The Hi-energy In Stadium Announcer........

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Dou you think the Lions should fire the cheesy announcer guy?

Yes
37%
No
46%
Hire J Paul Mconnell
17%

Total votes: 52
footy
All Star

With all the NOOB's coming to Lions game this year they will need a little direction on chering or when NOT to cheer so I say keep him. Its so embaracing to see the Lions players telling fans to keep quiet and not start the wave :oops: when we are on offence !
MrsLFITQ

Decided to throw in my 2 cents. I have enjoyed seeing the Lions trying to get people cheering at the right times over the last season - between the annoucer and the big screen signs (ie "shhh offence working"). A lot of the folks coming to the games need the help.

When I first went to games, I thought the wave was cool but now completely agree with Yank & Hambone. It is distracting when its done at the wrong time and even when started at a good time, it usually carries over into the wrong time because it takes too long to stop.

With an increase in newbies, stuff needs to be done to keep the exciting involved atmosphere and unless there is a better announcer available stick with the one we've got.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

ya know, some of those new bees could be old bees coming back, maybe?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Spergons_angel

lol I only go to like one or two games a season, so thats not enough to make me hate the guy..i don't mind him though
MrsLFITQ

KnowItAll wrote:ya know, some of those new bees could be old bees coming back, maybe?
I guess some could be, but sure seems to be lots of people who don't know football cheering etiquette. :?
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

we should make a petition to make some videoboard lessons about how to cheer
2012 Season Ticket Holder
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

MrsLFITQ wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:ya know, some of those new bees could be old bees coming back, maybe?
I guess some could be, but sure seems to be lots of people who don't know football cheering etiquette. :?
I am pretty quiet in the stands myself. Always bugs me when my wife screams too loud in my ear. However, I didnt know there was such a thing as cheering etiquette. Except for the obvious no-no of making too much noise just as our offense is putting the ball in play, I thought everything else goes? Shows what I know,sigh
MrsLFITQ

When my other half started taking me to football games he taught me the 3 rules of cheering etiquette (of course, he didn't say etiquette since its a girly word, but I like the word so I use it 8) ). Just in case anyone browsing this site doesn't know them here they are (I know everybody posting her knows what to do :wink: )
KIA, you have got #1 right
the obvious no-no of making too much noise just as our offense is putting the ball in play
#2 is just make lots of noise in key moments when you're teams defense needs some help. Eric Carter caught my attention and became my favourite player a few years ago when he'd be out on their waving his arms to get the crowd cheering to help the defense. But the players really shouln't have to tell the crowd when to cheer. :sigh: :no:
Finally #3 is always applaud when injured player is taken off field even if they're from the other team.
LFITQ
Team Captain

MrsLFITQ wrote:When my other half started taking me to football games he taught me the 3 rules of cheering etiquette (of course, he didn't say etiquette since its a girly word, but I like the word so I use it 8) ). Just in case anyone browsing this site doesn't know them here they are (I know everybody posting her knows what to do :wink: )
the obvious no-no of making too much noise just as our offense is putting the ball in play
#2 is just make lots of noise in key moments when you're teams defense needs some help. Eric Carter caught my attention and became my favourite player a few years ago when he'd be out on their waving his arms to get the crowd cheering to help the defense. But the players really shouln't have to tell the crowd when to cheer. :sigh: :no:
Finally #3 is always applaud when injured player is taken off field even if they're from the other team.
:bawl: :bawl: You know it's moments like these that make you so proud .... :bawl: :bawl:
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:
MrsLFITQ wrote:When my other half started taking me to football games he taught me the 3 rules of cheering etiquette (of course, he didn't say etiquette since its a girly word, but I like the word so I use it 8) ). Just in case anyone browsing this site doesn't know them here they are (I know everybody posting her knows what to do :wink: )
:bawl: :bawl: You know it's moments like these that make you so proud .... :bawl: :bawl:
I notice she didnt say BETTER half, heh heh
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

MrsLFITQ wrote:Finally #3 is always applaud when injured player is taken off field even if they're from the other team.
Good one -- goes for all sports, not just football. Only exceptions to this one I can recall are Ulf Samuelsson after Tie Domi laid him out in TO, and Dallas Cowboy WR Michael Irvin's final game, which happened to be in Philly. Neither was exactly a beloved figure in the road venues of his respective league, and both received lusty boos.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
MacNews
Team Captain

:lol: Great post KIA!

While I think doing the wave on offense is silly, I also believe that the negative effects are over-rated.. Lions82 is going to make the catch whether the wave is going or not!
MarinerIslanderSean
prospect

Yeah, we need to get rid of him. When an announcer shows some intensity, it should not sound forced. Unfortunately with this guy, it does. Someone who sounds hardcore should be fine.
B.C. LIONS: GREY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1964 1985, 1994, 2000, 2006
NEW YORK ISLANDERS: STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1980 1981 1982 1983
SEATTLE MARINERS: AL WEST CHAMPIONS - 1995, 1997, 2001