Details and Discussions of Each Season of BC Lions Football

Moderator: Team Captains

D
Team Captain

Defending their championship proved even harder than winning it the year before, as the Lions battled the Eskimos, Bombers, the injury bug and the newly extended 18 game regular season. The Lions reached the halfway mark at 7-2 losing at Edmonton and at home to Calgary, then ran their record to 9-2 before hitting a four game losing streak, started by back to back losses to Edmonton. In danger of finishing fourth in the tough West, the club rebounded to win back to back games from Winnipeg to end the season 12-6 and finish second. Under the new playoff format, the Lions met the Bombers for a third straight week, winning the semi-final and then travelling to Edmonton for their first Western Final game on the road in four years. Playing without Konar and Jackson, the Lions lost their fourth game of the year to the Eskimos, ending their hopes of defending their title in front of a home crowd at B.C.Place. Off the field, the big news and shocker of the year was the departure of GM Bob Ackles to the Dallas Cowboys, ending his 33 year association with the Club. He left in July, and was replaced by former Montreal GM Joe Galat in August.

West Division Team GP W L T PF PA Pts
Edmonton Eskimos 18 13 4 1 540 365 27
British Columbia Lions 18 12 6 0 441 410 24
Winnipeg Blue Bombers 18 11 7 0 545 387 22
Calgary Stampeders 18 11 7 0 484 380 22
Saskatchewan Roughriders 18 6 11 1 382 517 13

East Division Team GP W L T PF PA Pts
Toronto Argonauts 18 10 8 0 417 441 20
Hamilton Tiger-Cats 18 9 8 1 405 366 19
Montreal Alouettes 18 4 14 0 320 500 8
Ottawa Rough Riders 18 3 14 1 346 514 7

Semi-Finals - B.C. 21 - Winnipeg 14
Finals - Edmonton 41 - BC 5

Finals - Game 1 - Toronto 31 - Hamilton 17
Finals - Game 2 - Hamilton 42 - Toronto 25
(Hamilton won 2 game total-points series 59-56)

Grey Cup - Hamilton 39 - Edmonton 15
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Honour Dewalt
Champion

This Western Final loss is one of my furthest back memories of the Lions as a kid. While I do have memories further back, none stand out as much as when they lost 41-5 to Edmonton. I was in tears crying frantically. I couldn't handle the look on Dewalt's face as he broke from the huddle. He looked like he had no answer and they were hopeless. I guess this was when I knew I was going to be a fan forever. Balling my eyes out in my room after the game, and my parents who were out during the game, had to cheer me upwhen they got home. I'll never forget that score.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Honour Dewalt wrote:This Western Final loss is one of my furthest back memories of the Lions as a kid. While I do have memories further back, none stand out as much as when they lost 41-5 to Edmonton. I was in tears crying frantically. I couldn't handle the look on Dewalt's face as he broke from the huddle. He looked like he had no answer and they were hopeless. I guess this was when I knew I was going to be a fan forever. Balling my eyes out in my room after the game, and my parents who were out during the game, had to cheer me upwhen they got home. I'll never forget that score.
Yeah, as sad as it was for the 1986 WDF, IMHO the 1987 WDF was even more heartbreaking. At least in the 1986, it was already accepted among most Lions that BC already lost all three regular seasons to settle for second place. And they had a hard task of trying to win in difficult Commonwealth Stadium. The 1986 was sad, but somewhat expected too. While in the 1987, the Lions regained the form two win both regular seasons to finish the top of the west. Unlike 1986, the 1987 WDF with their home crowd were expected to win and return back to the Grey Cup game.
Last edited by Robbie on Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Interviews by two men, one you all love and one you all despise. Bob Ackles explains his departure to the Dallas Cowboys, and Joe Galat explains taking over his role.
Last edited by Robbie on Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Defending their 1985 GC championship, the Lions managed to handle the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, starting with a win in the season opener when Jan Carinci immediately made an impact to the Lions by recovering a fumble for a TD. But the Lions always had trouble with the Eskimos in that season and lost their lead in the west division. The home game on September 19, 1986 might be the last sold-out regular season home game for the Lions and the audience was not pleased with the horrific 32-3 loss. In the play in which James Bell was paralyzed after colliding with Jan Carinci and a teammate, I kept wondering who that teammate was. Now I know it was all-star safety Laurent DesLauriers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Robbie on Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

In the last time the Lions hosted a division semi-final in 1986, it was a duel with Winnipeg. After taking a 21-0 lead after 3 quarters, the Lions had to make a goal-line stand. Unfortunately reality set in a week later as the Lions were demolished 41-5 in the WDF.

