Jerel Myers WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Should Jerel Myers be cut?

Yes
13%
No
88%

Total votes: 48
MacNews
Team Captain

I think it comes down to the S/T coach not telling Myers all the rules. The coach should take most of the blame, this is Game 2 and obvious Myers doesn't know all the CFL rules because he's new to the team, but it's Game 2 and the coach doesn't tell him the intricacies of the Canadian game? :?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Probably Myers' biggest mistake was running the one back in exhibition. When you're a rookie getting your first touch on the ball in regular season your eyes are going to over-rule your head. With his exhibition success he probably had the far endzone in his sights. He likely had instructions to give up the single unless he saw a good opening. Despite that with every move in the endzone he's probably thinking "If I can just beat this next guy........". Trouble is to a youngster like him a hole like |----| looks to his eyes to be like |--------------------------------------|.
I'm sure Myers learned a very valuable lesson tonight in CFL Runbacks 101 class.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

squishy35 wrote:He will never make that mistake again.

"We learn by doing" Admiral James T. Kirk
Totally agree !!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

MacNews wrote:I think it comes down to the S/T coach not telling Myers all the rules. The coach should take most of the blame, this is Game 2 and obvious Myers doesn't know all the CFL rules because he's new to the team, but it's Game 2 and the coach doesn't tell him the intricacies of the Canadian game? :?
It is mere speculation that the coach did not tell him the intricacies of the Canadian game.
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

If guys got cut because of rookie mistakes or one bad game, O'Mahoney, Marsh, and Young would've been gone a year ago.

And Myers is not the problem on this team. I'm not worried about the fumble.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:Probably Myers' biggest mistake was running the one back in exhibition. When you're a rookie getting your first touch on the ball in regular season your eyes are going to over-rule your head. With his exhibition success he probably had the far endzone in his sights. He likely had instructions to give up the single unless he saw a good opening. Despite that with every move in the endzone he's probably thinking "If I can just beat this next guy........". Trouble is to a youngster like him a hole like |----| looks to his eyes to be like |--------------------------------------|.
I'm sure Myers learned a very valuable lesson tonight in CFL Runbacks 101 class.
Add in the fact that Lockett had already returned a kick for a TD and this was Myers one and only chance at showcasing his abilities.......IMHO, it's pretty understandable why he had the brain fart.
Lloyd
rb
Champion

Refs are idiots. Renegades are dirty. Myers is the dumbest guy ever.

There is an unfortunate pattern to the contributions (?) of this thread starter.
TheZeppo
Starter

rb wrote:Refs are idiots. Renegades are dirty. Myers is the dumbest guy ever.

There is an unfortunate pattern to the contributions (?) of this thread starter.

He is also the same guy who never goes to home games, and who stated on this board after a Lions' loss last year that "he was done with this team".
hutch
Champion

mrlion wrote:So what if this guy had done it in the Grey Cup!? Oh well no big deal, huh?
It wasn't the Grey Cup.....get over it!
LFITQ
Team Captain

I was just as furious as the stupidity of the decision as anyone was.

But I gotta put the blame on the coaches who didn't give the rookie clear and precise instructions. I also have to put the blame on the coaches for not getting Meyers into the game more before that. You don't throw a guy in practically cold and tell him to run it out if he sees the chance.

Here's a rookie who hasn't seen the ball all game (and not much all season) who was lighting it up in the returns department in pre-season. He then sees an opportunity to touch the ball and make something happen - thus being able to contribute to the team and show what he can do ...

He's a rookie ... he made a HUGE mistake ... but as other's have said he won't do it again - but which I also take to mean that on the next field goal attempt by the other team I will want him back there because he will be eager to show that he has learned from that mistake.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Quote from Wally this morning:

"I think he understands now when the ball's kicked deep, you take a knee," said Lions head coach Wally Buono. "When the ball's kicked short, you maybe give it a go. You have young players, you've got to be patient with them. Obviously he feels bad about that but, fortunately, for us it didn't cost us."
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
mrlion wrote:So what if this guy had done it in the Grey Cup!? Oh well no big deal, huh?
yes, it would be a big deal. It was a stupid mistake, but thats all. Why do you want to over react???

The lions won. Be happy
:whs:
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

theyre not going to cut him just cause of one mistake... just like Wally said "Jerel Made mistake, this one Just happened to be a 7 point mistake" :no: :sigh: :no: :sigh:
2012 Season Ticket Holder
smphantom
Legend

Give the dude a break. I was just to the right and behind him in the stands, and he had a little bit of a gap to try and get out but it closed quickly on him. I am positive if the score was closer, he would have taken a knee.

So what, it didn't cost us the game. :roll:
bbking
Starter

I agree its not a big deal , and he made a rookie mistake. But when your team is 15 points up , you give up the point . So I have to wonder if this is an example of Myers future decision making. One thing for sure Frankie Cutolo wouldnt of made that mistake. Luckily It doesnt cost them the game. Wally has shown us he can be patient. Lets hope Wally is right .I for one would like to see Myers get more chances to show us if he is capable of being an asset and improving the return game. :cr: