1985 Lions win second Grey Cup

Details and Discussions of Each Season of BC Lions Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

No Ordinary Joe wrote:Now that's a nice looking receiving corps.
Yes, very handsome indeed. :wink:
tedbear
Starter

Robbie wrote:Very interesting list, Derek!

I'm really interested in what the following other members of the 1985 team are up to:

Melvin Byrd
Nelson Martin
Jamie Buis
Darnell Clash
Freddie Sims
Keyvan Jenkins
Ron Robinson
Judy Lowrie (Miss BC Lion, 1985)
What about Mack Moore wasnt he a defensive tackle on that team?
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

D wrote:
John Blain, Ladysmith

Principal at Ladysmith Secondary -- the left tackle once found Sonny Homer's lost Grey Cup ring and believed it was an omen that the Lions would win in '85.
All these stories are compelling but of all the stories the most amazing is the one you posted above D.

What are the odds of this true story really happen to the '85 GC Champs, with an identical record to our last season's version?

I wonder if John Blain sees Al Wilson now and then, as Al's home town was Duncan?

Awesome! :yes:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
woody
Champion

My sister works with John Henry,he will be at tonights game because he asked my sister to cover for him tonight :lol:
almo89
Legend

Just heard from Pratt that Darnell Clash is dead? Anybody know about this and what happened? Also, does anybody know about the story about him being traded to TO and all that?
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

almo89 wrote:Just heard from Pratt that Darnell Clash is dead? Anybody know about this and what happened? Also, does anybody know about the story about him being traded to TO and all that?
I am curious too.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Clash was cut before the Grey Cup or WDF in 1983... there was a story about him being a recovering drug addict or homeless a couple of years back. I remember posting something about it at the time but my memory is a bit fuzzy at the moment. Pre-gaming, know what I mean?
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

wait a minute... I'm talking about Sammy Greene! :oops:

Damn rum! :beer:
bclion99

I seem to recall reading a story about Darnell Clash being stabbed to death or stabbing someone to death in or around Pittsburgh. Was a few years ago when I turned the page in USA Today and went, "Whoa!"
But I cannot recall if he was the assailant or victim.
I think he was the latter, though I cannot be sure.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It was great to see so many players, coaches and off-field staff and directors from the 1985 team in attendance, including Roy Dewalt and Ned Armour, as well as Don Matthews, Adam Rita and Ron Smeltzer.

Although not a member of the 1985 team, Joe Paopao also got a big ovation for his wall of fame introduction and had a great pregame interview on Team1040 in which he spoke about his military upbringing and how he was taught to say thank you, so he thanked the B.C. fans for their support with a full-page newspaper ad when he left town. Classy.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

A long Province special about the 1985 Grey Cup win.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/ ... c0&k=34488

In that article, Gordon McIntyre states:

From 1985 to 2006 the B.C. Lions won four Grey Cups, and no other CFL team has supped from the Cup more than that over the same stretch.

That statement is true, but sort of has the implication that no other team won as many Grey Cups during that same period. The Edmonton Eskimos won four Grey Cups during that same time period as well.
lion24
Legend

Robbie wrote:A long Province special about the 1985 Grey Cup win.

From 1985 to 2006 the B.C. Lions won four Grey Cups, and no other CFL team has supped from the Cup more than that over the same stretch.

That statement is true, but sort of has the implication that no other team won as many Grey Cups during that same period. The Edmonton Eskimos won four Grey Cups during that same time period as well.
Now really Robbie did you have to bring the Eskimos into this!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: and not just let me enjoy the article?
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

It is somewhat of an artificial boast. So have the Argos. And the implication you point out would be true for the Argos if you equally arbitrarily started at 1991.

Also, the article says Don Matthews's tenure as head coach started in 1985 -- I thought it was earlier than that?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:

It is somewhat of an artificial boast. So have the Argos. And the implication you point out would be true for the Argos if you equally arbitrarily started at 1991.

Also, the article says Don Matthews's tenure as head coach started in 1985 -- I thought it was earlier than that?
Yeah. And there are some other errors in that article as well, when he states:

The Lions win the West final against a team that had beaten them three times in the regular season (Winnipeg in '85, Saskatchewan in '06).

There was only a 16 game schedule in 1985, and the Lions played only two regular season games against Winnipeg that were scheduled rather late in the season.
Robbie
Hall of Famer