Which QB would you rather face?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Which QB would you rather face?

Ricky Ray
88%
Jason Maas
12%

Total votes: 42
Angelus

There's a lot of debate on esksfans about who should start and who will start for the Esks.

So...Lions fans...who would you rather face? Who do you think your defence would have an easier time with? Who scares you least?
Rammer
Team Captain

I have sided with your view all season, RR has to be the one I would rather start against us, as Maas has zero to little tape on his tendencies. That and Maas can actually fire the ball to a receiver downfield, not just loft it up over defenders that get beaten by a receiver. That method has been exposed by the Stamps and just about everyone else this stretch drive, with RR not providing any TD's down the stretch.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blitz
Team Captain

I'm with you Rammer....I'd rather face Ray...but like us they can always go to both!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ray is a known quantity and that quantity has been good for 5-10 yards a pass lately and a couple of picks a game. Maas could have the keys to unlock that once-feared Eskimo arsenal.

Has anyone seen any comments from Maciocia on the QB question?
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Would hardly be surprised to see Maciocia keep it status quo with the hook ready early should Ray struggle.

Much easier going that route instead of the other way around should Mass happen to struggle.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I'll side with Sammy on what is likely to happen.

That said, it's the same offensive game plan with either guy though so...no preference.

You (and eskinator) are class posters, Angelius, so I wish you good luck on Sunday. :beer: (Though not too good, obviously).
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Just saw a postgame TSN interview with Maciocia on the Esks quarterback situation for the Western final. His quote:
"I don't know who's going to start. There's no quarterback controversy here. We're going to go back to Edmonton and get this team ready to play next week"
:?
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

I can tell you, I would LOVE to see Ray start.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:Just saw a postgame TSN interview with Maciocia on the Esks quarterback situation for the Western final. His quote:
"I don't know who's going to start. There's no quarterback controversy here. We're going to go back to Edmonton and get this team ready to play next week"
:?
That in itself may provide the reason that the Esks ended up in third place this past season. A HC who isn't decisive or clear with his thoughts makes you wonder how all that paper talent ended up in third.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

It's going to be nice. Had the Stamps won any further victories by the Lions would still have the 'you didn't beat the Esks'. I know, had the Esks lost, they'd lost. I just feel it's nice to get a crack at them again. It really hurt to lose that head to head for first against them. Ray didn't look good but then again neither did the Eskimoes the week before. The Eskimoes played well enough to win after a terrible season ender, now let's have the Lions do the same.
TROOPER

Six weeks ago I would have voted Maas but today I'll go for Ray.

That said, I would equally enjoy watching Maas scrape himself off the BC floor on Sunday.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

I want to see Ray all the way!
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Rammer
Team Captain

I would ideally want to see one half of Ray and the second half a portion Maas and the return of Ray. To me that would imply that the Esks are not geting it done to the umpth degree.
Blitz
Team Captain

I would ideally want to see one half of Ray and the second half a portion Maas and the return of Ray. To me that would imply that the Esks are not geting it done to the umpth degree.

Teams have taken the deep ball away from Ricky Ray and he's gone to the dump game. It's a lesson that is important..you have to throw the deep ball once in a while to loosen a defence up...even if it goes incomplete. Ray hasnt' done that and defences are coming up on the short pass and stopping Edmonton on second down.

There has been a lot of yakking about what a character guy Maas is for not saying anything while sitting on the bench this season. However the situation was different. When Edmonton signed Ray Maas knew what his role would become. The fact that Ray is starting on Sunday is absolutely no surprise to me...Ray came back to Edmonton on the condition that he be the starter. There was no sense in Maas *beeotch* about it and he has waited (probably longer than he anticipated) for an opportunity. But because he's handled it quietly does not mean he is happy. He wants a trade and that will happen in the off-season. He's not going to sit another year!!

With our Leos it's been handled differently. Dickenson was our starter but his injury required the second string quarterback Printers to come in and he had an MVP season. Dickenson did not get his starter's job back until the Grey Cup, after coming into the game in the Western Final, when Printers had to come out, and he played well. Dickenson was more than capable, health wise, of starting the Western Final and a couple of games before. The Leos never settled on a starter when Dickenson returned last year and they didn't go into training camp that way either. Printers injury meant the competition didn't happen. When Dickenson went down against Saskatchewan with his concussion he was capable of returning against Edmonton in Commonwealth. Even if the Leos were being extra careful with him...and that was wise...Dickenson was more than ready to start our last game against Saskatchewan and when he was inserted he was pulled.

So we have never settled on a starter for a while now. The Leos left the situation up in the air. When both have been able to start...which hasn't been that often...the Leos coaching staff have left the decision until the last possible moment. That isn't easy for any quarterback to deal with...because both are left believing they could be the starter and neither has known their role with the team. It has also increased the quarterback controversy and resulted in comments being made that have been hurtful.

I'm glad that we're going with a new approach to this quarterback situation. It might have had some positive's to it for a while but it was becoming destructive.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Greetings, Angelus, a very good topic.

I'd rather see Ray, but if he doesn't convert on one of the first three Esks drives, I think we'll see Maas. I also think Maas handles the 13thman at BC Place better than Ray, so again, I'd like to see Ray.