Can Dave win the GC if he's allowed to run his own offence?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Can Dave engineer his own GC win if he's allowed to run the Lion?s offence?

Sugestions?
77%
Bashings?
23%

Total votes: 22
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

That's it!

Let DD call his own play selections and I will predict a GC to the British Columbia Lions in 2006 here today...

Remember Adam Rita did it when he let DA call his own game plan, and the results were we won our last Championship.

Let Chap look like he's the one behind the success if you will, but no one person is more capable nor more qualified than the Great Falls, Montana Machine!
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
derekrazzellsballs

So how exactly is this a poll? :?

how bout yes and no
Rammer
Team Captain

Can he? Yes. Will he, I highly doubt it, Chapdelaine has to be able to increase his resume, and by letting DD upstage his offense, he isn't exactly going to be going forward in his next career move if he allows that.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

A bigger question is whether the Lions can field an OL that can keep any of their QB's from being injured. Part of that was the game planning but a large part was the OL and a lesser part was the QB's willingness to take too many hits and not throw the ball away.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Agree with Dale....a better poll would be do you think DD can get through even 75% of the season without getting killed.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
squishy35
Legend

No, he can't. The question is, will Buck be able be able to play effectively for 2-4 consecutive games when Dave has to recover from injury?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

derekrazzellsballs wrote:So how exactly is this a poll? :?

how bout yes and no
Exactly !
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Buck and DD are similar QBs, so game planning for both should be relatively easy, even for Chapdelaine's limited brain functionality.

The biggest concern, that has already been mentioned, is will the OL be able to protect DD long enough to seen week 15 of the season without being incapacitated.
Sharpo

and remember guys, just what would have happened if we still had the old turf!
notahomer
Hall of Famer

[quote="PigSkin_53"]...Remember Adam Rita did it when he let DA call his own game plan, and the results were we won our last Championship./quote]

That is what I hated about Damon's stay here. He was TOLD how to do things and what he COULDN'T do. Well guess what, telling a running quarterback "don't run you'll get injured" is not going to make for a very successful QB. Pro athletes are better at just doing rather than having to THINK first before doing. That is what being in the zone is all about. I do think DD will be successful if we play from a point of our best rather than the culture of fear that seemed to exist during our last GC game. "Well the running game seems to be working let's quit running the ball". Toronto's punt returner is so awesome we're gonna give away field position with these goofy short punts. Why play to your opponents strengths??? I feel DD can get it done if he's allowed to play the game he sees out there on the field. It must be frustrating to try to execute a gameplan that you don't think is going to work. I'd hate to be blamed for a lacklustre performance if I wasn't allowed to execute based on my strengths.
CB123
Legend

So how exactly is this a poll?

how bout yes and no
:whs:
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
That is what I hated about Damon's stay here. He was TOLD how to do things and what he COULDN'T do. Well guess what, telling a running quarterback "don't run you'll get injured" is not going to make for a very successful QB. Pro athletes are better at just doing rather than having to THINK first before doing. That is what being in the zone is all about. I do think DD will be successful if we play from a point of our best rather than the culture of fear that seemed to exist during our last GC game. "Well the running game seems to be working let's quit running the ball". Toronto's punt returner is so awesome we're gonna give away field position with these goofy short punts. Why play to your opponents strengths??? I feel DD can get it done if he's allowed to play the game he sees out there on the field. It must be frustrating to try to execute a gameplan that you don't think is going to work. I'd hate to be blamed for a lacklustre performance if I wasn't allowed to execute based on my strengths.
Notahomer has it right. This was the reaction I was looking to encourage.

The poll was constructed in its present fashion to encourage either positive or constructively negative reaction.

I fail to see why every poll has to be so simplistic as to a dead pan yes or no...

It can still be a poll but with input either positive or negative, but please keep the criticism constructive.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
icemike

i think any qb is better if he calls his own play but in my oppinion lions wont be thaT good because dickenson is hurt every game and i am a little worried of the riders because they will have a strong team with the ne o cordinator.
Lionut
Hall of Famer

I'm reminded of the line given by an NFL coach when asked if his QB called his own plays.

"No, he calls our plays," replied the coach. :lol:

I have let QBs at the Midget level call their own plays at times, with no ill effects. In fact, it worked out well, as it gave them more "ownership" of the offence. What you do is discuss with them a range of options, send 'em out there, and let them do their thing. An intelligent QB like Dickenson, who has already done game simulation of every situation in practice and in meetings, would thrive in that situation. A QB with that experience level is almost like an assistant coach for you anyway. Take the training wheels off, and let him go.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."