Should the start time for the Oct. 22 game be moved up?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Should the Lions move up the start time of the Oct. 22 game?

Yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes: 37
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Weekend SportsTalk host Jeff Patterson suggests the Lions will be losing out on at least 5,000 fans for the Oct. 22 home game against Winnipeg that will be going head-to-head with Avalanche-Canucks game at GM Place.

Patterson added the fact it very well could be a mean nothing game will make it even a harder decision for casual Lions fans to attend. He suggested a 3 or 4 p.m. start time ... and next season the Lions should take a hard look at playing all Friday night games to avoid more conflicts with the Canucks and HNIC games.

As a diehard Lions fan I know where I and many of you will be but he brings up a valid point, given how many new fans have come onboard.
spikos
Rookie

yeah, I love the Friday night games, I work downtown, so it's great to change after work, grab dinner, then head over to the game. I'd like to see Friday night games straight throughout the season....but if you want to give consideration to high school and university football, then they should go Friday nights until labour day and Sundays after that.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

going head-to-head with Avalanche-Canucks game at GM Place.
game 10 of an 80 game schedule. Now thats a meaningful game to attend. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

A true Lions fan would go to a home game befor a Canucks game because hockey is starting the season and has till next June and the Leos are winding down, only 3 more home games.

If those people want to go to a Canucks game, so be it, go, go my little hockey fan, go.

They'll miss out on all the fun under the big mushroom. :tease:
Bighill is Badass
crburrows
Champion

Canucks are 0-3 in preseason. Why would anyone want to see them play? :wink:

That said, I think the Lions are a good draw on their own, and don't need to play around with game times to get a good crowd.

This may have been the case a few years ago with only 18,000 under the dome, but I don't think theres too much to worry about now.

Also, changing the game time won't necessarily draw many people. Most hockey fans won't be "doubling-up." They'll go to the hockey game and not the Lions game, regardless of whether there's a confilct. I sure wouldn't bother to go to a Canucks game if it didn't conflict with the Lions game!

Besides, changing your game time to not confilct with the Canucks is a kind of "I surrendur" statement, which doesn't need to be made.
hexx

not many people would attend both games but the thinking is that some will stay home to watch it on cbc. it's the return of the avs to gm place. nothing is going to happen but you can bet the hype will completely overshadow the lions game.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I listened to the show was infuriated at Patterson's premise that when there's a conflict between the Canucks and the Lions, the Lions should reschedule. Yes, it's inconvenient to fans of both teams and makes travel and parking very difficult. Perhaps more people would attend the Lions game if the Canucks weren't playing next door at the same time. But I would rather the two teams went head-to-head than for the Lions to abandon a Saturday night game on their schedule.

Saturday night in the fall has been football night in Vancouver since long before the Canucks joined the NHL. For many years, home dates bounced around the calendar and attendance suffered. In recent years the schedule has become a bit more consistent, with Friday games during the summer and Saturday games in the fall.

I haven't crunched the numbers but it seems the biggest crowds of the Lions season always occur on Saturday nights in October and the first week of November, when they are most likely to be up against Hockey Night in Canada, often with the Canucks playing.

If it were up to me, every game would be on a Saturday. It is too hard to fight rush-hour traffic on a Friday or a weeknight to get into town from the Valley. Vancouver fans have never supported team sports on a Saturday afternoon. I firmly believe the Lions would lose a lot of fans by moving their start time earlier or by moving the date altogether, such as from Saturday to Friday.
smphantom
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote: If it were up to me, every game would be on a Saturday. It is too hard to fight rush-hour traffic on a Friday or a weeknight
:whs:
Stay thirsty my friends.
Max Power
prospect

OK...first off, I don't like Jeff Patterson.

And...I think the Canucks should consider Lions home games as off limits for the NHL to schedule evening games, but they don't, so we're stuck with it.

That said... I think the Lions should definitely move up the start tme because the Canucks/Avs game is the first time the two teams have played since you-know-when, also an opportunity for the Lions to pick up some Canucks fans by offering them a discounted upper bowl seat if they have a Canucks tickets. Theoretically TSN could move the start time up, more favourable for an eastern TV crowd anyway. It should work
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:I listened to the show was infuriated at Patterson's premise that when there's a conflict between the Canucks and the Lions, the Lions should reschedule. Yes, it's inconvenient to fans of both teams and makes travel and parking very difficult. Perhaps more people would attend the Lions game if the Canucks weren't playing next door at the same time. But I would rather the two teams went head-to-head than for the Lions to abandon a Saturday night game on their schedule.
:whs:
hexx

Max Power wrote:the Canucks/Avs game is the first time the two teams have played since you-know-when
actually - the canucks play in colorado 2 nights before. it isn't nearly as significant as people are making it out to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

No afternoon games. Period
SammyGreene
Team Captain

hexx wrote:
Max Power wrote:the Canucks/Avs game is the first time the two teams have played since you-know-when
actually - the canucks play in colorado 2 nights before. it isn't nearly as significant as people are making it out to be.
Nope ... they're at home against Phoenix. It is the first meeting between the two teams.

http://www.canucks.com/schedule/schedul ... ctionID=18
hexx

my mistake - looks like they play 2 in a row in colorado the following week
crburrows
Champion

Now it matters less - Matt Cooke will not play.