Whom Would You Like To See Start In 2006

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Printers Or Dickenson for 2006?

Casey Printers
67%
Dave Dickensen
33%

Total votes: 57
David
Team Captain

Some may be dreading this question as it's such a divisive issue, but I'm sure most of you are thinking about it, so I am going to ask it. It's quite obvious Wally Buono and Bob Ackles are not going to keep two marquee quarterbacks around next year when both want and deserve to be starting in this league....

Whom do you want the BC Lions starting quarterback to be for the 2006 season? Casey Printers or Dave Dickenson?

I am going to boldly state my preference right now. Casey Printers with Buck Pierce backing him up.

Here's why:

* I'd like to see Casey re-sign so it keeps him in a Lions uniform for at least three more years. It's no secret that he would like to try his luck down south in the future, but I've heard nothing come out of Casey's mouth indicating it's an immediate priority. He has said really good things about the Canadian game, the city of Vancouver and its people. This would put him at 28-29 years old at the end of his contract - still in his prime to pursue his dream but with a much healthier resume under his belt and much better prepared to read complex defences. By that time, we can pass the torch down to a well groomed Buck Pierce to lead this team.

* I like Casey's arm, ability to stretch the field, his scrambling ablilities, flat out speed, and the excitement he brings to this franchise. He may throw more pics than Dave but he will also bring you out of your seat. Further, not to knock Dave for what he's done for this team, but I view Casey as the future of the franchise - he's the charismatic personality with whom younger fans can identify and can help take the BC Lions to the next level at the gate.

* Can he be somewhat moody? Sure. But with the frustration of a lingering shoulder injury and not being able to lead this team to battle (not to mention having to answer the same assinine questions over and over), I can't say I blame him. I've witnessed the other side of Casey too. I've watched a guy in practice who holds court with his teammates on the sidelines, cracking jokes and exchanging gentle ribbing. It was a pleasure to watch.

* If we're successful in re-signing Casey, we could trade Dave to an Eastern team. Think what we could get for him to bolster this team! Dave will be 33 when camp rolls around next year. He still has 3 or 4 good years left in him I'm sure, but I am concerned about the cumulative effect of his knee injuries (not to mention the lingering effects of the concussion). Wally's always been good at staying ahead of the curve on personnel. It would be a bold move to trade Dave to be sure. But I think the right one if we can re-sign Casey for a few more years.

I know one game doesn't make a season and others will criticize me for being way too premature with this, but the Montreal game reassured me...the swagger is back! Even if he's not as successful Saturday against Winnipeg as he was last week against Montreal, I'll still feel the same way:

CP Air, starting quarterback for the B.C. Lions all the way in 2006!

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I want doug flutie :rockin:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

seriously, a guy I am not yet sold on and who will be gone to NFL as soon as possible vs a guy who is injured too much.

I just cant bring myself to pick either one over the other.

I would rather Buck step and and take the job in camp, unless someone comes up with another gem
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
crburrows
Champion

The CBA expires after this year. The standard for a starting QB could be well over $500k.

This might be enough incentive to keep Casey happy for three years - if so, I'd be happy to have him around for that long.

After that, if he tries the NFL, OK. If he comes back, a la Ricky Ray, more power (and five more Grey Cups) for us.
Rammer
Team Captain

This was asked on yesterdays afternoon show on the TEAM, I avoided posting it up then, too many variables currently. However if CP was signed he brings too much upside tot he table to trade off, over DD, so my vote lies with CP.

Injuries to his knees does seem to be the least of DD's problems though this year, I am also counting on him getting over his concussion quickly. His only downfall may be his re-occuring injuries each season, partially due to his style of play and somewhat to do with the Lions o-line.

ONe thing for sure is the Als put pressure on our QB, whereas tehy didn't sack the Riders once I understand, so we are still not out of the woods with that situation.

