QB or System?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

What is the reason for BC's successful QB situation?

Gifted QB's?
77%
Great O foundation?
23%

Total votes: 30
Rammer
Team Captain

Given the success that the Lions are currently enjoying with the QB production, is it the system the Lions have or is it the QB's themselves?

Thinking that we do have alot of very talented receivers who go out and get the balls thrown their way and the Wally O scheme that was proven during his Calgary days with similar QB findings, is it the QB's?

We insert Wynn into a couple of games with big pressure on and he enjoys success, and this year he is on the outside looking in on a suspect Winnipeg team.
Entertainment value = an all time low
squishy35
Legend

I give lots of credit to Bob O'Billovich and the scouting staff. They have a great talent for finding QB talent suitable to the CFL :beer:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Squishy, you should give equal credit to the internet and the Lions use of free agent camps like the one in Lake Oswego, Oregon where several current Lions turned up including Buck Pierce from his home near the Calif- Oregon border. Don't forget the story that Buck Pierce found out about the Lion's Lake Oswego camp the day or night before the camp. Imagine what would have happened if Buck Pierce was in New Mexico when he read it on the internet and not in Gasquet, California near the Oregon border?

I read in the Sun in an article by Lyndon Little on Aug 11 this:

"Acree attended the Lions' May free agent camp in Portland, the one that turned out to be so productive for the Leos. Acree is one of four players -- quarterback Buck Pierce, injured receiver Tony Simmons and defensive back Ryan Phillips are the others -- signed out of that camp who are still with the team."

If these four were all self-invited players and I don't know if all four were, this says as much for the internet as a tool to attract talent not bound for the NFL as it does for the college records of QBs like Buck where he was rated by one source as no. 22 in college ball, yet not drafted due to stupidity in the NFL and just missed by CFL scouts. CFL scouting is not as big as the NFL of course.

The success at QB probably has to be credited to Wally Buono and his beliefs as he has focused on more than having just one go to guy pulling the trigger. Look at his Calgary QBs and line of progression he had going there pre-nutbar ownership.

The ability to identify talent is the next key ingredient and this is a coaching decision I guess and whoever brought these guys to their attention in the first place. Not so sure it was scouts who got Printers, but not sure.

The system they are employing offensively is probably less a factor as all teams have sound offensive systems. What I think BC offers is what Pierce said after an exhibition game and that he has never seen such a talented group of receivers all on the same team and guys who think like QBs out there. That is more likely a factor over the system in my mind.

Getting guys decent reps in practice and time in games is huge. The Lions seem to be doing good on the practice side. Buck should have got more time last night with Dickenson hurt and Casey struggling.

I have yet to hear what resulted in Spurgeon Wynn being tossed to the PR. It could have been the team struggling and that is not the best place to be for a new QB, I don't know. There seemed to be a lot of turmoil with the QBs in Winnipeg.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy