Whom Would You Like To See Start In 2006

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Printers Or Dickenson for 2006?

Casey Printers
67%
Dave Dickensen
33%

Total votes: 57
Gerry
Legend

I voted DD just so I could see the vote results, but really, I don't care.

I trust Buono and Ackles to do what they can for the future of the club.

Which one stays depends on who wants to stay, money, health, length of contract etc. We're not privy to any of the inside info, the negotiations, the doctors reports etc. Over the last two seasons there's been enough bad rumours and bogus reports as to health and status just for game to game availability, so there's certainly not enough info for us to decide realistically who should be the starter for next year. We're just blowing smoke here.

For those of you who are worried about DD's injuries, you might want to consider that if we had not had DD THIS year, we would not have had an 11 and 0 start with Pierce and Jackson, because CP has been injured up till the last game. Not to take anything away from Pierce and Jackson, but I'm being realistic. Or are all of you Printers fans saying that he wasn't really hurt this year? He's been unavailable as much or more than Dickenson has due to injury over the two seasons.

The only thing you can say about Printers to give him the nod over Dickenson is that he's younger, but then, Dave doesn't pout as much. A toss up for sure.
rb
Champion

Rammer, I believe that Pierce is a free man at the end of '07, so the club could lose him outright if they haven't given him a good deal before that time comes. And that might be a shame because I really do think he's going to be a fine player if he can stay healthy.
Don Miller
Legend

:rockin: If Casey wants to stay here he should be the future qb for us, otherwise let him try the NFL. If Wally has to get rid of dd he would likely trade him to Hamilton or Toronto. Casey still has much to learn about defences. His athleticism is unchallenged, his agent is challenged!
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The reality of the CFL is this:

You need two (sometimes 3 - count 'em) QBs who can play on any given day/night. Why not just do the Wilkinson - Moon way. In some years it has been the lack of talent in the CFL at that spot that has led teams to have just one good QB. The better way is to have two and play them both.

Having said, you have to find them with the willingness and the ability to make it work...
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I think Buck is the big factor here. If they deal Printers and keep DD, then Buck is looking at having the starting job passed to him in as little as maybe 2 years. But if they deal DD and keep CP then Buck has to decide if he wants to wait and see if Printers fails to stick in the NFL 3 years from now. If I were Buck, I'd commit long term to BC if it means playing behind DD. But if I was looking at the possibility of backing up Printers for 6 or 7 years then I'd want to go elsewhere to be the starter.

I think both CP and DD could be great pivots for us for the next 2 or 3 years before either the NFL or age respectfully force us promote the understudy.

I wish we were in a position to see a bit more from Buck this year. If he was to perform well I'd say deal DD. But I will have to trust Walley on this one. I learned my lesson second guessing him about Wynn!
Gerry
Legend

Belize City Lion wrote: But if they deal DD and keep CP then Buck has to decide if he wants to wait and see if Printers fails to stick in the NFL 3 years from now. If I were Buck, I'd commit long term to BC if it means playing behind DD. But if I was looking at the possibility of backing up Printers for 6 or 7 years then I'd want to go elsewhere to be the starter.
I disagree.

I'd like to think that these guys are smarter than that and that they realize that nothing is written in stone in their business.

Pierce could easily end up playing a season even if he is playing behind Printers, who is signed long term. Just look at Printers last year, playing the #3 spot in camp, and being behind Dickenson and Wynn. Less than a season later Printers is the MOP. That opens up doors to big contracts, the NFL, whatever. And all of that is easier to do with a contending team like the Lions.

If DD was not here, Pierce would have started 11 games this year, despite being behind Printers on the depth chart.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Gerry wrote:
Belize City Lion wrote: But if they deal DD and keep CP then Buck has to decide if he wants to wait and see if Printers fails to stick in the NFL 3 years from now. If I were Buck, I'd commit long term to BC if it means playing behind DD. But if I was looking at the possibility of backing up Printers for 6 or 7 years then I'd want to go elsewhere to be the starter.
I disagree.

I'd like to think that these guys are smarter than that and that they realize that nothing is written in stone in their business.

Pierce could easily end up playing a season even if he is playing behind Printers, who is signed long term. Just look at Printers last year, playing the #3 spot in camp, and being behind Dickenson and Wynn. Less than a season later Printers is the MOP. That opens up doors to big contracts, the NFL, whatever. And all of that is easier to do with a contending team like the Lions.

If DD was not here, Pierce would have started 11 games this year, despite being behind Printers on the depth chart.
But if you are Buck do you want to have to hope that the guy in front of you gets injured so you can start?
Gerry
Legend

Belize City Lion wrote:
Gerry wrote:
I disagree.

But if you are Buck do you want to have to hope that the guy in
front of you gets injured so you can start?
You don't have to hope for it, but you have to realize that it not only may happen, but that it likely will happen, and that you should be ready for it.

Not only that. If you work hard and look good in practise you may get sent in to give the number 1 a "break" when he's having a bad day. You'll get a chance to show your stuff while mopping up, or finishing a game that's a total loser. Somehow, the opportunity will be there, and someone will see, and the chance to start will be there. Number 1 may become tradeable because you're showing some stuff. Dunnigan got traded, and either Printers or Dickenson will likely be traded, so no one is untouchable. Hell, Gretzky got traded! Someone moved up on the depth chart the day Gretzky went to LA.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

One thing that will have a major impact on who stays and who goes is what happens in the next 36 days. If CP starts the next couple of games and does well then I think he's the guy for the playoffs. I can't imagine CP leading us to a Grey Cup victory only to get traded so DD can get back his starting job for 2006.
Gerry
Legend

Belize City Lion wrote:One thing that will have a major impact on who stays and who goes is what happens in the next 36 days. If CP starts the next couple of games and does well then I think he's the guy for the playoffs. I can't imagine CP leading us to a Grey Cup victory only to get traded so DD can get back his starting job for 2006.
But he won't be traded if he leaves to try it out in the NFL. Someone down south will sign him, even if it's just as training camp fodder. It's not all up to the Lions.
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

Funny you started this thread David, after the Montreal game I e-mailed Bob Ackles and said he and management would be wise to seriously consider keeping Casey.
Dickenson is a great player but after everything that has gone on this season the team has to go with what makes more sense.
Bighill is Badass
squishy35
Legend

his agent is challenged!

:lol:
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Ironically ... it could work against keeping CP here long term if we end up riding him into the playoffs and the Lions are successful.

Already ... there are 6 teams down south interested in him with Miami supposedly leading the way. His resum? could look even better if he led the Lions to the Grey Cup with a bum shoulder, on top of winning the MOP in 2004.

Medlock will also be entering the off-season with far more leverage than he did a year ago. And a few more performances like last week in Montreal is only going to help the situation.

I would love to see CP here as the starter for the next 3 seasons but realistically I can't see him agreeing to anymore than 2 (2 years and an option deal) even if he does sign an extension.
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

That's true Sammy but what if he doesn't make the NFL, then we'll want him here.
Bighill is Badass
mightybuck
Legend

With all the talk about DD and CP and BP Where do you guys see JJ next year?
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out