Calgary or Edmonton in the Western Final?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Edmonton or Calgary in the Western Final?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:08 am

Calgary Stampeders
65%
Edmonton Eskimos
35%

Total votes: 51
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I don't think this topic has been discussed yet. Would you rather see BC play Calgary or Edmonton in the Western Final? Historically, BC has a not faired well with either of these two teams in the playoffs, with similar losing records:

Playoff Record vs. Edmonton: 3 Wins, 7 Losses
Playoff Record vs. Calgary: 3 Wins, 6 Losses

1959 - Loss to Edmonton
1964 - Win over Calgary
1969 - Loss to Calgary
1977 - Loss to Edmonton
1979 - Loss to Calgary
1981 - Loss to Edmonton
1986 - Loss to Edmonton
1987 - Loss to Edmonton
1988 - Win over Edmonton
1991 - Loss to Calgary
1993 - Loss to Calgary
1994 - Win over Edmonton
1994 - Win over Calgary
1995 - Loss to Edmonton
1998 - Loss to Edmonton
1999 - Loss to Calgary
2000 - Win over Edmonton
2000 - Win over Calgary
2001 - Loss to Calgary
Zarquon
Champion

I say Edmonton although we beat Calgary twice this year it was early on and Burris was just getting use to the new system / receiving core. They are on a roll right now and are looking tough. As for Edmonton yes they beat us twice in their building but even though we were slumping we were in the game. I think they might under estimate us just as they did Calgary and that would give us a better chance.
Meus occupatio est ut calcitro vestri clunis.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I really don't care one way or the other. My only wish is that both teams beat the living crap out of each other. And one more thing, the game go into overtime. :wink:
smithers

One has to wonder if Edmonton and Calgary ever get tired of their pointless rivalry between each other. Just like Springfield and Shelbyville:

Lisa: What's so special about this game anyway? It's just another chapter in the pointless rivalry between Springfield and Shelbyville. They built a mini-mall, so we built a bigger mini-mall. They made the world's largest pizza, so we burnt down their city hall.

Homer: Heh heh heh. Yeah, they swore they'd get us back by spiking our water supply. But they didn't have the guts.

Marge: [drinks tap water, sees the walls start to run]
Ooooh. The walls are melting again. [giggles]

Chicken: [getting out of the oven] Personally, I think I'm overdone.
[flies away]
squishy35
Legend

I'd like to see the Stamps here. Just because I would love to see EDM loose this weekend. They were waaaayyyy too cocky printing the WF was going to be held at Commonwealth. :x
LFITQ
Team Captain

I say Calgary.

Recent history says you probably don't want a 3rd place team coming out of the Western Semi ...
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Zarquon
Champion

LFITQ wrote: Recent history says you probably don't want a 3rd place team coming out of the Western Semi ...
Didn't we beat the 3rd place team coming out of the Western Semi last year. :rockin:
Rammer
Team Captain

I want Calgary only because I want to beat out the second best team in the West to show we eraned the GC game. 8)
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

i want calgary and i think we have no chance against Scurvey and company :wink:
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Charlene

I say Calgary...but i think some of us are understimating them, just as Edmonton did.
jim604
All Star

i dont underestimate calgary, myself...definelty the hot team going into the playoffs...
i would like to play them for a few reasons...

1) yes, we have done well against them this year..
2) they're not the eskimos :lol:
3) after a few years of stuggling, they look like a great team and deserve to be there
4) i would love to see higgins take out the team that cut him loose
5) *if the leos beat the stamps, they will prove to canada, and us BC fans they are 100% for real, taking out the favorite (i imagine they are, in the west at least)

this way, those talkin trash about how they dont -DESERVE- to be in the W. FINAL when they -WON- the best record in the CFL. i got a few laughs at work yesturday by so called lions fans saying they dont deserve it... then who does? the team in 4th? gimme a freakin break...it doesnt matter how you get there...its the FINAL complete seasonal record that is acounted for..not the final 6-7 games...ottawa won at the end of the year..should they get the EAST title?! gimme a break
Rammer
Team Captain

jim604 wrote:i dont underestimate calgary, myself...definelty the hot team going into the playoffs...
i would like to play them for a few reasons...

1) yes, we have done well against them this year..
2) they're not the eskimos :lol:
3) after a few years of stuggling, they look like a great team and deserve to be there
4) i would love to see higgins take out the team that cut him loose
5) *if the leos beat the stamps, they will prove to canada, and us BC fans they are 100% for real, taking out the favorite (i imagine they are, in the west at least)

this way, those talkin trash about how they dont -DESERVE- to be in the W. FINAL when they -WON- the best record in the CFL. i got a few laughs at work yesturday by so called lions fans saying they dont deserve it... then who does? the team in 4th? gimme a freakin break...it doesnt matter how you get there...its the FINAL complete seasonal record that is acounted for..not the final 6-7 games...ottawa won at the end of the year..should they get the EAST title?! gimme a break
Nail meet hammer. Excellent post on our situation, thanks.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Calgary to beat Edmonton this week as the Esks get embroiled in an internal QB controversy following the great play of their back up off the bench and tossing the first TD by an Esk QB in weeks!
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Robbie
Hall of Famer

How's this for a reason to want to face Calgary: Revenge. It was just over 1.5 years ago in April 2004 when the city of Calgary knocked off the city of Vancouver in a crucial playoff series. Playing Calgary gives Vancouver a chance at vengeance and redemption.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I say Calgary for a few reasons. They dominated the last game when all Edmonton had to do was win (thereby getting div. title and bye etc.). Calgary has an awesome quarterback that has played in a previous exciting Western Final. Calgary doesn't have a QB that gets 'roughing the passer' calls the way a certain ex-Jet seems to get them. All in all I feel the Lions need to FEAST on whoever wins the Western Semi. This year is an opportunity that is not going to happen again for a LONG time. Thankfully the days of Toronto's dome one year, BC's dome the next are over. It is our turn to host, may the Lions be the most.