On that Saturday afternoon playoff game, the attendance was rather pitiful at 40,381.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Despite the fact that the Lions were defending their championship and fact that the 1986 season had the highest average attendance in Lions' franchise history at 46,526 and the highest single regular season game at 59,478 on September 19, 1986 (32-3 loss to Edmonton), this season is one of the more less-remembered ones. :juggle:

Montreal 20 at BC 27

BC 36 at Hamilton 21

Saskatchewan 24 at BC 39

BC 25 at Ottawa 19

Ottawa 10 at BC 40

BC 34 at Toronto 24

After this win, the Lions suffered a four game loss that dropped the Lions from first in the west to third.

Winnipeg 24 at BC 36

Two final regular season wins over Winnipeg salvaged second place for the Lions.

WDSF - Winnipeg 14 at BC 21 :thup:

The last time the Lions hosted the West Division Semi-Final. Despite the fact that it had a very exciting finish with the Lions hold the Blue Bombers to a goal line stance, this game is one of the less memorable ones.

WDF - BC 5 at Edmonton 41

The Lions had so many problems against the Eskimos that season, and unfortunately the WDF was no exception. :dizzy: :tp:
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

1986 BC Lions season opener in its entirety: 28-17 win over the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. You will notice that Mervyn Fernandez aside from his wide receiver position is also playing the punter as well :good: while Paul Osbaldiston is doing the field goal duties for the Lions as Lui Passaglia suffered a pre-season injury. Fernandez did an adequate job as the punter while Osbaldiston would actually join the Blue Bombers later on that season.

Excellent trick play by the Lions in the third video when Dewalt handed off a pass to Mervyn Fernandez in the own end zone who then threw a long pass to Ned Armour for a large gain. The Lions quickly added a TD after that. Wow, Mervyn Fernandez was very versatile in that game in that not only did he play receiver and punter, he also played the quarterback passer as well! :rockin:
Last edited by Robbie on Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
祝你龍年行大運。
Honour Dewalt
Champion

Thanks for posting these! Really have enjoyed watching. Looking at this team, maybe it's just because this was the first team I knew, but the roster looks so solid everywhere. And I just love the passing attack from Roy. That guy had such an awesome arm. Sure he threw to Merv a lot, but why wouldn't he? Very exciting offence. We could use some of that these days
Robbie
Hall of Famer

According to this video, the 2000 Grey Cup ranks as #5 in terms of Grey Cup game upsets. Despite being an upset win, it's still an unpopular win nevertheless.

I totally agree with the 1986 Grey Cup win as the #1 upset. Too bad the Lions defending their 1985 GC win, had such a hard time in all four games against the Eskimos, whereas the Hamilton Tiger-Cats with their 9-8-1 easily handled the 13-4-1 Eskimos with a convincing 39-15 win in BC Place.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:43 am
The home game on September 19, 1986 might be the last sold-out regular season home game for the Lions and the audience was not pleased with the horrific 32-3 loss. In the play in which James Bell was paralyzed after colliding with Jan Carinci and a teammate, I kept wondering who that teammate was. Now I know it was all-star safety Laurent DesLauriers.
This news video shows the actual play in question that James Bell to become paralyzed.
https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=740897
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

1986 WDSF in its entirety. Only the 2nd out of 3 times in franchise history that the Lions have hosted the west division semi-final. Finishing 2nd in the west is an extreme rarity for the Lions.

Winnipeg made many mistakes in that game with lots of turnovers. But BC made their share of mistakes as well by not capitalizing on their opportunities and bad penalties. The Lions squeaked out a win, but reality arrived a week later in Edmonton. You can see former Seahawk QB Jim Zorn playing QB for the Blue Bombers in a few plays.
祝你龍年行大運。