Pick The Starter

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Which QB do YOU want to see start vs Calgary

Dickenson
64%
Printers
24%
What the hell - Pierce
12%

Total votes: 86
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I just can't believe that people picked Printers, especially after the rust and poor decision-making he showed last week. Sure, it was understandable given his long layoff, lack of game preparation and the fact his shoulder is only at 90% in his own estimation. He won the game (with a lot of help from the defence) but he's no Dave Dickenson. Not yet. I hope Printers and Pierce get lots of opportunities to hone their skills in the weeks ahead but I hope those opportunities all come after DD gets the Lions up by 30 points.
harry

Damn, will this crap ever end. People....how quickly you forget.....
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

It's a hell of lot better than being a Hamilton fan and debating McManus vs. Brady vs. Jones, or a Winnipeg fan debating Glenn vs. Martin!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I caught part of the practice today and Casey wasn't throwing any time I was there. Not sure if he is banged up??

Pierce looked good but for one throw behind Thelwell. This is Buck's first year out of college and he looks real good with a lot of upside to him.

Dave D looked good and hope this works for him and not screwing his back again. He was trying some hard throws which can't be easy with a sore back.

Jarius took some reps and was trying 40 yarders for quite of bit his throws and not all of them work of course. He is a pretty athletic guy.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

There is no controversy right now. You want one? Start Printers with a healthy Dickenson in the sideline.

Dave has earned the starters role through camp and his awesome numbers to start the year. That's the way it shook down and Casey AND HIS FANS are going to have to deal with that.

Ticket sales are just fine with Dave at the helm.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
LFITQ
Team Captain

There is no controversy right now.
I call BS.

There IS a controversy starting to brew.

Jarius Jackson is starting to take some reps in proactice which means there is possible controversy on the horizon as to who is #3. Will it be Jarius or Buck? Will Buono please let us know so we can get the incessant stories of impending doom due to a QB controversy over and done with!!!! Oh the mayhem ...
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

harry wrote:Damn, will this crap ever end. People....how quickly you forget.....
Forget what?

The 5-0 start and 75% pass completions?

Or did you mean how CP forgot to slide and instead ran out of bounds stopping the clock with 1:30 to go.

please enlighten us as to what WE forgot Harry?
I have my head up my butt - 120db
Rammer
Team Captain

Yank In BC wrote:
harry wrote:Damn, will this crap ever end. People....how quickly you forget.....
Forget what?

The 5-0 start and 75% pass completions?

Or did you mean how CP forgot to slide and instead ran out of bounds stopping the clock with 1:30 to go.

please enlighten us as to what WE forgot Harry?
I did right after the W, lesson learned without costing us anything.
Entertainment value = an all time low
azura64

Well I think Dave is better with Stamps 3/4 defense. Printers had a whole lot of trouble last year with this. Living here in Cow town being a die hard Lions fan this caused many jabs from co-workers. My only concern is that Dave get's the ball off quickly or gets enough protection from the O Line
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:
There is no controversy right now.
I call BS.

There IS a controversy starting to brew.

Jarius Jackson is starting to take some reps in proactice which means there is possible controversy on the horizon as to who is #3. Will it be Jarius or Buck? Will Buono please let us know so we can get the incessant stories of impending doom due to a QB controversy over and done with!!!! Oh the mayhem ...
I had to read your post a second time as I nearly fell for your point.

The team needs four quality QBs to make sure they aren't an injury or two from watching the 2005 Grey Cup from the bleachers. Longer term - after this year - it may not be possible to keep both 1 and 2 guys now as both will want to be number 1 guys and Casey will cost next year or so more money than he apparently gets right now -although if he doesn't see much action this year, it gets harder and harder for his agent to make the case about 2004 and MOP.

3 and 4 guys are both interesting for discussion as one or both are likely to be needed in future. I admit to liking what I see in the progress and development of Buck Pierce during the times I have watched the Lion's practices - 4 times - plus the exhibition game.

Buck Pierce looks to be a good learner, still young as he is in his first year as a pro, unlikely to be worried about not being in the NFL if he can make it here big, possesses patience, and has loads of upside potential. He can rifle the ball, has accurate throws and a good sense of ball management.

A coach has to consider how a guy goes from college star last season to how he handles dressing for games and looking stylish in his kit holding a clip board. The fourth guy doesn't even get to dress but looks good holding the clip board in alternate quarters.

My sense is that Buck Pierce is a smart enough guy to realize that it is about what he can learn this year from watching and taking practice reps, regardless if he sees much playing action. Of course he wants to play but the issue for a rookie is do you want a long career where you make good progress each year and then get the starting spot a year or three out, or do you want to be on a crap team being thrown to the wolves and have a short career? It appears to be the turbulent way in Winnipeg with QBs changing positions on the depth chart more times than the Winnipeg offence has scored TDs this year!

I suspect that Jarius Jackson can play also as he has been around both NFL and Europe teams for some time. I have no idea how well he played as I don't recall watching too closely the Europe games. How much upside he has compared to Pierce is not known as I have seen the guy less and he did lose his exhibition season to that hand injury in his first play so it is hard to judge. He was from the same graduating year as Spurgeon Wynn was I think.

This is a solid group of QBs for the Lions to work with and the good teams will always be looking past the no. 1 and 2 guys to the future like BC seems to be doing and like Edmonton always has done as did Calgary under Buono and pre-ownership issues.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
LFITQ
Team Captain

I had to read your post a second time as I nearly fell for your point.
Damn and here I was hoping to land a whopper ... 8)

And to think I left out the little smilies and everything ... :bang: :bang:
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??