Oh and as much as hate to say it, CP brought me out of my seat way more often than I have been this season.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

i would say Dave Dickenson with Buck Second string but if CP Comes back it would be CP DD and BP
2012 Season Ticket Holder
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I like DD for the ball control but he's been injured too much. So CP Air it is I guess as long as Medlock is grounded
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Forgetting any salary issues, here is another scenario:

Dave Dickenson having taken one too many knocks to the head decides that he will become the next Tom Wilkinson willing to share the QB load with either of CP or BP similar to the Wilkinson-Moon combo in Edmonton that won them quite a number of Grey Cups before Moon (Printers or Pierce) left for the NFL or Dave Dickinson's playing days are done. Coach Buono remembering his days in Calgary with Flutie-Garcica and later Burris, concurs.

At the risk of being facetious stating this, maybe that is another scenario that- if affordable to their team payroll- could work out good for all involved including extending Dickenson's career. This means that the hot QB goes for it and the coach makes changes at will even though no one is named Will. Look at Doug Flutie right now. I suspect he has shifted from wanting to play every down to being okay with a back up role and being used sparedly - thus allowing him to be in football as a player longer while still collecting some good money.

It is not dissimilar to a hockey player like Trevor Linden who shifts off the first line and willingly toils on versus a Mark Messier who stays on and averages down his overall team's capabilities as he won't be anything but #1.

As a coach, I had a 37 year old player on my team with many appearances for Canada's National soccer team, and we made it as first year lower division team to the final 8 playing teams at a premier level. The 37 year old who was great at a lower level and helped our team and was brilliant taking the corners and free kicks for goals agreed that he'd start the games at the top level and if it was too fast come out. As it turned out, the way the game went it worked out that he went the full time. My point...is if a player can see that he doesn't need to be in on every play to be a huge contributor, there can be other benefits like extending your career.

The counter to this is Warren Moon, Damon Allen - all guys who start and play full time.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Whomever is willing to make a long term comittment to the club, health providing.
Rammer
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:Whomever is willing to make a long term comittment to the club, health providing.
Easily said, but much harder to determine, this is coaching decision that could easily come back to haunt you with the QB you drop playing against you down the road in the CFL, while the other is unable to play for you.
squishy35
Legend

David wrote:Some may be dreading this question as it's such a divisive issue, but I'm sure most of you are thinking about it, so I am going to ask it. It's quite obvious Wally Buono and Bob Ackles are not going to keep two marquee quarterbacks around next year when both want and deserve to be starting in this league....

Whom do you want the BC Lions starting quarterback to be for the 2006 season? Casey Printers or Dave Dickenson?

I am going to boldly state my preference right now. Casey Printers with Buck Pierce backing him up.

Here's why:

* I'd like to see Casey re-sign so it keeps him in a Lions uniform for at least three more years. It's no secret that he would like to try his luck down south in the future, but I've heard nothing come out of Casey's mouth indicating it's an immediate priority. He has said really good things about the Canadian game, the city of Vancouver and its people. This would put him at 28-29 years old at the end of his contract - still in his prime to pursue his dream but with a much healthier resume under his belt and much better prepared to read complex defences. By that time, we can pass the torch down to a well groomed Buck Pierce to lead this team.

* I like Casey's arm, ability to stretch the field, his scrambling ablilities, flat out speed, and the excitement he brings to this franchise. He may throw more pics than Dave but he will also bring you out of your seat. Further, not to knock Dave for what he's done for this team, but I view Casey as the future of the franchise - he's the charismatic personality with whom younger fans can identify and can help take the BC Lions to the next level at the gate.

* Can he be somewhat moody? Sure. But with the frustration of a lingering shoulder injury and not being able to lead this team to battle (not to mention having to answer the same assinine questions over and over), I can't say I blame him. I've witnessed the other side of Casey too. I've watched a guy in practice who holds court with his teammates on the sidelines, cracking jokes and exchanging gentle ribbing. It was a pleasure to watch.

* If we're successful in re-signing Casey, we could trade Dave to an Eastern team. Think what we could get for him to bolster this team! Dave will be 33 when camp rolls around next year. He still has 3 or 4 good years left in him I'm sure, but I am concerned about the cumulative effect of his knee injuries (not to mention the lingering effects of the concussion). Wally's always been good at staying ahead of the curve on personnel. It would be a bold move to trade Dave to be sure. But I think the right one if we can re-sign Casey for a few more years.

I know one game doesn't make a season and others will criticize me for being way too premature with this, but the Montreal game reassured me...the swagger is back! Even if he's not as successful Saturday against Winnipeg as he was last week against Montreal, I'll still feel the same way:

CP Air, starting quarterback for the B.C. Lions all the way in 2006!

DH 8)
:whs: :s:
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

In a purrfect world I would prefer a younger, more mobile Casey Printers.

That said...only if he commits to the team for at least three seasons...
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
Rammer
Team Captain

OrangeShoes99 wrote:In a purrfect world I would prefer a younger, more mobile Casey Printers.

That said...only if he commits to the team for at least three seasons...
That means a 3 plus 1 then, making him what 27 for an NFL option year window?
rb
Champion

Printers should stay up here for another 2-3 years. Once he's proven that he can stay healthy and builds up a fuller line of accomplishments, then he can try the NFL. Assuming, of course, that he can get a CFL contract that is reasonable given his awesome potential and his '04 season. (I'd say that whatever Ricky Ray got, Casey should get as much. Maybe more, but he has had some injuries.) I'd love for him to stay with the Lions because he will be an awesome force in this league when he's healthy, but it's hard to know exactly what Casey thinks about Wally.

By the way, when Wally says the money's still on the table, does that mean $1 million over three years or is it the backloaded money on the final couple of years? I can't see Casey accepting the former but I think he'd probably be willing to take something close to the latter.

With that said... I think that Pierce will be good enough to start come 2007. He's not the awesome physical talent that Printers is, but he's still quite mobile, throws accurately, and seems to possess substantial amounts of intelligence, poise and character.

If I'm right about Pierce, then that puts the '06 starting scenario into a slightly different perspective. Maybe then, the team can keep Dickenson as the starter next year, with a more experienced Pierce ready to step in when Dickenson's seemingly inevitable injuries occur. For '07, the club could dump Dickenson's salary via trade or release, sign Pierce to a long-term deal and let him be the guy. Printers would be an awesome asset to use as trade bait.
Rammer
Team Captain

rb wrote:Printers should stay up here for another 2-3 years. Once he's proven that he can stay healthy and builds up a fuller line of accomplishments, then he can try the NFL. Assuming, of course, that he can get a CFL contract that is reasonable given his awesome potential and his '04 season. (I'd say that whatever Ricky Ray got, Casey should get as much. Maybe more, but he has had some injuries.) I'd love for him to stay with the Lions because he will be an awesome force in this league when he's healthy, but it's hard to know exactly what Casey thinks about Wally.

By the way, when Wally says the money's still on the table, does that mean $1 million over three years or is it the backloaded money on the final couple of years? I can't see Casey accepting the former but I think he'd probably be willing to take something close to the latter.

With that said... I think that Pierce will be good enough to start come 2007. He's not the awesome physical talent that Printers is, but he's still quite mobile, throws accurately, and seems to possess substantial amounts of intelligence, poise and character.

If I'm right about Pierce, then that puts the '06 starting scenario into a slightly different perspective. Maybe then, the team can keep Dickenson as the starter next year, with a more experienced Pierce ready to step in when Dickenson's seemingly inevitable injuries occur. For '07, the club could dump Dickenson's salary via trade or release, sign Pierce to a long-term deal and let him be the guy. Printers would be an awesome asset to use as trade bait.
Sing Printers and we are in a repeat situation with BP in two seasons, although CP will be likely heading South for his career at that point.