. With an eight point lead, even if the Lions managed to get a TD they still had to complete a 2-point conversion, and that would only tie the game. So I'd say that did make sense at the time.

That was his logic. The reality was that under those conditions it was high risk to get it blocked as it was. That block gave the Lions the momentum and Calgary collapsed although the offense of the Lions the was brilliant.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Robbie
Hall of Famer

In light of the Lions in the GC game again, the Province decided to re-publish some old pictures from the 1994 GC game.
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/1994 ... story.html?

Here are a few pictures and I'll give my comments:

Two Baltimore cheerleaders can be seen in the background. It looks like they were accepting defeat.

I've said it so many times before about the locker room presentation so I'll mention something else about the picture instead. On the right, Kent Austin is being interviewed. I really wonder how he felt after the game. Perhaps not as ecstatic compared to the 1989 GC, but I'm sure he was glad to have won another championship before he would retire soon.

Celebration with more Baltimore cheerleaders in the background.

After the horrible 1992 season, Eric Tillman was brought in to fix the team in 1993 and led to a championship the year after.

Has anybody met Lui's family? Here they are.

The empty blue seats could clearly be seen. One can argue that with the Lions in game, then anything short of a sellout would have been totally unacceptable.

Another picture of Lui showing off his three GC rings. Again, where is his fourth ring he won after the 2006 GC?
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

With the Lions hosting the GC game again, several new articles about the 1994 GC have been published and this is one by Ed Willis mentions the two issues that I brought up countless times:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Wille ... story.html
Bedlam ensued. Security was lax - there's a surprise for Vancouver - and a trickle of fans turned into a torrent as the Lions celebrated on the field. A stage was brought out but was never used. Instead, the Grey Cup was presented inside the Lions' locker room.

Passaglia was announced as the game's outstanding player and awarded a Dodge truck. Millington was named the outstanding Canadian and given a trip to the Caribbean.

After the presentation, the CBC's Mark Lee asked the running back if this game proved Canadians can compete without quotas.

"I'm living proof of that right here," said Millington. "I'm playing. I'm Canadian. Vancouver-bred. I can compete. We can all compete."

Yet, somehow, the voting got screwed up on the outstanding player awards. Later, it was determined Baltimore's Anthony, interesting selection there, was the outstanding player and Passaglia who, aside from the late drama had a substandard kicking game, was named outstanding Canadian.

Whatever. This game had a slightly deeper meaning for those involved.

"We had all the characters," says Millington, who's still miffed by the awards snub. "It was like a gang of convicts. They all came from different backgrounds with different histories but for whatever reason, when we got on the field together, we played.
祝你龍年行大運。
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote: Image
Another picture of Lui showing off his three GC rings. Again, where is his fourth ring he won after the 2006 GC?
maybe they (the rings) hadnt been made yet?
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Grey Cup Team Poster

Grey Cup Plate

Grey Cup Ring

Ticket
http://cfl.uploads.mrx.ca/league/images ... 471050.jpg

Program Cover
祝你龍年行大運。
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Grey Cup Plate
This can't be right; Merv was cut fairly early in the season (wasn't even much of a factor while he was here that year). Not sure how his name would have ended up on the trophy. Also, IIRC Trevathan was injured and didn't appear in the GC game, which I understand is necessary to get your name on there.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.