Is Tom Wright a lame duck Commish? Is he still Commish?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Should Tom Wright be fired?

yes
2%
no
98%

Total votes: 44
derekrazzellsballs

I heard that Mr. Wright was told that by today he had to accept the one year extension on his deal or move on to greener pastures. Anyone hear anything on this?
Arny
Champion

I just don't get the B.O.G. sometimes. We've all talked about this before so I won't rehash it. but you just have to shake your head sometimes. :no:
derekrazzellsballs

Sorry for the repost. I just heard some stuff lately about some things Wright has said he would do that have put himself and maybe some owners in a precarious position.re: Salary Cap, not fining teams for exceeding it, the hush money, the Gliebermans etc.....

That being said I like Tom and think he should stay. :thup:
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I think he should tell the owners to shove their ultimatium.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I see absolutely no tangible reason for firing the Commissioner.
LFITQ
Team Captain

I think I am more interested in a response if someone votes "yes fire him" ...
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
maddeep73
Champion

Seriously... things are great right now for the league. Even if the owners think it's 'in spite' of Wright they'd be absolutely nuts to fire him.

This league finally has credibility again and the focus is on the field and the hawk owners are about to blow it. Hate to say it but Braley's almost certainly the ring leader of this misguided bunch.
Keepin' it real
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I voted No because he's done a great job with the business side, but I think Wright needs to keep his mouth shut about his disagreements with the BOG and the lack of respect he feels. He seems to be the one who's making his contract status a public issue.
MacNews
Team Captain

They should offer him a 3 year deal and get it over with.
Lady_Lioness

As far as I am concerned, Wright has done so much for the league. All that should overwrite whatever issues the owners have with him. During his tenue, the league has gotten strong and healthy again , attendence and interest has gone up in every single market. This ultimatum that has been issued on him to sign the one year contract by tomorrow is BS IMO!!
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:I voted No because he's done a great job with the business side, but I think Wright needs to keep his mouth shut about his disagreements with the BOG and the lack of respect he feels. He seems to be the one who's making his contract status a public issue.
Actually the BOG made it public when they were set to "ease" him out before the season when he was on vacation in France. The back lash from the sponsers and the public put that on hold.
I have my head up my butt - 120db
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Wright talks out both sides of his mouth. He says the BOG shouldn't breach confidences and discuss his contract negotiations in public, then he goes ahead and does it himself, listing his demands for new working conditions. The guy is making $400,000 a year. When Casey Printers or Jason Medlock yap publicly about not getting their due respect, fans rightly jump all over them. Why should Tom Wright get a free pass?

Here's a quote from Wright in a June 20 article by a sympathetic journalist, Herb Zurkowsky of the Montreal Gazette:
"Absolutely, I want to remain. But only under the proper circumstances. I have to be provided with the tools, resources, support and information to carry out the mandate of being the chief executive officer of this league. The world knows those requirements. When the governors went public with their complaints, that was completely unnecessary. No commissioner should have to go through that situation. I have no problem with a good healthy dialogue ... but I've never provided the basis for breaches of confidence."

Really? Then why is he griping publicly?

Here's another quote from a CP article in The Province May 15, based on an interview with Wright during his vacation in Paris:
"I want to have complete clarity on roles and responsibility and authority. I understand completely how governance works and how good governance must work. But ultimately there needs to be a clear understanding between the role of a CEO, or in my case the commissioner, and the role of the board of directors, and in my case the board of governors."

Wright is a stubborn guy, and the BOG is full of stubborn guys who don't often agree with each other, let alone the commissioner. But Wright has proven to be very willing to use the media to further his contract negotiations and portray himself as the good guy in a clash of egos and philosophies. I doubt that his posturing makes him more likeable to the BOG.
maddeep73
Champion

Regardless, Wright has done more than enough to remain the Commishioner for at least 3 years.

Agreed that he shouldn't have negotiated in Public or aired his greviences, but lets face it the owners have been less than secretive about their desire to turf him. I still think it would be a total public relations nightmare to do so.
Keepin' it real
KC

You don't even hear his name any where. I had to think for a moment, to who he was. Braley's been doing more for the leaque the he has.......................................................KC 8)
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

What's wrong with asking for a clear job description?
B.C.FAN wrote:Wright talks out both sides of his mouth. He says the BOG shouldn't breach confidences and discuss his contract negotiations in public, then he goes ahead and does it himself, listing his demands for new working conditions. The guy is making $400,000 a year. When Casey Printers or Jason Medlock yap publicly about not getting their due respect, fans rightly jump all over them. Why should Tom Wright get a free pass?

Here's a quote from Wright in a June 20 article by a sympathetic journalist, Herb Zurkowsky of the Montreal Gazette:
"Absolutely, I want to remain. But only under the proper circumstances. I have to be provided with the tools, resources, support and information to carry out the mandate of being the chief executive officer of this league. The world knows those requirements. When the governors went public with their complaints, that was completely unnecessary. No commissioner should have to go through that situation. I have no problem with a good healthy dialogue ... but I've never provided the basis for breaches of confidence."

Really? Then why is he griping publicly?

Here's another quote from a CP article in The Province May 15, based on an interview with Wright during his vacation in Paris:
"I want to have complete clarity on roles and responsibility and authority. I understand completely how governance works and how good governance must work. But ultimately there needs to be a clear understanding between the role of a CEO, or in my case the commissioner, and the role of the board of directors, and in my case the board of governors."

Wright is a stubborn guy, and the BOG is full of stubborn guys who don't often agree with each other, let alone the commissioner. But Wright has proven to be very willing to use the media to further his contract negotiations and portray himself as the good guy in a clash of egos and philosophies. I doubt that his posturing makes him more likeable to the BOG.