Should the start time for the Oct. 22 game be moved up?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Should the Lions move up the start time of the Oct. 22 game?

Yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes: 37
D
Team Captain

I will bet that more people are at the football game than the hockey game ... as the Lions schedule comes out long before the Canucks .. perhaps the Canucks should look at avoiding conflicts with the Lions schedule next year :wink:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
bc49
Hall of Famer

This idea is not a bad one. And for the record it's not the first time JP has recommened the Lions alter their sched to avoid a conflict.
I am not a big fan of tinkering with something once it's been finalized (like the start time of a game) because you always know there's a handful of people who will miss the game b/c they didn't catch the time change memo or people who will have to miss the game as an early start doesn't fit their Sat schedule. That kind of stuff is just bad PR

On the other hand HNIC (with the Canucks) will always kill the crowd for a Lions game. It's all very well for the dudes on here to state their preference for the local football team but the local hockey team is 10x more popular and is the easy first choice for most. Free hockey game at home on TV or $44 for a corner seat at the Lions game . . . that's an ugly no-win situation for the BC Lions who will have likely wrapped up first place by then.

I am leaning slightly to the change the start time side but not enough to make that my final decision.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

No afternoon games, Saturday or Sunday.

There is just too much else going on.

It is unfortunate that both teams overlap but when the Canucks are trying to fit in 40 or so home games there's bound to be some overlap.

I don't like the games in summer all that much as that is holiday time but no afternoon games for my liking - just the Grey Cup will do me fine and ok, the Western final but not league.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
LFITQ
Team Captain

travelling in from out of town ... Friday nights kill that. The only reason I have been able to attend so many Friday night games was because work schedules helped out plus my wife was on Mat leave so it wasn't a big deal for her to get time off to go.

As for saturday afternoon - It makes it more difficult for the out of town fan because they might be travelling in during the day to get to the night game. In addition, how many families have "other activities" (ie soccer, dance lessons, etc.) during the day on weekends? You could be losing out on that "Family" market that you have just worked so hard to get.

As for changing a start time because of hockey ... no bloody way ... You don't want to alienate the fans that have already bought tickets and made plans. Plus this year it will be a good measuring stick to see just how many "fans" you have picked up. It would be very interesting if the Lions had 30-40,000 people and the Canucks barely drew 10K.

I also know that if the Lions DO change the start time up to 3-4pm I wouldn't be alone in asking for a refund on my ticket purchase...

But the bottom line ...

I don't think OS99 is gonna be posting in this thread at all .. :lol:
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

why dont they just move the canucks game to 4? :beer:
2012 Season Ticket Holder
sfu_guy

Dan_Payne_fan!! wrote:why dont they just move the canucks game to 4? :beer:
:rockin:
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

That would anger that small group of Canuck fans who also like to watch the Maple Jokes play at 4pm
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

We were listening to Patterson's broadcast on the way home from the ferry, and the more I listened, the madder I got. Why should the LIONS change their schedule which has been out since what, February?? At that time, the Canuckleheads didn't even know if they'd be playing or not, and yet WE still have to make concessions to the almighty hockey $$. Unbelievable!! Let me refresh your memory folks! There was a lockout remember? No one cared about the fans, remember? If I recall a certain player told us to kiss his a**. Nice classy organization, that. I had an epiphany this weekend as well. I learned that most Canuck fans don't even go to games unless they have a corporate ticket, because the AVERAGE fan can't afford to go. Stick to yer guns, Bobby Ackles! Don't blink! If we can make plans when the schedule comes out at the beginning of the year, so can the Canucks. Having the choice of watching an 11-1 team that has won 4 championships, or a presently 0-3 preseason team that has NEVER won anything, I'll take football, thanks.
Real women wear orange!!
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

The hockey "regular" season is just one big glorified pre-season anyway. What could be more meaningless than a regular season NHL game in October? I'll be at BC Place that night because there is nowhere else worth being.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

And one more thing to justify my opinions. The Cannots are now 0-4 in preseason. Rah. :roll:
Real women wear orange!!
MacNews
Team Captain

CatsEyes wrote:...I learned that most Canuck fans don't even go to games unless they have a corporate ticket, because the AVERAGE fan can't afford to go...
Contrary to popular belief, I have a #2 Ohlund jersey. I love the Canucks, though now less than the Lions.

While I do believe that Canucks tickets are extremely over-priced ($30 for crap seats) The thing that bothers me is that you can't even buy tickets even if you want to fork out serious dough!

The reason why people like the Canucks, it's the same with the NFL, you can't go to a game, but you can watch it on TV and it's 'Major-League'. Ooooh, ahhhh. :bang: :bawl:
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

NO

In a hockey dominated market, you want to give them more power without them having to lift a finger?

I guess some people like bending over or being on their backs to get some hockey.......... :roll:
nelson95
Legend

Better not switch it. I passed up tix for that AVS game in my Ice Pak and have to return on 11/30 after grey cup WE to see AVS this year. The Lions attendence will suffer with hockey returning, deal with it. No matter what this season is a financial success for BC.
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

nelson95 wrote:Better not switch it. I passed up tix for that AVS game in my Ice Pak and have to return on 11/30 after grey cup WE to see AVS this year. The Lions attendence will suffer with hockey returning, deal with it. No matter what this season is a financial success for BC.
Same. I got half season pack B, simply because of the timing of both Avs games in pack A.
almo89
Legend

not matter what there will be 18,000 at GM place. What's gonna kill the Lions is that tons of ppl will stay home to watch the Canuck game on the tube.
Why should the LIONS change their schedule which has been out since what, February??
You've got a point there and i agree with it but they can't do anything about. It's up to the Lions to change things up. I mean nothing is fair in life just like this situation.