Which Kicker?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Who would you pick to kick on Sunday?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:41 pm

Duncan O'Mahony, give the guy a chance
36%
Mark McLoughlin, even if he's injured
61%
Bret Anderson, only option
3%

Total votes: 61
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Who would you pick for Sunday's game? An injured McGloughlin, O'Mahony or Bret Anderson?
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Blitz
Team Captain

I'll take an injured McLaughlin....although if Duncan has hurt his leg it probably would have straightened out his place kicking!! :wink:

However Duncan can punt and we really need him to have an excellent game cause special teams become even more important in big games..where the score should be close with two evenly matched teams.

I sure hope Anderson can kickoff because O'Mahoney can't kick it deep enough and we give up valuable field postion....and we should NEVER have used MacLaughlin on any kickoff....we was too valuable to take the chance that he could be blocked let alone pull a 'hammie' I would rather have had Wally kick off (he used to be a kicker) than take the chance on MacLoughlin!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
notahomer
Hall of Famer

This is the time of year we need results, not excuses. Duncan had his chance, couldn't get the job done. Even Duncan has admitted it hurts to have lost the confidence of Buono and his teammates. I respect his punting and give him credit for still contributing in the way he is being asked. I know it's his job but he's not questioning why he lost his other duties. He knows his performance earlier just wasn't good enough.
stansz
Champion

gotta go with MM.....just hope he wont have to kick too much (cause we score tds)
pumped!!!
orangeClaw

Dont be dumb people. McGloughlin is injured. period. so he's not going to play. Anderson is not a kicker. period. when he has played it was worse than no kicker at all, with practice maybe, but . O'mahony is our kicker and his % is not as bad as every who hates him would like to think.
Leo_on_Rideau
Champion

Plus, O'Mahony isn't a particularly bigger risk than anyone else on long FG attempts. It's just the ones at a sharp angle that befuddle him. So if the team would just @^%#&! go for it on 3rd down when deep in Inuit territory, I don't see a problem at all playing Duncan.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

O'Mahony is the only option at this point. McLoughlin isn't even going to try to test his injured leg until Friday. It will be interesting to see what happens on Sunday if DO has to step up with the game on the line but he's done it before and I certainly will be pulling for him.

On a related note, J.P. McConnell and Lowell Ullrich were on Dan Russell's Sporststalk ("your Grey Cup party headquarters" :roll: ) again Tuesday, and J.P. was insisting on calling DO "O'Missy." I thought the name was crude and childish when I first heard it, and I hated to see it used on these boards. I couldn't believe that J.P., who once had great stature as a football reporter, would stoop to name-calling on the air.
Last edited by B.C.FAN on Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Oh Baggy Eyes should not be calling names. :lol:
Zarquon
Champion

I think in this situation you go with O'Mahony. Only a year ago he won the western final with a kick.:rockin:

Another way to look at this is to see what Flemming has done in Edmonton with the troubles he was having earlier in the season. They brought in Epstein for a few games and now Flemming is doing a great job on field goals.

I think Duncan will rise to the occasion and be fine.:cr:

Does anyone know if he has been practicing field goals in the last month?:? Or at least the last week and a half?:?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I think it would be a prudent move by the Lions to have him practice just in case.........
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I think it would be a prudent move by the Lions to have him practice just in case.........
It certainly can't hurt our cause! :cr:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

If O'Mahony starts and then misses a key field goal his career is done. :twisted:
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Charlene

I have faith in Duncan!

That guys needs some glory!
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

If there is one thing working in DO's favour, he won't have to factor in wind conditions, unless he starts hyperventilating................
J5V

Got to go with Duncan. MM is no good if his injury is as bad as it sounds.