1988 - Grey Cup lost

Details and Discussions of Each Season of BC Lions Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

The last CFL All-Star game in its near entirety just before the start of the 1988 regular season

All-Stars 15 at Edmonton 4

----------------------------

Highlights of the entire 1988 regular season, and a very detailed narrative summary of the 1988 Grey Cup.

----------------------------

Another media of the 1988 Grey Cup

If there's any consolation the Lions finally avenged the loss exactly 23 years later.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

According to this new 35-minute video, the top 15 greatest Grey Cup games which I'm sure lots will disagree.

Three of them involve the BC Lions - the 1988 loss and the 1994 and 2000 wins.

The 1994 GC ranks as #7 but I'm sure a typical Lions fan will say it belongs in the top 5.

The 2000 GC ranks as #10 but given the overall unpopularity of the team at that period of time I'd say Vancouver and even Lions fans would say that it doesn't rank in the top 15 and would opt for other non-Lions Grey Cup games as the top 15.

Finally for the 1988 GC win, I have a general hunch that even for hard-core Blue Bombers fans, they wouldn't even rank that game in the top 15 and would rather opt for the 1990, 1984, or even the 1962 Fog Bowl. It's said that offence is what is what brings tickets (fans) and with the possible exception of James Murphy, who else on the Blue Bombers offence would they consider extremely memorable as a legend? Certainly not the Bombers QB in that game, Sean Salisbury as he went only 12-32 and overall the Bombers offence was bad in the second half but fortunately for his team defence and special teams made up for the team and resulted in their win.

I'd say that the video shows more details than a typical highlights video for each game as it shows more than common scoring plays. After checking the video, it finally solves something for the record - just like how in another posting I explained how Jacques Chapdelaine shouldn't be a scapegoat int he 1983 Grey Cup because the Argonauts defender made an excellent play. Well, it's said that in the fatal play in the 1988 Grey Cup, David Williams was open and Matt Dunigan should have passed to him instead of attempting to throw into traffic to Jan Carinci. At 5:38 while the ball was tipped three times you can see David Williams #2 in the background and you can see one Winnipeg defender in his vicinity. So it's not correct to say that David Williams was completely wide open and as such, Dunigan had to use his judgment and there's no guarantee that the pass would be complete if he attempted to Williams instead. In the third quarter, Dunigan had attempted a longer pass to Williams which resulted in his first of his two interceptions (and 6 Lions turnovers in the second half) when Rod Hill pick off the pass.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

A new video in the underrated 1988 WDF in its entirety:
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

1988 WDSF - BC 42 at Saskatchewan 18
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

1988 Season Opening - Winnipeg 3 at BC 36

祝你龍年行大運。